New car taxation in Thailand in place?

mortenaa

Hi,

I hear different stories. Is the new taxation actually in place? I was talking to some friends today, and they claimed that a BMW M4 would cost around 6.XXXX million with the new taxation, compared to almost 8 million before new year.

My BMW dealer told me they are bringing in M-cars again, specifically the M2 (!), starting on the motor show in April. And the price will be 5,999,000 for the car, which produces around 370PS, and will be offered with a 5 years full warranty and BSI. Nice one!

Anyone have any other news about powerful cars might be a bit cheaper now?

I doubt that this price reduction has to do with tax.

Generally sales tax on cars has been raised,

On the other hand tax is capped at 40% as far as I know.

I assume that these cars are already at this limit.

I vaguely remember that there was a similar thread about BMW prices some time ago.

Only explanation for a price reduction that I have would be that more parts or whole cars are assembled in Thailand.

I doubt that this price reduction has to do with tax.

Generally sales tax on cars has been raised,

On the other hand tax is capped at 40% as far as I know.

I assume that these cars are already at this limit.

I vaguely remember that there was a similar thread about BMW prices some time ago.

Only explanation for a price reduction that I have would be that more parts or whole cars are assembled in Thailand.

No. M-cars are not assembled in Thailand. They are mostly (99,99%) gray market imports. I talked to Thai people within the industry - they spefically said its because of tax. The new taxes move to a Co2-based structure, away from horsepower and engine size. That means that a modern engine can have low emissions with high power output.

The new taxation system still has cubic capacity thresholds (3,000cc for cars, 3,250cc for pickups and PPV's) - go over these and nothing changes...

The M3 and M4 squeeze under the limit with their twin turbo 3.0L 6's, but the M5's 4.4L V8 gets the same tax it always did.

The 6-pot in the M3 and M4 is rated at 204g/KM CO2 which puts it at the 2nd highest tax tier under the 2016 rules: 40% - compared to a 50% rate it got in 2015.

I wouldn't be expecting any *big* price drops...

The new taxation system still has cubic capacity thresholds (3,000cc for cars, 3,250cc for pickups and PPV's) - go over these and nothing changes...

The M3 and M4 squeeze under the limit with their twin turbo 3.0L 6's, but the M5's 4.4L V8 gets the same tax it always did.

The 6-pot in the M3 and M4 is rated at 204g/KM CO2 which puts it at the 2nd highest tax tier under the 2016 rules: 40% - compared to a 50% rate it got in 2015.

Thank you!

Well, something has clearly changed, since they can bring in an M3/M4 from England, and sell it for 6.million something. Some people metioned 6.2. I don't know how accurate that is, but that brings it to price comparable with Norway and Denmark etc.

Does the new tax also has hp-rating?

Thank you!

Well, something has clearly changed, since they can bring in an M3/M4 from England, and sell it for 6.million something. Some people metioned 6.2. I don't know how accurate that is, but that brings it to price comparable with Norway and Denmark etc.

Does the new tax also has hp-rating?

The new taxes are based on:

Vehicle Class

CO2 thresholds

Cubic capacity thresholds

Fuel type (E10/20, E85, Hybrid/EV)

No HP limits anymore

Why worry be Happy. Go electric. The Tesla S already does 426 kilometres on a single full charge. Cost with Import taxes 4,670640 Baht.

A lot cheaper than a BMW for an amazing car that's eco-friendly. New battery technology in development will in less than 10 years give a 1000 miles per charge.

Save yourself a 1,500,000 Baht and get real style. With the new tax rules it could be even less and government friendly. If you have solar panel electricity; you could be getting the impossible free lunch, by saving on gas. A multi-win situation.

Why worry be Happy. Go electric. The Tesla S already does 426 kilometres on a single full charge. Cost with Import taxes 4,670640 Baht.

A lot cheaper than a BMW for an amazing car that's eco-friendly. New battery technology in development will in less than 10 years give a 1000 miles per charge.

Save yourself a 1,500,000 Baht and get real style. With the new tax rules it could be even less and government friendly. If you have solar panel electricity; you could be getting the impossible free lunch, by saving on gas. A multi-win situation.

Where do you charge it ?

And why the dumb large bolded font ?

Where do you charge it ?

And why the dumb large bolded font ?

Wants to be noticed.

I would love a Tesla Model S. Where did u get the price 4,670,640 Baht? I can't find any information about it online.

Have to wait until the Tesla is released to the Thai market. Its heavily depended on a 3G network and getting updates. Besides who would buy such a car with no dealership, warranty and repairs?

So with these new tax regs in mind, and a motor show coming up end of March, any insider scoops/rumours of new models to be announced with decent power/performance?

With the current trend of downsizing and sticking on turbos coupled with the lifting of the 220bhp ceiling it should be an opportunity for manufacturers here to offer a sport model that is, well, sporty! and not just a bodykit on the same tepid-engined base model with a terrible gearbox.

The Focus RS is apparently a global release, but does Ford include Thailand on it's Globe?? Yeah, its a focus, and the styling a bit boy racer - Id like to see one in the flesh, but its a seriously quick car, and getting rave reviews.

Golf R - whats up with VW here?! Content selling 50 beetles a year to women?! I don't think their website has been updated in 4 years

The M2 looks awesome, but at 6 mil...hmmmm... it's a big chunk.... at 5 mil I'd probably make a bad (but smile inducing) decision wub.png

So with these new tax regs in mind, and a motor show coming up end of March, any insider scoops/rumours of new models to be announced with decent power/performance?

With the current trend of downsizing and sticking on turbos coupled with the lifting of the 220bhp ceiling it should be an opportunity for manufacturers here to offer a sport model that is, well, sporty! and not just a bodykit on the same tepid-engined base model with a terrible gearbox.

The Focus RS is apparently a global release, but does Ford include Thailand on it's Globe?? Yeah, its a focus, and the styling a bit boy racer - Id like to see one in the flesh, but its a seriously quick car, and getting rave reviews.

Golf R - whats up with VW here?! Content selling 50 beetles a year to women?! I don't think their website has been updated in 4 years

The M2 looks awesome, but at 6 mil...hmmmm... it's a big chunk.... at 5 mil I'd probably make a bad (but smile inducing) decision wub.png

The Focus RS isn't assembled in ASEAN, so highly unlikely we'll ever see it here.

BMW and Benz are the main brands we can expect to see some more interesting models from - as you've noted, the M2 releases next month - 2,979cc twin turbo with 370HP - and at 6M Baht definitely reflects a big tax saving, even if it still can't be considered "cheap" :)

Expect more releases from these brands with > 220HP in Q3 this year.

Archived