Studio Or 1 Bedroom Apt. 3-7000 Baht Monthly?

damian5000

Hello,

Is it possible to find an apt. in the 3-7000 Baht range in Chiang Mai? Can anyone recommend some specific places or areas? I don't need anything fancy, though AC would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

you'll find plenty of choices in that range, and many with aircon. If you want to live in downtown touristville, try Night Bazaar Condotel in the soi behind the Night Bazaar Bldg. i know one person who lives there and likes it, but I woudn't want to live in the middle of the bar & tourist area.

There are quite a few places on and near Huay Kaew Rd (near Central shopping centre). See my other post on this forum for one where a friend lives and likes it. You can also do the legwork and just ask everywhere that looks promising.

Hello,

Is it possible to find an apt. in the 3-7000 Baht range in Chiang Mai? Can anyone recommend some specific places or areas? I don't need anything fancy, though AC would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

There's the Huay Kaew Residence, just off the NW corner of the moat, 200 yards up Huay Kaew Rd, next door to Orchid Hotel, which in turn is next to the Central shopping Mall (Kad Suan Kaew).

New, all conveniences including ASDL. Last I heard studios were Bt 4000 + electricity, water and ADSL connection (Bt 400/month?). One bedrooms I think would be from Bt 6 500 to Bt 12 500.

Don't have the website, but you can get info via [email protected].

There's the Huay Kaew Residence, just off the NW corner of the moat, 200 yards up Huay Kaew Rd, next door to Orchid Hotel, which in turn is next to the Central shopping Mall (Kad Suan Kaew).

New, all conveniences including ASDL. Last I heard studios were Bt 4000 + electricity, water and ADSL connection (Bt 400/month?). One bedrooms I think would be from Bt 6 500 to Bt 12 500.

Someone at my aptmnt block said he stayed there and they ripped pharangs off and were very dodgy in general. He was quite adamant about it.

I'm staying 5 min walk from there for 4.5k in a studio. It's clean and quite nice. PM me if you want the address.

I'm looking for another place though cuz I need the net for work, and the net connection here is turning me into a violent psychopath. Apart from that, I quite like the place, the price, and it's location.

Don't have the website, but you can get info via [email protected].

Roflmao :o Remove the "info@"

Average Condo range from 200 baht - 5000 in cosy area in the middle of the town ,, when you hunt around ,

please not a few importance thing ,..

WATER -- some condo use recycle water - you will never be clean and will alway feel sticky

no matter how much shower you take - i know cos i been in one and lucky i enjoy swiming and i take my shower at the pool every day instead of at home .

Usually is free or 50 baht - 100 baht depend on the term you ask for .

ELECTRICAL BILL>.... CONDO charge a Diffrent RATE .

SOme charges 4 BAHT per UNIT . some is 5 BAHT some is 6 Some is 7 some as high as 9 baht PEr unit ..

TRUST ME >. this make alot of diffrent .. - please check .. and compare with others ..

some CONDO rip customer off using this Weird charges ,

I know some HOTEL take Monthly rental .. come with Room service ..

PLease check carfully .. rental maybe is 3,000 to 5000 baht . but each room service is 100 baht .

last .. i see no a waste of money to go for anything rental about 6k . as by far i know there is alot . between 3-4k range with good room and water as well as air ..

happy hunting , if you really can't find one .. let me know i give you a few direction ..

the only reason i did not point you a condo is cos .. i hate the idea of being blame for helping ..

so i rather point out the thing you should look out for and the price range .. so you can see for it yoruself ..

Thanks all for the advice... Anyone else have personal experience with Huay Kaew Residence? The PICTURES look nice... Laughing.

Ta22, Your advice is appreciated and I'll make sure to check into those things before taking a room. And, I would not blame you if I had some problem with a room you suggested. If you could give the name of where some of these decent 3-4000 Baht rooms, it would be great.

Another point to consider is the quality of the air conditioning, if you are getting a room with aircon. The power consumption and overall comfort between a relatively new, quiet and slim unit as opposed to a larger older unit is considerable. So with a high electricity price per unit as well as old aircon units, you are looking at high electricity bills.

Also make sure you ask the landlord who is supposed to pay if things are broken. Some landlords will let you pay for things, even if they break due to long wear and tear which was not caused by your use only.

HK is small... Clean, good security, great location but small, and after you add the internet (SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW) and aircon you are paying 5k for a TINY apartment.

I have a friend who is looking to rent out her studio in Chom Doi for 4000B, I was living there for 3 months with my Fiancee. But I returned home (still am) for a month and now it is free. Decent sized, big bed, internet is fast, aircon is great and it has huge windows that let you see Doi Suthep.

Also the bar across the street gives a free bottle of pipers for the first 10 tables :o

Give me a pm if anyone wants more info.

She speaks great English too btw.

Thanks all for the advice... Anyone else have personal experience with Huay Kaew Residence? The PICTURES look nice... Laughing.

Ta22, Your advice is appreciated and I'll make sure to check into those things before taking a room. And, I would not blame you if I had some problem with a room you suggested. If you could give the name of where some of these decent 3-4000 Baht rooms, it would be great.

Wizzard of Oz' pal didn't like Huay Kaew Residence, they "ripped him off", were "dodgy". I put a big questionmark here. In my humble opinion this might be a case of bad farang behaviour. To check out Huay Kaew, visit (if you're in CM, that is) the coffee shop in house 5. An American, John, runs it and knows most farangs in the complex. He has never heard of any farang complaining of mistreatment, on the contrary.

Another matter is whether you want to live in high rise (8 floors) modern buildings - the complex I think has some 300 apartments - (just) outside the old city or if you prefer a condo inside the moat, which will never be more than 5 stories (and often pretty seedy). Huay Kaew is sometims frowned upon because it rather looks like a modern hospital or factory, no "quaintness" here!

Incidentally, I hear the ADSL has been upgraded, from what to what I don't know.

And, it beeing a new complex, the AC is new - and silent.

• 1 month later...

I have bee living in Huay keaw residence for 7 months now, I have no real complaints. The one moan I have is the 50B fine for locking yourselve out of your room and the extra hassle of getting in after 7 as the office is shut. my bills are never over B5000 for everything (water electricity and internet(B300)) except laundry(B350 a month). The rooms are clean and modern, I have a large fridge, a decent tv (althogh wetv is a bit grainy), aircon and hot water. There is a gym which is fre until the end of the year and a large swimming pool has just been built but is not opening until they have their license from the govt.

I have been told by one guy that they went through his room with a toothpick and charged him for any slight damage to the room but he thought this was down to him not honouring the min 3 months rent agreement. I have heard of no other complaints.

HK is small... Clean, good security, great location but small, and after you add the internet (SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW) and aircon you are paying 5k for a TINY apartment.

I have a friend who is looking to rent out her studio in Chom Doi for 4000B, I was living there for 3 months with my Fiancee. But I returned home (still am) for a month and now it is free. Decent sized, big bed, internet is fast, aircon is great and it has huge windows that let you see Doi Suthep.

Also the bar across the street gives a free bottle of pipers for the first 10 tables :o

where is this bar?

where is this bar?

My post counter is stuck look at my last two posts they both have 268 on them, I have a feeling it has been stuck on this figure for a while now, why!

Also the bar across the street gives a free bottle of pipers for the first 10 tables :D

where is this bar?

My post counter is stuck look :o at my last two posts they both have 268 on them, I have a feeling it has been stuck on this figure for a while now, why!

Oh I see now thay are all on 269 :D

I'd been in Changers 2 days already and backpacker-crawling innercity moat zone was seriously loosing the groove.

The potential savings and style of apartmentsville beckoned and It was time to hit the road and find somewhere. I arrived at expatsville Huay Kaew but was hitting a blank with some smaller nice places (one had 3 b. per unit electricity!) as all were fully booked. Now I turned to the massive sci-fi ish tower block that soars up into the sky 12 storeys. It was vacant and the price was right but without the critical ASDL rapido internet.

Then it was Hua Kaew Apartments but they were a dodgy looking lot and they were trying to hit me for 6,500 baht for one room, claimed it had ASDL (maybe WiFi?) but were unfriendly, and the rooms looked tatty and not looked after. Also the quality of the denizens was suspect. I kicked it into touch!

It looked like it was time to mosey on back to moatsville but then I found myself facing the massive apartment complex that is The Huay Kaew Residence.

Last chance saloon! In rode JK to see what was what. Heres the review.

The Good

Its not yet fully booked up but is nearly. I got the room for 4000 baht per month. There are rooms that go up to the 16,000 baht range! Sugar Daddy exec rooms!:D.

It has UBC, a decent balcony. An office chair! Half-decent furniture.

The ASDL internet and is pretty swift and its fast enough for my work. Its 300 Baht a month, not bad really.

The keyless entry system in the foyer is handy as I think any crazy ex gfs trying to get in will be put off by it!:D

The fridge is massive! its way too big for one person. Showers good, hot water. The buildings only a year old! It won't start to have problems with things for at least another three years I reckon. But nothing a decent maint. schedule won't fix.

Electricity is 6 Baht a Unit.

Water is a flat rate 150 Baht until 7 units is exceeded, then its 22 baht per unit. Conserve water is the key.

Crucially make sure you get a room with windows facing either north, south or east (coolest in afternoon/evening but morning sun can be harsh). They will be cooler and it will save you money in a.c bills.

No bills for cleaning! But thats because after the initial clean of the room you have to pay if you want it done!

The lift is rapid!

The Bad.

The Tenant rules may be offputting to some. But I think they are more get-out-clauses if the sht hits the fan, rather than 'lets screw over the falang'.

No loud noises, don't be anti social, don't alter the room in any way etc etc that kind of thing.

I had to sign a three page declaration of adherance to rules and these are the daft ones I've listed below. These included... No drinking alcohol in the room! I argued the toss about this rule with the office jockeys but they admit its company policy at the end of the day. Its good in a way as it cuts down on noisy fckers keeping you up all night (I suspect as long as your discrete it should be ok) Other 'funnies' include : no hanging sheets /clothing over the balcony rails (are they trying to look good for compared to the tower block over the road?) You are not allowed to leave you footware outside the room in the corridor! I was half expecting them to say I couldn't bring any girls back and that would of been the breaker, but you are ok for that! So I signed the forms of destiny!

The room came with no bed sheets, duvet or pillows at all! :o

When I grilled them about it they said only the big exec rooms for 16,000 baht come complete with sheets!

Moatsville was getting close, but the mall was closer so I just bought the sexy sheets, pillows and thin duvet from the mall! Cost about 3,000 baht all in for them. I grabbed the room.

Above all respect the room and don't damage it and you should be ok.

The Quirky.

The office workers who run the complex don't speak much english and this is probably where some expat folk have become unstuck. There is one guy who can speak some half decent english, all the others I can see are non-english speakers. Setting up ASDL internet is ok, but you need to be internet savvy enough to get your ip address (from your computer) and give it over the phone in your room (in thai) to the girl in the office. That done its a cinch from there.

The bed is not soft, but after two days of getting used to it its comfy enough.

The denizens of H.K Residence are an even mix of expat, tourist, and thais. A few well-heeled thai student kids stay here, which says something for this places street cred.

• 2 weeks later...