Converting a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry into a retirement extension

This topic has been touched on during the discussion on another recent thread:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/891024-abandoning-a-retirement-visa-and-applying-for-a-new-one/
But I have a specific query and think this is worth a separate discussion, so here goes...

The Pattaya City Expats Club website has the following advice....

"... if you qualify as a retiree and did not obtain a Non-Immigrant O-A visa in your home country or obtain a Non-Immigrant O Visa for entry (i.e. entered using a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt status), Thai Immigration will allow you apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa at the Thai Immigration Office on Chaengwatana in Bangkok, and will grant a 90 day permission to stay, which then can be extended for one year at the Thai Immigration office serving your geographical location."

My question is: does a retiree here on ThaiVisa.com have experience of doing this recently? How did it go?

Incidentally the info on the website then says...
"Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration takes the application and sends it to Bangkok for approval."

Thanks.

PS: As Jingthing pointed out on the other thread: in this discussion it can be important to bear in mind the difference between a Non-Immigrant O and a Non-Immigrant O-A.

If you are on a visa exempt entry you apply for a non immigrant visa (TM87 form), If on a tourist visa you apply for a change of visa status (TM86 form) to obtain a non immigrant visa. For both you must have at least 15 days reaming on your entry and must meet the financial requirements to apply for an extension based upon retirement.

There have been several reports of people doing them at Jomtien immigration. They accept the application and send it to Bangkok for approval.

• Like 1

Yesterday I applied to convert my multi entry tourist visa, ( last entry ), to a non immigrant O for retirement purpose at Jomtien. I provided the following :

Passport copies - Info page, TM arrival card, UK visa page, latest entry stamp.

Bank copies - original letter from bank re bank balance, information front page of bank book, current transaction page of bank book to show a transaction history dating back 5 months showing the qualifying balance.

Proof of residence ( the hardest part as it turned out ) - I own my own condo but in company name. I initially provided a letter from the juristic body confirming I was the owner plus the form they submitted online to confirm my arrival within 24 hours. This was not enough. I went back and got a copy of my original condo purchase document, a copy of the chanoot and an updated company registration document which shows the company to me link as director, ( the update cost 350 baht at Krung Thai bank who have an online link with the Dept of Business Development - excellent customer service ). I now see that Pattaya City expats club recommend those documents for someone in my position.

This was then accepted, paid the 2,000 baht and was given my receipt and a ticket to come back on March 3rd to see if approved by Bangkok. This is the bit I didn't expect. The date they have given me is the date my current visa expires, which is hardly reassuring in the event of a problem. Obviously I will have to prepare the documents for an extension to my existing visa and take that with me on the day as a back up plan.

With regards your bank book history. Does it show that the money in your account came from o/s. My understanding is that this is required.

No and I'm well aware that this could lead to a refusal, I raised the question on another thread in advance of my submission and decided to take the risk. My money was built up through working legally in Thailand 3 years ago so can't provide the o/s proof, hence why I attached a dated transaction history. I am relying on their discretion and will accept the outcome.

With regards your bank book history. Does it show that the money in your account came from o/s. My understanding is that this is required.

No and I'm well aware that this could lead to a refusal, I raised the question on another thread in advance of my submission and decided to take the risk. My money was built up through working legally in Thailand 3 years ago so can't provide the o/s proof, hence why I attached a dated transaction history. I am relying on their discretion and will accept the outcome.

I had same problem. One solution is rather than convert you can obtain the non O outside of los. I choose Vientiane because it's reasonable consulate and I like spending time in udon thani. Just a suggestion if you have problems with your conversion

If you are on a visa exempt entry you apply for a non immigrant visa (TM87 form), If on a tourist visa you apply for a change of visa status (TM86 form) to obtain a non immigrant visa. For both you must have at least 15 days reaming on your entry and must meet the financial requirements to apply for an extension based upon retirement.

There have been several reports of people doing them at Jomtien immigration. They accept the application and send it to Bangkok for approval.

The Pattaya City Expats Club info suggests that you have to go to Chaengwatana in Bangkok for the first stage. But both you and kinyara are saying there may be no need if you apply at Jomtien. If so, I live in Pattaya, so that is very handy.

Also I must say I wouldn't fancy doing this on a visa exempt entry. You start off with only 30 days in which to accomplish the mission. That's a bit nerve-wracking.

Edited by AbeSurd

This was then accepted, paid the 2,000 baht and was given my receipt and a ticket to come back on March 3rd to see if approved by Bangkok. This is the bit I didn't expect. The date they have given me is the date my current visa expires, which is hardly reassuring in the event of a problem. Obviously I will have to prepare the documents for an extension to my existing visa and take that with me on the day as a back up plan.

Yikes, that is nerve-wracking.