SURVEY: Is it getting easier or more difficult to stay in Thailand?

SURVEY: Is it getting easier or more difficult to stay in Thailand?   

420 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has remained the same in the 10 years I have been coming for the Winter. BUT it will be impossible for me to obtain a tourist visa from the UK for next winter unless they change recently introduced rules. This is because my income is from 'letting' and is classified neither as employed or self-employed income which is the requirement. It is classified separately by the UK tax authorities as 'Income from land and property'.

I hope Thaivisa.com can lobby the Thai authorities and point this out, because surely, if not retired, most who are employed or self-employed cannot come for 6 months can they, as they must work!?! It is only those of 'independent means' who have income from 'not' working or savings or a private pension who can come for that length of time.

Letting is also classified by HMRC as a business.

As I already said, and I complete my own self-assessment every year ....."income from letting is classified neither as employed or self-employed income which is the requirement. It is classified separately by the UK tax authorities as 'Income from land and property'"......and there is no reference to it being 'a business'.

I have a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests immigration are getting much more into dotting "i"s and crossing "t"s........... however some people are reluctant to say they are in difficulties.

Also the new tourist visas make it less easy for those staying between jobs......

i have even heard a tax official complaining about the extra work sent to her via immigration.......

it also looks as if teams of jobsworths are being posted to various immigration offices to do this.....so i you haven't noticed anything....don't worry, you turn will come....and you may not even be applying for a visa or extension...I've heard of people with problems on their 90 day reporting taking hours instead of minutes.

Edited by cumgranosalum

• 1 month later...

Off topic, but quote from #46 : "I get most of my money by ATM. I found the receipts become no good after a few months. the ink fades and it becomes a blank piece of paper with the banks name on it.All the money info is gone."

I use an app on my iPhone / iPad called Scanner Pro to take scans of those ATM receipts, and save them that way. Also I remember reading somewhere that you can still view them under a UV light if they are faded.

Edited by phetphet

It's easy as that: show my passport, fill in a form, show my pension statement....that's it. So it's all the same as before. No hassle, no sweat.....Another year with a visa...

Really? Do you think the 90 day reporting process, residency or lease or rent documentation has gotten easier?

Certainly harder for some groups. The folk living here under 50 now only have setv. I know METV exist but many hurdles for some. Not the least of going to own country to obtain.

Elite too expensive for many.

The overstay community is about to commense living on the edge if not cleared soon. Even then what for them. Ween them onto setv. That won't be easy. Not to mention funds.

I think those who think the Status quo is the situation may get a nasty shock if their local immigration is visited by the team of "jobsworths" that visited a local office I frequent. It looks to me as if there is a "trouble-shooting" team doing the rounds - their main objective seems to be to make sure every t is crossed and i is dotted........it seems that they aren't even that popular with the local officers and the delays a queues they create can be frustrating to say the least. I also got the impression that there is little method to this "madness" in that they don't note or write down anything they do - they appear just to think of a regulation and hope that it hits a target - on returning there is no record of there request.

Was first hear on "B" visa with work permit in 2001. Made one trip to Immigration and labor dept (no one stop office). Remember when they started making you go in person for the yearly extension in about 2004 or so. Boy, did we ever complain about how difficult Immigration was making it...had to go in person...what a hassle. Life as we know it is definitely coming to an end.

So, yeah, it's gotten more difficult over the years as Immigration has struggled to contain the people that abuse the system.

The issue in Chaing Mai appears to be a facility problem. Glad that bangkok opened Chang Wattana a few years ago (though a bit of a hassle to get to). Can you imagine getting all those people into the old office at Suan Plu?

TH

what is a genuin tourist by the way ? a guy with a Canon around his neck?

Do tell us what a "genuine" tourist is ...................

I think a "genuine" tourist is the vast majority of the millions of people who come to Thailand to enjoy their short holiday and who then return home .

Your definition of "tourist" is ? What ?

It's easy as that: show my passport, fill in a form, show my pension statement....that's it. So it's all the same as before. No hassle, no sweat.....Another year with a visa...

Really? Do you think the 90 day reporting process, residency or lease or rent documentation has gotten easier?

It's exactly the same today as it's been for years, no change in fact. If anything it's become easier because of the ease with which agents have entered the picture and now do all the leg work.

It's exactly the same today as it's been for years, no change in fact. If anything it's become easier because of the ease with which agents have entered the picture and now do all the leg work.

Everything is always easy, anywhere in the world, for those with unlimited funds.

But it's harder for normal people, those who have limited pensions or need to work for a living in Thailand.