Satellite or internet for new smart TV in new house?

CarlBkk

I need some opinions here because this is quite new to me: I have a new build house in Bkk and very soon I will need to choose an internet provider/speed to use with 2 smart TVs.

This is what I want:

To watch British TV in the living room and bedroom (i players mostly). Right now I do this with the free Hola download but have the hassle to connecting it to a laptop each time)

Watch Netflix.

Download high res music.

More channels would be a bonus (MTV, movies, some sport).

I saw some houses install satellite dishes presumably for a huge range of channels. I'm not big on watching sport or series but the equivalent to Freeview would suffice.

What would be my best option and what would be the price? Thanks in advance.

Many will recommend the Kodi road, but if you want fairly painless, buy a Roku and set up a UK account. I'm an American so a friend kindly let me use her UK credit card to get the account going.

After that, set up geo blocking on your router then your network will look like it's in the UK.

Then the whole thing becomes seamless, and you'll have access to all the UK channels, and since you are British with a UK credit card can choose to subscribe to Sky's Now tv which will give you more access as well as Netflix, Amazon etc

PM me if you want some more details.

post-97442-0-16361400-1454167152_thumb.j

Edited by GinBoy2

I have found the new cable internet from true at 699 + vat per month good value ( 18 meg ) it also gives you a free phone line and free 300bt of phone calls per month plus a true visions box with basic package, again free. Fast and reliable.

Forget the smart tv options. They are useless. Not supporting the best apps.

Get a android box aND the world is ur oyster

Personally, I prefer the Windows TV boxes. (I have a Pipo X8 that works great with Kodi, and with streaming web services that smart TVs can't handle). Better still, it works with Steam, so can play some games natively, or if performance is an issue, can stream them from my PC.

Admittedly, the 2G/32G basically forces you to add a micro-SD card if you want to do much with it, but the newer ones with 4G/64G (like the Pipo X6S - would get away from that being a necessity...)

I did have an android box (a g-box midnight), that worked well with XBMC, and for streaming, but once it stopped being supported by the manufacturer, your only hope for upgrades (like with mobile phones), is if it's on the list of devices supported by something like cyanogen.

With a Windows box, you can still update Windows even if the manufacturer does nothing.

I have a mag box which u can buy from Aliexpress for about 2000 baht Inc delivery by DHL. Then you can buy a UK package from TVAWAY (see their website) which gives you all the UK channels Inc all the sky channels, movies, sport, plus all BBC ITV All Discovery Channels...The list is endless and excellent value at about 1100 baht a month. Picture quality is great. Plus for a internet service it's very stable. Also have 2 week catch up tv on most channels.

I ordered a "Teevee" box the other day from UK. I don't have it yet so can't give an opinion, but maybe in a week or two I'll have some info. What appealed to me is that because my tv is not 'smart' this fills the gap to make it smart, and it's a one time price and no monthly costs.

if you want to follow UK TV live, then you would have to accept the time difference. Means you are watching TV from lunch to midnight? Hmmmh.

If you want STREAMING FREE or to download ALL UK and ALL US channels go to "schoener-fernsehen.com" , a German provider with many language options.

I use that provider for many years already.

In the U S., the HD picture quality is slightly degraded with cable providers compared to the flawless satellite channels. There are 800 or 900 channels, so the cable companies compress the signal to squeeze them all in. Not an issue with satellite providers, which offer all the same channels. I am very fussy about picture quality and when I stayed at a friend's house and watched his brand-new 50" Sharp TV, I thought there was something wrong, either the TV itself or the cable company. To me the HD content looked like merely excellent standard definition--maybe 650p or something like that. Then I read about the inferior cable signal feed due to compression. I go with satellite which as I said provide flawless HD. Even their customer service is good as long as you phone them instead of trying to accomplish anything online. Perhaps the picture problem is not a factor in countries that aren't trying to provide 800+ channels.