Dumb question about registering USA marriage

PhuketAmerican

So I scoured the forums and embassy website looking for the exact right steps to get our USA marriage recognized here in Thailand, but I have one last dumb question. On the USA marriage affidavit form, the choices for me in step 5 are : SINGLE, DIVORCED, or WIDOWED. We got married in Alexander County, NC, USA in May and have recieved our marriage certificate, so we are married in the eyes of USA. Should I still check single?

For now I have left the boxes blank, does anyone else have any insight? Preferably someone with experience.

-EMC

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/marriage_affidavit.pdf is the link for form Im speaking of

You are married in the eyes of the world - there is no more getting married for you until/if you end your current marriage - your marriage is fully legal in Thailand and unless you want to register for extension of stay nothing more is required (you do not want to fill our a marriage affidavit at the Embassy).

There is a registration procedure to record your US marriage if that is what you want to do - but many never bother unless required for extension of stay reasons.

Yes thats exactly what I want to do which is why I asked the question. I want to get the affidavit, go get my USA certificate of marriage translated, go to the MFA to have it "legalized/validated" and go to the Amphur office in Bang Rak to get my marriage registered in Thailand.

Archived