All those who have lived under a truly democratic government step forward.

Caspersfriend

Good day to our [mostly] Scandinavian friends; links below.

Here in LOS there is much discussion about returning to a democratically elected government. However, has Thailand or indeed anywhere else in ASEAN ever known what it is like to live in a true democracy? The fact is, how many reading this have? Moreso that in Thailand most likely but 'true democracy' ??? very few I would suggest.

In the latest 'Democracy Ranking' Thailand was not even ranked [for obvious reasons] and neither was much of ASEAN; for similar reasons. In the previous year's listing [compiled before the military coup] Thailand ranked 74th on the list. Northern Europe appears to corner the market in understanding and applying true democracy in government. Thailand has a long way to go, and I suggest the reality may well be that this long and winding road may have no end. Not in our lifetimes anyway, as even with the desire and motivation, it would take generations to sway mindsets.

In general I thoroughly enjoy my life here, and my intention is to make the most of the life-enhancing aspects. I stay aware of that which is reported in the media/forums and the then ignore 90+% of it, retaining the knowledge I need to make the system work for me as best I can. If I were one to take everything I read at face value I would be long gone. I chose to live here, I still choose to live here, and if ever 'the powers that be' make that unsustainable or too uncomfortable I will live elsewhere. It ain't rocket science if you moved here by choice, with the state of mind and wherewithal to enable that as a long-term prospect..

http://democracyranking.org/wordpress/

http://democracyranking.org/ranking/2015/data/Scores_of_the_Democracy_Ranking_2015_A4.pdf

There were the Greeks that allowed "Democracy". Limited to the ":Upper-Class"..Common folks were excluded from this process.

In the year of the the Lord 1291, Switzerland has decided to throw out foreign powers (the Habsburgs). Switzerland has maintained its national sovereignty until this very day (excluding the "Napoleon Rush: to conquer Russia. Thanks to this " stopover", Switzerland, has become "Multi Linguistic"). 4 accepted official languages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Democracy in action in Switzerland. We have a lower house and a higher house (not to be compared to British Constellation.)

Any sort of decision that the elected government makes, can be challenged by what we call a "Referendum" 100'00 signatures will suffice to block a government decision and will have to be to be brought before the electorate.

Where else is it possible to "Whistle-Back" your own government, when the populace thinks the "government" is loosing contact to reality.

Scholars, seeking wisdom as far as "The emergence of Democracy" is concerned should not try to find wisdom among the old Greeks. I recommend Switzerland for historians still trying to dwell on the thought "where were the roots of the emergence of Democracy planted? In the mountain valleys of Switzerland by herdsmen, small farmers, preferring death over enslavement.!

The Magna- Carta in England? Nice, A few centuries too late

Cheers..

I don't regard the UK as more than a very-imperfect democracy, almost 4-million votes for UKIP get 1 MP, while a couple-of-million for SNP get 56 MPs ? wink.png

The system there is simply broken ! sad.png Don't know when they will recognise the fact, and try to do something about it, I'm not holding my breath on that, too many vested-interests ! ohmy.png

But I did live in Sweden for a couple of years, does that count, possibly ...

The Yemen Arab Republic was definitely not a democracy, and is now a war-zone, God/Allah help them all ! So much for the theory that Arabs like a strong leader !

Cheers..

Too late for what exactly?

.........to be considered the starting point, of what should later be called "Democracy".

Cheers.

I thought it was 50,000 signatures but, nevertheless, fully agree that Switzerland is as close to a true democracy as would be feasible in this day and age. The Norwegians might disagree but I know little of their systems. One person, one vote, of equal merit whatever their 'status' and without fear or influence. That certainly ruled out the Greeks, and just about every country on the planet then and in modern times.

I have yet to read the following article in detail but it does raise some interesting questions:

http://apecsec.org/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-democracy/

Denmark, Norway & (always trying to save the world) Sweden , as democratic monarchies, are as good as it gets, in the west. Ok?

However, since you choose to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand, for whatever your reasons may be, consider this: despite what the current Thai government's political ideology, or legislative platforms may be, at least they're honest about not being a democratic form of government.

The current Thai government policies have not negatively impacted your visa status, as a guest in the Kingdom, even one iota. So what, if Thailand is not a democracy? Why do you care, all things considered, eh? Think about it wai.gif

Denmark, Norway & (always trying to save the world) Sweden , as democratic monarchies, are as good as it gets, in the west. Ok?

However, since you choose to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand, for whatever your reasons may be, consider this: despite what the current Thai government's political ideology, or legislative platforms may be, at least they're honest about not being a democratic form of government.

The current Thai government policies have not negatively impacted your visa status, as a guest in the Kingdom, even one iota. So what, if Thailand is not a democracy? Why do you care, all things considered, eh?

True but I'm not keen on night time curfews are you ?

The current Thai government policies have not negatively impacted your visa status, as a guest in the Kingdom, even one iota. So what, if Thailand is not a democracy? Why do you care, all things considered, eh?

Dude, I'm much too busy counting my present life's blessings (in the LoS), than to waste my thoughts dwelling upon some "curfew" that doesn't currently exist! whistling.gif

Dude, I'm much too busy counting my present life's blessings (in the LoS), than to waste my thoughts dwelling upon some "curfew" that doesn't currently exist, duh! whistling.gif

Ok Dude no sweat peace out bro.

Dude, I'm much too busy counting my present life's blessings (in the LoS), than to waste my thoughts dwelling upon some "curfew" that doesn't currently exist, duh! whistling.gif

Ok Dude no sweat peace out bro.

Cheers, stoneyboycoffee1.gif

The current Thai government policies have not negatively impacted your visa status, as a guest in the Kingdom, even one iota. So what, if Thailand is not a democracy? Why do you care, all things considered, eh? Think about it wai.gif

Whether those who hold the reins are honest or not is hardly the point.that we are, or should be, discussing. Maybe you missed this part of my opening post " In general I thoroughly enjoy my life here, and my intention is to make the most of the life-enhancing aspects. I stay aware of that which is reported in the media/forums and the then ignore 90+% of it, retaining the knowledge I need to make the system work for me as best I can. If I were one to take everything I read at face value I would be long gone. I chose to live here, I still choose to live here, and if ever 'the powers that be' make that unsustainable or too uncomfortable I will live elsewhere. It ain't rocket science if you moved here by choice, with the state of mind and wherewithal to enable that as a long-term prospect.."

Read the title and the opening post, and maybe think about it a little more wink.png

hey heres a truly UN certified democratic government, would you like to live under them .

just a teaser "The report pointed out that there were 159 deaths as a result of police action in 2014/15, with 103 deaths in police custody in the year under review."

see much more of what a truly democracy government can do for you at

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/report-lifts-lid-on-police-brutality-1978224

after you look there you wont think that the high profile thai inner circle deaths in custody and prominent monks dropping like flies are an indication that Pol Pot has arrived in thailand at all:)

Whether those who hold the reins are honest or not is hardly the point.that we are, or should be, discussing. Maybe you missed this part of my opening post " In general I thoroughly enjoy my life here, and my intention is to make the most of the life-enhancing aspects. I stay aware of that which is reported in the media/forums and the then ignore 90+% of it, retaining the knowledge I need to make the system work for me as best I can. If I were one to take everything I read at face value I would be long gone. I chose to live here, I still choose to live here, and if ever 'the powers that be' make that unsustainable or too uncomfortable I will live elsewhere. It ain't rocket science if you moved here by choice, with the state of mind and wherewithal to enable that as a long-term prospect.."

Read the title and the opening post, and maybe think about it a little more wink.png

In the being of speaking more mundane, by lending undeserved dignity to your defensive reply ~ Obviously you're another one of those arrogant "know-it-all" posters, who will argue with a mirrored wall. As you so succinctly stated "It ain't rocket science if you moved here by choice, with the state of mind and wherewithal to enable that as a long-term prospect.." In conclusion, my assessment of your OP, is that a very potent laxative, on your part, is definitely in order.

<<<< Foreign language removed >>>>coffee1.gif

hey heres a truly UN certified democratic government, would you like to live under them .

just a teaser "The report pointed out that there were 159 deaths as a result of police action in 2014/15, with 103 deaths in police custody in the year under review."

see much more of what a truly democracy government can do for you at

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/report-lifts-lid-on-police-brutality-1978224

after you look there you wont think that the high profile thai inner circle deaths in custody and prominent monks dropping like flies are an indication that Pol Pot has arrived in thailand at all:)

I come from the 52+ tear years ago, late United States of America. Thus, Thailand (not my citizenship business) is kindergarten, by comparison! Now, do you get my drift, in the plainest American English language?coffee1.gif

Cheers..

Too late for what exactly?

.........to be considered the starting point, of what should later be called "Democracy".

Cheers.

Swiss Federal Charter 1291

Magna Carta 1215

Sorry mate, you were too late, didn't you bother to check the date?

cHeErS

A post using foreign language has been removed. English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Apologies for that but the poster appeared to have completely misunderstood the opening post; either intentionally or due to its not being his first language. wink.png

A post using foreign language has been removed. English is the only acceptable language anywhere on ThaiVisa including Classifieds, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Apologies for that but the poster appeared to have completely misunderstood the opening post; either intentionally or due to its not being his first language. wink.png

Indeed, and thanks for your apology on my behalf. That was quite generous of you, sir! I've been blessed in life, with the ability to learn languages quickly. An apology to you is forthcoming (from me), as I actually mis-posted a reply to you, intended for a different "Thai bashing" poster, on a different forum. I'm old, and things just get a bit tangled for me, sometimes. Again, sorry about that wai.gif

I have re-read your opening post. Presumably, you'll not receive the usual bombardment of replies, since your post involves a realm of life, the average poster has either little interest, or even concern with anymore, myself included.

There was a time when I was a true believer in the democratic form of government. Unfortunately, college seldom teaches us anything about the real world, and after reading Machiavelli's "The Prince" (many years ago), it appears that there really is nothing new, under the sun.

Hopefully you'll find this reply to be a more appropriate response to your OP. Cheers,coffee1.gif

Indeed, and thanks for your apology on my behalf. That was quite generous of you, sir! I've been blessed in life, with the ability to learn languages quickly. An apology to you is forthcoming (from me), as I actually mis-posted a reply to you, intended for a different "Thai bashing" poster, on a different forum. I'm old, and things just get a bit tangled for me, sometimes. Again, sorry about that wai.gif

I have re-read your opening post. Presumably, you'll not receive the usual bombardment of replies, since your post involves a realm of life, the average poster has either little interest, or even concern with anymore, myself included.

There was a time when I was a true believer in the democratic form of government. Unfortunately, college seldom teaches us anything about the real world, and after reading Machiavelli's "The Prince" (many years ago), it appears that there really is nothing new, under the sun.

Hopefully you'll find this reply to be a more appropriate response to your OP. Cheers,coffee1.gif

Thanks TuskegeeBen for that considered response thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately the thread ended up here as it wasn't appropriate to place it in any other forum; so our dear friend Metishead informed me.

I was reading elsewhere about people complaining about not having a democratically-elected government here. The point is ---who does? Government/government has always been influenced/tainted by vested interest, still is and always will be. Never has bothered me and never will .... time for bed said Zebedee.

Some interesting posts, but the OP asked specifically about Thailand or other Asian countries. I have visited a few but only as a tourist and have not lived in any. Thailand maybe qualified as a democracy for a few years under Thaksin. I say that only because he was elected. However it was pretty clear that the military was always lurking in the wings to do whatever they wanted. Japan might be the closest Asian country to a democracy. They have not had martial law since WW 2.

Archived