How full are sleeper trains?...Not online?....Where?

cheeryble

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do NOT book a First Class sleeper! Always go with 2nd class, lower birth.

The reason is, although 1st Class does give you a private room, the beds are perpendicular to the tracks.

You will spend all night rocking head to toe!

The 2nd Class sleeper beds are parallel to the tracks so you rock side to side as in a hammock, and sleep like a baby!

The top of the carriage is curved so the upper birth doesn't have the head room that the lower births provide Harder to sit up in bed on top.

There seem to be two 'conditions' of trains as well; new and old. Ask the ticket clerk for the 'new' train. The old one is VERY noisy and rocks like an amusement park ride. The new train is almost silent, and you barely feel any motion at all.

Thanks all..... sounds like they USED to book online?

I used to go some years ago and yes agree 2nd class lower berth is the one,,,,,but I remember it was starting to get more and more popular (see how many planes are coming in!) and could easily be booked several days ahead.

So no phone numbers either?

(Yes it annoys me that Thai thing "just spend an hour of your remaining time going to the station" bit like the ortho doc I went to yesterday, there,s not even a phone number written on their sign board so no appointments.....let the patient just sit and wait)

Thanks chaps any secret methods like a phone no or travel agent nearer civilisation still welcome

Wow, someone came to Thailand for its speed, efficiency and highly developed internet.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit....

And I gotta say ?Bill in many instances things get done fast and efficiently.

When I went to that ortho pod yesterday I got an estimate of when I'd be seen.....40 minutes.

I whizzed down the road to the terrifically efficient Dang Som Pratu and got an estimate for a windshield and they would have the order in by Monday.

I then whizzed to Denso and had a little team checking my car out in minutes after an immediate response from the cute knowledgable manager who spoke perfect English.

I returned to the doc and was seen fast.

Within another 15 minutes four X-rays were ready for examination.

Within another short time I had a first class consultation and injections in both shoulders and a MRI request pre filled ready in case I had a relapse fast.....thus saving a trip back to the ortho without MRI in hand.

For many things there's a get it done attitude missing at home.

...1st Class does give you a private room, the beds are perpendicular to the tracks.

The 2nd Class sleeper beds are parallel to the tracks so you rock side to side as in a hammock, and sleep like a baby!

The top of the carriage is curved so the upper birth doesn't have the head room that the lower births provide Harder to sit up in bed on top.

There seem to be two 'conditions' of trains as well; new and old. Ask the ticket clerk for the 'new' train. The old one is VERY noisy and rocks like an amusement park ride. The new train is almost silent, and you barely feel any motion at all.

You seem to have done your post graduate thesis on thai trains.

Wow, someone came to Thailand for its speed, efficiency and highly developed internet.

When I went to that ortho pod yesterday I got an estimate of when I'd be seen.....40 minutes.

I whizzed down the road to the terrifically efficient Dang Som Pratu and got an estimate for a windshield and they would have the order in by Monday.

I then whizzed to Denso and had a little team checking my car out in minutes after an immediate response from the cute knowledgable manager who spoke perfect English.

Within another short time I had a first class consultation and injections in both shoulders and a MRI request pre filled ready in case I had a relapse fast.....thus saving a trip back to the ortho without MRI in hand.

I'll add that green buses have a decent system of ordering tickets by phone and paying at 7/11 or ATM

They are full. Full of people, whose cost will be more than an advance plane ticket, with a high likelihood of a delay being longer than the actual plane ride,,,a derailment is overdue, as well...........

You can fly from Chiang Mai to Bangkok for less than a thousand baht?

...1st Class does give you a private room, the beds are perpendicular to the tracks.

I prefer to travel between Chiangmai and Bangkok by overnight train, and have done so 4-5 times a year for many, many years. Although actual travel time is longer, I pass most of it asleep. Having to get to the airport hours before a flight, deal with security, hang around waiting, fly quickly but then deal with getting from a crowded airport through crowded streets all the way into downtown Bangkok just doesn't seem (to me) to be worth the speed of the flight. It's a choice I make. I prefer relaxation over speed. Besides, I'm not in any hurry. :)

They are full. Full of people, whose cost will be more than an advance plane ticket, with a high likelihood of a delay being longer than the actual plane ride,,,a derailment is overdue, as well...........

Do you live in a cave?

Can try this site for availability - https://12go.asia/en/travel/chiang-mai/bangkok?date=2016-02-08

Guess it is an agency site as it shows you can buy online.

This site has a list of phone numbers - http://www.railway.co.th/home/contactus.aspx

And schedule/fares - http://www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=Eng

Thanks Tywais

Interesting they charge quite a lot more (total over 1100bt) but are not buying online themselves so may be reasonable.

Looks like, a lot of carriages are now ladies only since a rape which clogs up the mixed ones more.

Gonna try the 053 number on yr link now.

Got through but cut off

Edited by cheeryble

Do you live in a cave?

Are you always this rude?

So why all the moaning and groaning? Can't you just whizz over to the train station, while you are whizzing everywhere else?

-Mestizo

I can fly a plane but with kind of PTSD have developed a phobia of it.....and big cities and travel and lots more....with serious panic disorder.

My simple goal is to train to BKK (which I can do ok), try to travel by Skytrain a bit, look at the girls in Paragon for a bit of relief, then fly back......sort of an ice breaker.

It's a serious business for me I have not been home for 12 years and my sister is 81. Seems to me the only way out is to normalise flying again. Suvarnabhum is a particular nightmare prospect......flat, hard,, big views, glass, no hiding place......but I've got to get there before long and hang out until I can relax.

Then I have to take a plane.

But we'll start with don Muang (easier) and train for the first leg so I'm not landing in a strange city with anxiety.

Mad eh? But true.

Ps missus just called CM station number provided kindly by Tywais and they say one can indeed book by phone if 5 days previous and pay outside.

Problem solved....except they're fairly booked up lower berths nearly all gone for some days.

btW best to book lower berth and AWAY FROM DOORS.

I can fly a plane but with kind of PTSD have developed a phobia of it.....and big cities and travel and lots more....with serious panic disorder.

My simple goal is to train to BKK (which I can do ok), try to travel by Skytrain a bit, look at the girls in Paragon for a bit of relief, then fly back......sort of an ice breaker.

It's a serious business for me I have not been home for 12 years and my sister is 81. Seems to me the only way out is to normalise flying again. Suvarnabhum is a particular nightmare prospect......flat, hard,, big views, glass, no hiding place......but I've got to get there before long and hang out until I can relax.

Then I have to take a plane.

But we'll start with don Muang (easier) and train for the first leg then fly back so I'm not landing in a strange city with anxiety.

Mad eh? But true, and a life altering pain in eth arse.

Onward and upward

Edited by cheeryble

Although I have never taken a train in Thailand, everywhere else I always get the upper berth. If you have a lower berth and want to relax, at any time -- lie down -- you can't. It's as simple as that.

Also, you can keep your belongings a bit safer since they are out of easy reach of thieves in the night.

Although I have never taken a train in Thailand, everywhere else I always get the upper berth. If you have a lower berth and want to relax, at any time -- lie down -- you can't. It's as simple as that.

Also, you can keep your belongings a bit safer since they are out of easy reach of thieves in the night.

On the Thai sleepers, both bunks are stowed away when in 'daytime mode'.

...to which I'd add that the tracks are the old 3ft something and rock 'n roll is not dead yet.

I returned to Chiang Mai on a day trip, and he made up the 1 hour late start, but boy, did it rock!! Also, carriage number 1 is very noisy as the horn is on top and it is sounded at every crossing in case some fool wants to try and beat the train.

Take your own snacks. Unless you like canned fish in spicy oil.

good one.

For myself I notice as I age that I do prefer the internet more and more to getting out and doing it personally.

But I am not new to Thailand and realize e mails may or may not be answered and that the wait in line at many places is normal. I am also aware of the fact that not only can Thais not read maps but they can not make them.

I moved to Thailand to retire not to worry about how fast I can get things done. I just plan ahead. If I had to work for a living I would be bent out of shape about the lack of speed at getting things done. In fact I would not have moved here. But I don't I just plan ahead and give it the time it needs.