Thai health officials order nationwide testing for bacteria in Sushi

webfact

Nationwide Testing for Bacteria in Sushi Ordered
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14543997391454399764l.jpg
Photo: Matichon

BANGKOK — Concerns about an outbreak of bacteria in sashimi and sushi has prompted health officials to order yesterday a nationwide inspection.

In December, bacteria in salmon sashimi, a favorite Bangkok dish, sickened a number of customers at Sushi Hiro on Rama III Road, and officials from the Food and Drug Administration on Monday said tests of raw fish food safety will be conducted across the country.

On Friday, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration ordered inspections of all sushi sellers in the capital. Officials have not announced any other incidents of contamination, or why they are expanding the inspection nationwide at this time.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454399739

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-02-02

I would think any food eaten raw has a nice colony of Bacteria,even some cooked foods too,

sanitary and Thailand don't really go together,and you can never be sure the server/cook has

washed their hands after going to the toilet,too many times i have seen cooks,wipe the work

top with a filthy rag,the pre-pair food.

regards worgeordie

• 3 months later...

It's not just the bacteria you have to worry about with Thai sushi... It's also the coloring dyes used to color the fish.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/27/sushi-crackdown-officials-collect-raw-fish-samples-run-chemical-dye-tests

Dr. Nantarika Chansue, an aquatic lives expert from Chulalongkorn University, conducted a simple experiment on her Japanese dinner and found out that the raw fish she had planned to eat was dyed pink.

Dr. Nantarika’s experiment was a simple one. She just left a sample of her tuna in water for five minutes. In that time, the color surprisingly came off, revealing white meat.

“I ordered a sushi set from a popular chain restaurant and, as a fish doctor, I just couldn’t eat it. The color of the tuna was unnaturally pink,” she wrote in a Facebook post that went viral on Wednesday.

Dr. Paisal Dunkum, deputy secretary-general of the FDA, said that it is illegal to dye raw meat and that violators could face up to two years imprisonment and a fine of THB20,000.

Incident six months ago, action now???? Will they test all the roadside sushi sellers too? Maybe not, i am sure the sushi is fine after sitting out in 33 degree weather and the dirt of the traffic.