Transfer Of House And Land

Hello all,

First time posting but long time reader....I have a question about transfering the ownership of some land, and a house we recently built on it, to my wifes name from her fathers name. My wife and I were married three years ago and live in the U.S. My wifes father had promised her a parcel of land to build a house on..which we did this year ( just outside pimai) He now wants to transfer the ownership of said property officially to my wife. Will I run in to any problems? How do we go about explaining where the money for the house came from ( her father is just a small time rice farmer)

Any comments or suggestions would be great...thanks

Hello all,

First time posting but long time reader....I have a question about transfering the ownership of some land, and a house we recently built on it, to my wifes name from her fathers name. My wife and I were married three years ago and live in the U.S. My wifes father had promised her a parcel of land to build a house on..which we did this year ( just outside pimai) He now wants to transfer the ownership of said property officially to my wife. Will I run in to any problems? How do we go about explaining where the money for the house came from ( her father is just a small time rice farmer)

There should be no problems. They will probably still require you to sign the form regarding it not being community property. If not, or perhaps you could consider this anyway, put the land in your wife's name and the house in your name, or joint names. No queries then as to where money came from. Also it then comes within community property laws. :o

Hello all,

There should be no problems. They will probably still require you to sign the form regarding it not being community property. If not, or perhaps you could consider this anyway, put the land in your wife's name and the house in your name, or joint names. No queries then as to where money came from. Also it then comes within community property laws. :o

I think I would keep it in my wifes name. Do you think I ( as her husband) will have to sign any forms..or can the whole transaction be done between father and daughter?

Hello all,

There should be no problems. They will probably still require you to sign the form regarding it not being community property. If not, or perhaps you could consider this anyway, put the land in your wife's name and the house in your name, or joint names. No queries then as to where money came from. Also it then comes within community property laws. :D

I think I would keep it in my wifes name. Do you think I ( as her husband) will have to sign any forms..or can the whole transaction be done between father and daughter?

According to Thai Law you need to sign. However a recent poster said that the Land Office in his area assured him it was OK if it was mother/father. Not true, but then Land Offices frequently get the law wrong. :o

I bought some farm land for my Thai wife. When the deal closed at the land office she was told that I would have to accompany her to sign the form saying that I had no interest in the land. I also had to fill out the form myself. The form was partially in English and the rest Thai. With the help of the lady at the land office and my wife I was able to fill in what was needed and everyone was happy. The lady at the land office wanted me to understand what I was signing so there would be no problems down the road. I answered her in Thai that I already understood and she felt a lot more comfortable.

I bought some farm land for my Thai wife. When the deal closed at the land office she was told that I would have to accompany her to sign the form saying that I had no interest in the land. I also had to fill out the form myself. The form was partially in English and the rest Thai. With the help of the lady at the land office and my wife I was able to fill in what was needed and everyone was happy. The lady at the land office wanted me to understand what I was signing so there would be no problems down the road. I answered her in Thai that I already understood and she felt a lot more comfortable.

Thanks for the votes of confidence.I'm still a little worried about explaining the financial situation.The house was purchased with money sent to my wifes father...from my bank account.My wife can not show income equal to the cost of the house.My father in law also has signed all contracts with the contractor etc.

Will there be any problems at the land office due to the way this went down? Or is it all just a matter of signing a paper saying I have no claim to the house?What exactly are the forms I will have to sign?

I'm sorry if my questions are redundant.. I have not been able to find any info on other posts...and just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before we do the transfer....appreciate the help

The parents of my wife wanted to buy a house for her.

My wife was in Thailand (alone) while I was staying in Europe. So, I could not sign any paper.

My wife went to the land registration office together with the sellers and her parents. The officers over there told my wife that she could not buy the land without my signature. I should sign a paper confirming the land was 100% hers and that I could not claim any part of it.

Because I was in Europe and I could not sign, my wife found the folllowing solution:

Her parents bought the house and donated the house to her. This way I didn't have to sign any paper because in case of a gift or inheritance the land is inherently owned by the child (my wife).

Her parents had to pay taxes 2 times: the first time when they bought the house from the seller and the second time when they donated the house to her. Everything went smoothly and was arranged within 1 hour.

No questions are asked about the house built on the land and the parents of my wife didn't have to explain anything about how they could buy the land (although it wouldn't be difficult to explain because they are pretty rich).

Please let it be clear that although I didn't have to sign that paper, the house and land is still 100% hers.

Edited by kriswillems

OK..I will have to answer questions about the house's value for tax purposes.I'm stil a little confused here. If the father gifts the land to his daughter ( which the house already stands on) does that cover transfer of ownership of house and land together? :o

OK..I will have to answer questions about the house's value for tax purposes.I'm stil a little confused here. If the father gifts the land to his daughter ( which the house already stands on) does that cover transfer of ownership of house and land together? :o

Yes, as long as the building has not been registered separately by you, or there is not a superficies( permission to build) on the land.

The land office people are not stupid and I'm sure they knew where the money came from. I was asked NOTHING about the money or the circumstances of the purchase. The big thing was to have me sign off any future interest in the property.