Advice needed for landed detached house

Hi everyone. I have decided to get a home in Thailand to settle down there.

I wish to get a property that can provide some appreciation over long term period and after much consideration and browsing the old post in the forum, Condo may not suits my needs especially some condo have bad second hand market value.

May I ask what about landed properties such as detached house? or even townhouse? Does it provide some appreciation over long term? I am looking for a min 3 rooms property near Mega Bangna or Samut Prakan Theparak. Any good village can recommend to me? Budget not more than 8million... of course lower is better.. thumbsup.gif

thanks in advance!!!

additional info: My wife is a Thai and I will use her name to buy the property to avoid the ownership restriction in landed properties by non-thai

Edited by daviddabit

Another foreigner looking to own land...

Didn't he make it clear his THAI wife would own the house and land.

"...to avoid the ownership restriction in landed properties by non-thai"

Seems like an intention to own through a proxy. Recalling some farang screamed murder when his wife ran away after cashing out...

the op is hopeing for some appreciation,i can help,our house cost,6million,with all improvements and extra's about 2million FOR SALE 5.5MILLION.

that is what is called DEPREIATION.

so stop dreaming,OH AND BY THE WAY THE WIFE OWNS IT.

My MIL was eyeing on a small terrace behind Tesco 6 years ago in the north. It was asking for 1.2 million, not a huge double story house. Last month we causally inquired the price and it is already 2.6 million. Location, location, location...

yes... location, location, location... but the problem is which location...wink.png ... may i know which area in the north was your MIL eyeing earlier ?

Just want to understand more about the property market there.. wai2.gif

Whatever is asked,is the direct opposite of what they get, Thailand is in for a bad time in next few years,see where all those bank loaned properties end up,bet that PM box of yours is full of "buy mine"

hm.... many people are saying that too...

but i still need a permanent home in thailand... it is more convenient for my family .. haha...

My MIL was eyeing on a small terrace behind Tesco 6 years ago in the north. It was asking for 1.2 million, not a huge double story house. Last month we causally inquired the price and it is already 2.6 million. Location, location, location...

yes... location, location, location... but the problem is which location...wink.png ... may i know which area in the north was your MIL eyeing earlier ?

Location can be tricky. One side of the road can be valued multiple times a similar plot directly across the road...

Location can be tricky. One side of the road can be valued multiple times a similar plot directly across the road...

that is so true... actually i am not greedy dreaming to have a big appreciation... all i hope for is just no depreciation and if possible getting some appreciation.. at least it is easy to sell in the future rather than no second hand demand at all..

wai.gif

that is so true... actually i am not greedy dreaming to have a big appreciation... all i hope for is just no depreciation and if possible getting some appreciation.. at least it is easy to sell in the future rather than no second hand demand at all..

wai.gif

For the location of a home along Bangna, proximity to a planned mass transit line is the best bet. Not the proximity to Mega Bangna or the main Bangna road.

Fang Chiang Mai... no point David. It had raised to a crazy price for the pass 2 years. Our village land costed 30k 10 years ago(not chanote) and now can be easily sold 150k for the same size and it is still not chanote. Sometime I wonder what's in their mind... it's a big bubble!

Fang Chiang Mai... no point David. It had raised to a crazy price for the pass 2 years. Our village land costed 30k 10 years ago(not chanote) and now can be easily sold 150k for the same size and it is still not chanote. Sometime I wonder what's in their mind... it's a big bubble!

hi... wow... 5 folds in 10 years.. that's alot... crazy infact.. hm... is thailand expecting a property bubble soon? Sorry .... property is really not my strength.. i need a book in property for dummies

hi... wow... 5 folds in 10 years.. that's alot... crazy infact.. hm... is thailand expecting a property bubble soon? Sorry .... property is really not my strength.. i need a book in property for dummies

What I mean here is a farming land in a small tambon. Of course if you were to buy the land for building home, it is cheap. Looking at it as a farming land, not at all. 150k for 1600 sqm near to 100 baht per sqm. If you work out how much cabbage you could grow on a sqm and how many season you could do a year, you have to work on that land for more than 10 years just to recoup the land cost.

They understand about this and they are targeting people like you to buy their land for building home. The land beside our house is going for 700k (4 rai 2 ngan 72 sqw) near to 7500 sqm. So if you want to build a house on this land, the price is attractive. But if you intend to farm it, impossible.

Note: These lands are SPK.

What I mean here is a farming land in a small tambon. Of course if you were to buy the land for building home, it is cheap. Looking at it as a farming land, not at all. 150k for 1600 sqm near to 100 baht per sqm. If you work out how much cabbage you could grow on a sqm and how many season you could do a year, you have to work on that land for more than 10 years just to recoup the land cost.

They understand about this and they are targeting people like you to buy their land for building home. The land beside our house is going for 700k (4 rai 2 ngan 72 sqw) near to 7500 sqm. So if you want to build a house on this land, the price is attractive. But if you intend to farm it, impossible.

Will be interesting to see how the farming folk cope with whats ahead,the govt. washing their hands of rubber and rice growers,even sugar producers,no more subsidies,wide ranging drought forecast too,as well as severe water rationing with what is in the dams

wow... the land is really cheap for building own house.,.... ops.. i mean build a mansion... I don't mind to buy it if i have a lot of spare cash.. haha.. I am looking for a residential property now for a start and slowly understand more about the property market in thailand... but 700k is not much for 7500sqm ... assuming 10 years down the road and the value goes up like 10%-20%(if possible) it is better than keeping the money in the bank....

Samut Prakarn can be a good option.

Thai people (I know, big generalization here) tend to hang on to property even if it's empty, falling apart, flooded etc., - as there's a strong belief that land (and gold) are good long term investments. And by long term I mean generations.

So you find that the only houses for sale are ones where debt or other issue are forcing a sale.

(There's also the new-build houses for sale in the Mooban Estates - but they tend to be in unpopular flood zones miles from public transport ... and they are, in effect, horizontal condos.

So look carefully to find a house with potential and a credible reason for sale and ensure any debt is cleared - and as others have said location is key .....

The BTS is still growing in and around Samut Prakarn - so even though the initial rise in value when the BTS plans were revealed will be factored in to any sale - there's another rise when the stations open. So look along the growth path of the BTS and try to find something within 'motorsai' range of the stations.

Then look for something where you can increase the value by improving the property. Older Thai houses tend to grow poor quality lean-to extensions, and some also have enough land to build a proper extension after pulling down the tatty lean-to.

Some of my Thai friends have bought older houses near the BTS route, improved them with sensible upgrades such as adding covered parking or proper bathrooms and kitchens, and seen good growth in values.

And although Samut Prakarn looks like a seamless extension of Bangkok to me ....... to Thai eyes it's a different village with significantly lower land prices. So there's bargains to be had if you search .... and your Wife is not too HiSo to have a Samut Prakarn address.

Anything with a Bang Na or On Nut address will be more expensive .... so look at Bearing and beyond for best value.

Try to avoid anything where the road is the only transport option - traffic jams will kill the value.

And of course don't invest more than you can walk away from.

Thai people (I know, big generalization here) tend to hang on to property even if it's empty, falling apart, flooded etc., - as there's a strong belief that land (and gold) are good long term investments. And by long term I mean generations.

So you find that the only houses for sale are ones where debt or other issue are forcing a sale.

(There's also the new-build houses for sale in the Mooban Estates - but they tend to be in unpopular flood zones miles from public transport ... and they are, in effect, horizontal condos.

So look carefully to find a house with potential and a credible reason for sale and ensure any debt is cleared - and as others have said location is key .....

The BTS is still growing in and around Samut Prakarn - so even though the initial rise in value when the BTS plans were revealed will be factored in to any sale - there's another rise when the stations open. So look along the growth path of the BTS and try to find something within 'motorsai' range of the stations.

Then look for something where you can increase the value by improving the property. Older Thai houses tend to grow poor quality lean-to extensions, and some also have enough land to build a proper extension after pulling down the tatty lean-to.

Some of my Thai friends have bought older houses near the BTS route, improved them with sensible upgrades such as adding covered parking or proper bathrooms and kitchens, and seen good growth in values.

And although Samut Prakarn looks like a seamless extension of Bangkok to me ....... to Thai eyes it's a different village with significantly lower land prices. So there's bargains to be had if you search .... and your Wife is not too HiSo to have a Samut Prakarn address.

Anything with a Bang Na or On Nut address will be more expensive .... so look at Bearing and beyond for best value.

Try to avoid anything where the road is the only transport option - traffic jams will kill the value.

thank you very much for the info... now i understand why are there so many old townhouse that looks like a haunted house in bangkok... i always wonder who would live there... until now only i understand it is meant for keeping it

i am considering samut prakan becasue it is near my in law house .. but my wife said better avoid bearing and samrong due to many labor lives around there and it will also affect the value of the property .. definitely is not an easy task ...

good idea to avoid the road as the only transport option.. my wife also told me this is a headache to many people living there as they have to leave the house early for work to avoid the traffic jam where people leaving their village...

forgot to ask... what is HiSo?

forgot to ask... what is HiSo?

OMG.... David, don't go there... LOL

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/823956-marriage-to-hi-so-girl/

gigglem.gif ok ok.... not going there... and i found many info about HiSo girl... and this is interesting ... i think there are many girls try to look and live like a HiSo... luckily is not my cup of tea.

anyone have stories to share about dating a HiSo girl or HiSo wanna be girl? tongue.png

I understand that you are looking at more city area but this is a typical village example.

Back to land SPK and to further explain what I meant.

The pic attached is at fang

They are asking 350k for 2.7 rai right on the road with utilities accessible. It will work out to be 80 baht sqm.

If you stick to the principal of spending what you can afford to walk away since either way it will be in your wife name and in this case buying a home to stay, then build a house on land like these will save you quite a lot of money.

1.5 million will build you a very nice house on it but it will take a long long time before someone comes along and buy it for 2.5 million from you.

So either way I guess I'm not helping you with good advice. LOL

post-237147-0-14871200-1454554904_thumb.

I understand that you are looking at more city area but this is a typical village example.

Back to land SPK and to further explain what I meant.

The pic attached is at fang

They are asking 350k for 2.7 rai right on the road with utilities accessible. It will work out to be 80 baht sqm.

If you stick to the principal of spending what you can afford to walk away since either way it will be in your wife name and in this case buying a home to stay, then build a house on land like these will save you quite a lot of money.

1.5 million will build you a very nice house on it but it will take a long long time before someone comes along and buy it for 2.5 million from you.

So either way I guess I'm not helping you with good advice. LOL

attachicon.gifland.jpg

Austin... really appreciate your effort to help me to understand more about the property prices...

80 baht/sqm and 1.5million to build a very nice house... this is really really cheap to invest and even cheaper than buying a conti car in thailand.. this probably explains why there are so many nice places for tourist to visit in khaoyai, hua hin and wang nam khiao... where beautiful buildings, hotels, farm and shops are built for commercial purpose with a bare min of entry fee ... but of course the land price in these area no longer cheap now.. in fact the property prices in khaoyai is comparable to bangkok...

Something wrong with this thread. Seems to be filling up with useful advice.

Thought I was on the wrong forum. biggrin.png

The land prices quoted for up-country are amazing - and whenever I get out of Bangkok I enjoy the fresh air and lower night time temperatures.

I asked for more details on the Thai friends who recently bought a house just passed Bearing BTS station for under 1 million THB - and although the rebuild involved renewing everything except the floor slab and the main house walls, they managed to build a nice, single storey detached house for 500k (not inc a/c yet).

A detached house in commuting distance of central BKK for 1.5 million looks good to me. I'm guessing it's already worth more than they paid. But the families helped with some of the building work so costs may be unusually low. They bought most of the bathroom and kitchen fittings from the Home Show at Impact and used 'Grade B' floor tiles to save money.

The OP may need to get his Wife to front most of the negotiations to get the best deals - but building costs seem to very reasonable here.