Driving to Laos, then to Vietnam with a Thai registered car via Savannakhet?

lostinisaan

I'm planning to visit Vietnam in April, but driving my own iron horse in form of a Mitsu Pick up. I'd like to get as much information as possible how to plan the trip.

It shouldn't be a problem now, because ASEAN has already started. Would you have to apply for a Vietnam visa before, or can you get one when crossing the border?:

Has anybody done that before and could give me some ideas what I'll have to deal with? No matter what, I'll apply for my IDP, just to be on the safe side.

Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful posts. I'm planning to drive to a nice place with a beach in Vietnam. Not yet sure where. Cheers-rolleyes.gif

I am going to move this this to the Thailand motor forum since a lot you need top know is about taking your pickup into Laos and maybe Vietnam (probably cannot).

You might want to check on the visas for other countries forum about your visa for Vietnam.

I am going to move this this to the Thailand motor forum since a lot you need top know is about taking your pickup into Laos and maybe Vietnam (probably cannot).

You might want to check on the visas for other countries forum about your visa for Vietnam.

Thanks a lot Joe. thumbsup.gif

I dont know about Vietnam but here is my experience into Laos :

I went to Laos via Mukdahan/Savannakhet in December last year driving my 23 years old car registered in the girlfriend's name.

Before the trip i applied for the "car passport"/"purple book", 105 THB, got it the next day with two T stickers.

At the Thai border, a bit of paperwork, a form to fill with name of car, engine size, registration number... 100THB.

Put the T stickers on the car.

Crossing the Bridge 50THB.

Compulsory communist car spraying 25THB.

Communist officers 450THB to get the car into Laos.

Communist insurance for 7 days 200THB.

Everything easy and straight forward...

Poor roads in Laos...

I read about Vietnam not allowing cars with right-hand drive in the country. Please verify this before getting disappointed at the border...

I've checked quite a few websites and that seems to be the biggest problem.

One made it to the Vietnamese border just to find out that he could get in, but not the car.

I'm just trying to avoid that. Cheers-

I think Vietnam prohibits entry to all non Vietnamese-registered vehicles regardless of what side the steering wheel is on.

If the car or bike is Lao or Cambodian registered no problem but if Thai your wasting your time.

Correct, however Thai trucks are now allowed into Vietnam at the Lao Bao-Daen Savanh crossing.

There is a quota of 20 trucks per day and only one trucking company has the licence.

Of course this means nothing for private cars, which are not allowed in, at least not yet.

Only Lao and Cambodian private vehicles are allowed free entry into Vietnam. All others, whether Chinese, Thai or other registrations need to apply for permission in advance and go on a tour with lead vehicle etc.

There has been a lot of talk (babbling mostly) about how AEC will change this and that. Apart from Thai trucks being allowed into Vietnam on a very limited basis (which I think has been the case since before AEC got under way) there has been virtually no change since Jan 1, 2016 nor do we know of any upcoming changes. However, keeping up with the news, particularly the Thai news and regularly checking the Land Transport Department website may yield some results, eventually.

I think Vietnam prohibits entry to all non Vietnamese-registered vehicles regardless of what side the steering wheel is on.

That is more or less correct; however, there is a procedure for non-Vietnamese vehicles to apply for permission to enter the country which has now reportedly been streamlined.

However, Lao and Cambodian vehicles can readily enter Vietnam without advance permission. Vietnamese vehicles are more restricted from entering Cambodia, although they can freely enter Laos. The Lao-Vietnam car permit is the equivalent of the Thai and Lao ones, although it has a couple of more restrictions, including the need to specify the entry and exit points in the permit and a new one reportedly needs to be issued for every trip.

"It shouldn't be a problem now, because ASEAN has already started. Would you have to apply for a Vietnam visa before, or can you get one when crossing the border?:"

Correct, on the 8th of August 1967 !

Applying for a Vietnamese visa is just a formality. It's so easy a monkey can do it.

All you need is

1) a pulse

2) a valid passport

3) a passport photo

4) to fill out a very simple form

5) pay the money

Single and multiple entry visas are available and most embassies/consulates can churn them out in as little as 10 minutes just by paying an extra US$10 (or equivalent).

You can get one in Laos, if heading to Vietnam that way.

The car is however going to present the biggest headache. For some reason the communists in power there are paranoid about tourists driving their own cars in from abroad (god knows why, when neighboring Laos has no problems with it) hence it won't be easy.

I read about Vietnam not allowing cars with right-hand drive in the country. Please verify this before getting disappointed at the border...

That's just an excuse not to let in thousands of Thai drivers into a country that has like 1000 motorcycles for every car.

In reality Thailand and Vietnam have concluded an agreement allowing 20 Thai trucks into Vietnam across one Lao-Vietnam border crossing per day. Of course the Thai trucks are all RHD.

However, the agreement does NOT apply to private vehicles.

• 5 months later...

I want to drive into Laos

I have a Purple car passport (mine cost 55 Bht this week including stickers)

Blue book for car

New Thai driving license (2 year) , Singapore Driving License, UK Driving License

Do I still need the International Driving Permit ?  Some say yes some say no. Has anyone been without ?

If so is there a way to get one in Thailand without yet another  3000 Baht 3 week  embassy letter confirming address ?

Thanks

Driving into and in Lao is no problem at all for a Thai-registered vehicle. assuming it is YOUR car; that you have a vehicle passport; and appropriate T stickers on front and rear, abs assuming that all occupants of the vehicle have PASSPORTS.  The last is very important since at some crossings Thais citizens may not be able to pass-through  with only a Thai ID card.  This requirement varies - we have encountered both.

If you do go. don't forget to buy Lao motor insurance.  The insurance is cheap; to get caught without it, is not.

A Thai registered vehicle CANNOT enter Vietnam.  Nor can a someone with a Thai driver's license drive in Vietnam - not in his own vehicle, not in a rental.  not at all.  Been there; tried it.  The same goes for China in case you are interested.

Cambodia is a hit or miss affair.  Some crossing will permit Thai vehicles to cross, some with not.  Pailin will NOT.  O Smak will.  Sometimes.

An international driver's license is not requited in Lao if you have a valid Thai license.

On 8/4/2016 at 8:54 AM, turgid said:

I want to drive into Laos

I have a Purple car passport (mine cost 55 Bht this week including stickers)

Blue book for car

New Thai driving license (2 year) , Singapore Driving License, UK Driving License

Do I still need the International Driving Permit ?  Some say yes some say no. Has anyone been without ?

If so is there a way to get one in Thailand without yet another  3000 Baht 3 week  embassy letter confirming address ?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We had no problems with the crossing and nobody asked to see my license. I did forget to buy the insurance and we got stopped twice on the  way out to and way back from Thalat. On the way out they let me off and the way back I had to pay an 80 Baht bribe.  I went back to the crossing an bought the insurance which cost 150 Baht for 7 days for an SUV. The reservoir/lake  at Thalat is well worth the trip.

Went to  Vang Vieng  then drove up the 13 to Luang Prabang based on local advice that the 13 road was longer but easier.   We  came back on the 4. 

No police stops in either direction, saw no real military presence and nothing to justify the current US warning on travel.   The  13 had more villages and "'atmosphere'' and traffic,  the  4 was much  faster. In  both directions the scenery was amazing.  There was a seriously  collapsed section of road on the 4 bypassed with a muddy track bypass meaning that if you didn't have decent clearance under your vehicle  you could not get through.  Saw a couple of Chinese Vios turn back.

I did notice that every major town has a line of cameras and lights  across the road at every entrance/exit  road. Looked  like number plate tracking technology.

Lots of Chinese bus tours and saw a convoy of 9 cars of Chinese yuppies clearly on a road trip having a great time. Saw lost of Chinese tourists of the wide eyed/bored bus tours and  middle class well travelled type.    

Bought a 1 week internet sim for 40 baht, but google maps routing doesn't work in Laos and the google  maps for Laos don't seem to be very good. I used the Maps.Me app which allows you to download the maps, doesn't need internet and does routing. 

Love Northern Laos. Want to go back.

Archived