I fell out with a retailer this morning!

Asiantravel

It really was none of your business as to why She put the price up and She wasnt obliged to give you an explanation .

As he is a customer and was obliged to pay for the item if he wanted to buy it, it is his business to inquire as to why the price suddenly increased by 15%. She was not obliged to give an explanation. He is not obliged to shop there anymore. Personally I never shop at mom and pop stores for durable goods anymore for reasons already discussed in this thread. Even the kiosks at the mall won't exchange or refund your money for defective goods.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Karaoke scam, order overpriced beer and before it's finished another's opened and put on the table.

a lighter version at most bars involves walking around and pouring your bottle of beer into your glass when half full / empty

it gets warmer and flatter quicker in the glass then keeping it in the bottle. esp if you don't have ice (need to specifically request ice, makes your beer last longer)

They still have the village-mentality where there's only one shop with a certain product.

Better go to the big shops who show their prices, that will teach them. I'm tired of vendors not showing their prices.

When the big stores show their prices it can still be confusing....

I've got a pic like that from Lotus I took some years ago. So funny!

Probably why stores don't allow you to take photos there.... :)

If it upset you so much that you posted here then maybe her assessment of you was pretty close to the mark.

A bowl of 30 baht noodles went to 35 baht and now the whole monthy budget is in tatters.

What next, price increase on the 7/11 beers?

An old boy i know went to see the manager of a big chain store to ask why was they always running out of peas, "yes" she said, "we're always running out so we don't sell them anymore" biggrin.png

They might not be able to articulate to you in English, but this is perfectly logical, their supplier of peas might be unreliable that although they ordered the quantities needed to satisfy their customers, the supplier is always under delivering or not coming up with any... so instead of facing customers complaint, just stop selling them until a more reliable supplier can be found

An old boy i know went to see the manager of a big chain store to ask why was they always running out of peas, "yes" she said, "we're always running out so we don't sell them anymore" biggrin.png

They might not be able to articulate to you in English, but this is perfectly logical, their supplier of peas might be unreliable that although they ordered the quantities needed to satisfy their customers, the supplier is always under delivering or not coming up with any... so instead of facing customers complaint, just stop selling them until a more reliable supplier can be found

He probably went to buy peas one week and they didnt have any, went to buy some the next week and they didnt have any, he also went the following week and they still didnt have many, so he enquired as to why they had no peas and he was informed that they no longer sold them .

So enraged and upset by not being able to buy some peas, he made himself feel happier by making derogatory comments about Thai business practices

Understanding the dynamics behind pricing and supply/demand is an interesting science.

Pricing is a businesses most useful tool if used correctly.

EG. If sales are increasing (or even being maintained), it can be assumed there is demand for the product. The increasing sales may mean the supplier may have to work harder/longer to keep up with demand, invest in additional staff, plant, or premises. All at an expense that will reduce margin and require continued growth to recover the additional costs at the same margin.

A classic example of pedalling faster to go slower.

Irrespective of increase/decrease in the unit cost of production/purchase, the business may choose to negatively influence potential growth with a price increase.

If the margin was 30% on say a 100B cost, the retail is 130B. If the retail price is increased by 15% to 150B, that reflects a margin of 50% over cost.

The retailer could afford to have sales reduce in volume by 40% and still break even from where they started. If 100 sales per day were made at 130B, that's the same profit as 60 sales at 150B.

A classic case of pedalling slower to go faster

If they don't lose 40% of sales, they're in the money. If they maintain sales, they should think about increasing the price again, or increasing production that is funded by the additional profit rather than owners capital.

Many companies in the west (mine included) will recognise that periods of high demand is the best time to increase prices.

Curiously, it also works the same when sales slow down - especially if your remaining customers are a small combination of loyal returning customers, plus casual walk-ins. Increasing the price has a habit of increasing profit in this scenario as well but is subject to more complexity based on product desirability. Used properly it's a useful tool - used unwisely will take you to the wall quicker, but with less pain. Assuming your pricing is "at or near market" but sales are slow and slowing, reducing price is the last thing that should be considering.

And for those that don't understand deflation versus dis-inflation, do some googling. They aren't the same thing.

Deflation means goods get cheaper, disinflation means that the rate of inflation has reduced from the previously measure period. Big difference.

If we get to a period of sustained deflation that is not caused wholly by cheaper oil, bend over and kiss your balls goodbye. whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by Gsxrnz

Incredible how people can profess to know what the op was thinking at the time of his, well written, reported encounter.

Phenomenal, how so many unqualified experts know exactly what the shop keeper was thinking. Her business model.

My experience of an online forum is that it's a form of lighthearted entertainment. Sometimes a deliberate wind-up. A poke at the haters. The snides, the snakes.

Start a new topic yourself with something interesting and original. Instead of being a stunt all your life.

Incredible how people can profess to know what the op was thinking at the time of his, well written, reported encounter.

Phenomenal, how so many unqualified experts know exactly what the shop keeper was thinking. Her business model.

My experience of an online forum is that it's a form of lighthearted entertainment. Sometimes a deliberate wind-up. A poke at the haters. The snides, the snakes.

Start a new topic yourself with something interesting and original. Instead of being a stunt all your life.

Well, I wouldnt call it "incredible"

Its quite clear that the OP feels he deserves special attention from the SK .

I wouldnt call it "phenomenal" .

No one is claiming to be an "expert"

Shops business models are quite simple :Make a profit.

No one is "hating". just giving an opinion .

You are being rather over dramatic in your assessment of this thread

One post from the OP (with very little detail) and 130+ replies which a majority of them have made assumptions and took off running. There are lots of "experts" here.

One post from the OP (with very little detail) and 130+ replies which a majority of them have made assumptions and took off running. There are lots of "experts" here.

The majority of the discussion had been about whether shop customers have the right to question shop keepers about a price increase , hardly any assumptions have been made and those which have been made , are probably correct .

The OP has been asked to clarify a few things, but as he has failed to do so, we can only fill in the gaps ourselves .

But the OP stated quite clearly that as a regular customer, he feels that he deserve an explanation to price increases, and IMO, he has no right to question shops price structure, considering that price increases are a regular occurrence and the shopper has two choices, either buy or dont buy .

Would have been appropriate if the SK had questioned the OP about his fiances and why he couldnt pay for the increase ?

anyone going into any retail place here enough times to think of themselves as a 'regular' should be well aware that thais dont give a toss about how many times you go there. they dont give a toss if they serve you a shit meal. they just dont give .......A TOSS.

the only thing you can do is pay and dont tip and dont go there again.

.....did i say they dont give a toss? they dont.

He asked her why the increase, she insulted him.

Not what you'd consider good customer relations. In good sport, under the circumstances, he said he'd be back in the low season.

I can't see any request for special treatment, nor any implied obligation to inside information.

Rampant discrimination here. White mans tax. Foreigner price and Thai price. Fair enough if your a newbie but he was a regular customer.

Share an interesting story, an anecdote. Don't cry like a baby and shoot the messenger.

That was the point.

He asked her why the increase, she insulted him.

Now come on , that isnt what happened .

She called him "crazy" because he asked her about her personal finances , and asking her to justify increasing her prices , then he started going on about falling oil prices .

Going into a shop, selecting goods , taking them to the counter and then refusing to pay for them because oil prices have fallen and then walking out the shop without the selected goods, is quite "crazy" behavior and the remark was fully justfidied

Not what you'd consider good customer relations. In good sport, under the circumstances, he said he'd be back in the low season.

He didnt mean that he would come back to do some shopping, what he meant as that he would come back when there were no customers and she would then have to serve him at a lower price n.

His comment wasnt a compliment, it was condescending remark .

"I'll be back, when you are in financial difficulty" isnt a friendly remark , although you probably viewed it as such, but then again you see "Whitemans tax" and dual pricing " everywhere you go , and I dont see then anywhere (barring a few parks )

chiang mai now has an ordinance that prices need to be listed on food vendor carts.

it's no longer "normal" or "ok because it's Thailand culture" to price gouge and treat people unfairly with pricing.

i like how they hold up their index finger and say with a dumb facial expression "one" when your dining solo or buying a back of chips at the market.

i like how they hold up their index finger and say with a dumb facial expression "one" when your dining solo or buying a back of chips at the market.

You mean Thais who speak to you in your own language instead of their own and also hold fingers up , just incase English isnt your language....and you call them "dumb"?

People generally pull a quizzical facial; expression when asking a question. yet you feel that is dumb.

I appreciate their efforts at communication .

I ve never been over charged by a street vendor in CM , most already have their goods priced and its usually 40 Baht for pad Thai, 5-10 baht for kebak and 15-35 bat for Rotis

Thais have a different outlook on pricing goods. Its how much can i charge and get away with. In the countryside prices can be double what you pay in the cities. I think the logic here is to buy it from one of the wasados for 100 baht and mark it up 100% and sell for 200 baht. Even simple things like engine oil and oil filters are highly marked up out in the boonies, so a simple oil change service can turn out expensive. Tip is to make a list of stuff you need and next time you visit the city, buy all the things on your list.

I tend to do alot of things myself; eg diy/house repairs/car maintenance. Then you dont get raped for the work and you know the job was not bodged. For example local motorbike shop damages hubs and rims for a simple puncture repair, and removes the rubber cover over the spoke ends to ensure you get another puncture fairly quickly, to ensure you return and provide more business! Not to mention stripped threads, rounded nuts and other mechanical abominations! This is all rather upsetting on an almost new motorbike.

Hubby and I had a nursery/greenhouse in Michigan before we retired to Thailand and you'd better believe that "regular" customers (or those who fancied themselves as regulars because they bought from us once a year) noticed big-time when we raised prices. We heard about it and how our prices were so much higher than Home Depot and Walmart even though we offered a different range of products. There are Cheap Charlies everywhere. I learned how to handle this straight out of college in my first job in industrial marketing with a chemical company that always had the highest priced products in the market. It's nice to be able to look someone in the eye and say "I'm glad I have to defend my pricing and not my quality", Hubby and I continued that with our own company of keeping the highest quality and if we messed up somehow, making it right for the customer.

Yes, I suppose the OP has a "right" to ask the vendor why the prices have gone up. Remember the "deflation" here in Thailand is largley due to oil price reductions and not all companies are benefiting for this. But, frankly I think that companies have a "right" to raise prices without telling their customers why they're doing so, just as customers have a "right" to stop patronizing the business without reporting to the business why they've stopped darkening their door. And don't most people just stop patronizing a business without giving them the courtesy of telling them why they've stopped coming?

I expect every business to charge what market will bear, that's how they make money.

I'm not surprised, nor do I think it in fair when flowers in a hospital's gift shop, a bottle of water at the airport or beer at a strip-joint cost more than at Tesco.

Actually, I think Thailand is much better about than most other places I have been.