Koh Samui islanders and tourists pick up garbage and dead seaweed on public beach

webfact

Koh Samui islanders and tourists pick up garbage and dead seaweed on public beach

SURAT THANI, 1 February 2016 (NNT) - Over 60 villagers, bungalow operators and Thai and foreign tourists joined hands in the cleaning and tidying of a public beach at Maenam Village on Koh Samui island.

They collected garbage, strips of wood and dead seaweed washed up on the beach by monsoon tides which had swept through Koh Samui district, Surat Thani province.

Most of the garbage were plastic bags, wooden items and dead seaweed which caused an unpleasant sight to the tourists. The plastic bags and wood were contained in black plastic bags while the dead seaweeds were buried as an underground fertilizer to keep the waste from piling up and to create a beautiful sight on the beach.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-02-01 footer_n.gif

Ban Por beach very much the same.... this is the far west end....yesterday... same same today....

Ban%252520Por_-21.jpg

Plastic rakes are not strong enough... three girls having a go at cleaning up. but they where exhausted...

The seaweed would be great to put around the garden, I am sure no one would object to anyone helping themselves....and taking a few bags! (bring your own!!) thumbsup.gif

Ban%252520Por_-13.jpg

Relax bar on the point....

Ban%252520Por_-12.jpg

Off topic post removed, there are plenty topics about Samui garbage problem, use them.

The headline says "Koh Samui" and "garbage", so the topic is related.

After the garbage is collected from the beach where does it end up?

Edited by sambum

Could the city afford cleaners with rakes to sweep these beaches everyday?

Many beaches in front of resorts and restaurants etc are cleaned everyday..... The amount of seaweed, piled up in some locations is far more than the usual one would get.... therefore not an easy task to remove...

It is worse too, because of a high and rough tides last week, that left more higher on the beaches than usual..... In my third image above ^ it really needs machinery and trucks to remove it .....

This is the same beach a couple of weeks ago...before the storm!

Sunset%2525201%252520Ban%252520Por-24.jp

Sunset%2525201%252520Ban%252520Por-77.jp

Cleaning by hand seems terribly inefficient and laborious, An impossible task.

Why can't the council supply a few tractors and men to rake the beaches?

Nice beaches help tourism flourish.

Dirty beaches make tourists leave bad reviews.

Hmm .. mai pen rai ...

Looks like Samuijimmy has covered this aspect.

Edited by xerostar

Just as the beaches were just about clean again... another storm along the north end beaches today .. sad.png

In Maenam, around soi 4 I reckon the waves were close to two meters.... in Ban Por closer to one meter.

When this settles again I am sure there will be more seaweed to clear again... I doubt anyone would say anything about helping to cleanup...

Lomprayah ferries will no doubt only be leaving from Nathon.... not Maenam pier... A rough ride I think can be expected!

Ban Por... about one hour ago...

Ban%252520Por%252520area-2.jpg

The hazy weather is all over the south of Thailand, Malaysia and Bali.... according to some friends who have been traveling around.....it will be nice to see it all clear up again! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Tourists should not be cleaning the beach, they wont have a WP

BS , I clean the beach here in Jomtien weekly , it's good exercise too , now the locals are joining too , they should be a bit ashamed.

BS , I clean the beach here in Jomtien weekly , it's good exercise too , now the locals are joining too , they should be a bit ashamed.

From the Siam Legal International website:-

"The term “work” in Thai law is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other form of compensation. Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand."

"The term “work” in Thai law is defined very broadly, covering both physical and mental activities, whether or not for wages or other form of compensation. Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand."

BS , do I need a WP to ride my bicyclle or play soccer or tennis ? Do I need WP to exercise ? I pick up trash on the beach , even the police here will not bother me. We had several positive media articles here about foreigners helping to clean the beaches , it sets a good example for everyone. Edited by balo

BS , do I need a WP to ride my bicyclle or play soccer or tennis ? Do I need WP to exercise ? I pick up trash on the beach , even the police here will not bother me. We had several positive media articles here about foreigners helping to clean the beaches , it sets a good example for everyone.

BS?, I am just quoting the law as it stands - not saying whether it is right or wrong. I am not referring to your leisure activities, or whether the police will enforce the law by preventing you from picking up litter on the beaches. I do think this unpaid volunteer work is a good idea, and it does set a good example. On that we agree, but please read my post again - especially the last line - oh never mind, I'll copy it for you again:- "Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand."

Still BS , you dont need a permit to pick up trash from the beach whether its your own trash or someone else. Just do it , pick up any trash you see , you will feel much better.

Still BS , you dont need a permit to pick up trash from the beach whether its your own trash or someone else. Just do it , pick up any trash you see , you will feel much better.

We'll obviously have to agree to disagree on this one! I don't agree with the "BS"comment, but I also don't agree with the law as it stands on volunteer and charity work.

I don't visit the beach much, but do pick up trash from the lane/soi leading to my house. It doesn't make me feel better, just angry that some people don't even appear to be housetrained!

Don't be so ridiculous. Tourists don't come on holiday and expect to clean the beach! What planet do you live on?!!

Your time would be better served campaigning for BINS to be placed on beaches like they do in most civilized countries that care about their environment.

Its an approach that tackles the "SOURCE of the PROBLEM" rather than trying to deal with issues once the horse has bolted.

Check out the beaches in Malaysia. They are spotless and all have BINS. There is no need need for people walking up and down a beach garbage collecting.

As much a posters might "like" your post it totally misses the source of the problem and what has to be down to remedy this.

Edited by carmine

Don't be so ridiculous. Tourists don't come on holiday and expect to clean the beach! What planet do you live on?!!

I am not a tourist , I live here , I walk on the beach daily , what do you want me to do , ignore the trash because I need a permit ? I pick up the trash , the locals see me do it and some of them have told me they are ashamed of how dirty the beaches are. If I can show them that this is important , more locals will join me . Edited by balo