Credit Card Madness

How readily can you afford to clear her debt ?

You say you are possibly getting hitch, so she appears to be a keeper but has this debt issue.

An option could be: Pay of Her Debt, leave her with one 'emergency' credit card, cancel all the rest - agree that you see the Credit Card bill each month. In fact you could go a step further, become a second Card Holder, so it looks less strange that you want to see her CC statement each month.

IF you are so inclined you could also have her pay you back, but without the 20-28% interest the Banks are charging.

I know most people won't agree with me, but if a bank is charging 28% interest, they deserve to have the debtor walk away and give them nothing. They are just crooks.

But the girl was stupid in the first place getting into all that debt. A more fairer interest rate should be 15/17%.

• Like 1

"Walk away from the rest. No money....sorry!"

In other words, you are going to advise her to steal the money. Sounds like you two are perfect for each other.

This is why we can't have nice things.

That's true, but there are no bigger thieves than banks (although in their case it's legal)

For those who think it is wrong to steal from banks, ask yourself this, and be honest.

If you were about to use an ATM, and before you had a chance to put your card in, the money

started spouting out, what would you do, just walk away?

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 2

ChouDoufu, on 03 Feb 2016 - 13:38, said:snapback.png

i'm not going to pay off her loans. her responsibility....if she defaults, she has
to live with the consequences. for her that would be a bad credit rating and no
credit cards. but the banks will also have to live with their irresponsible lending.

Sounds like there may be hope for you after all - You are not going to pay off her loans. It will be interesting to see how long she will stay with you, do not hurry to get hitched continue to offer a fix to help her problems if you feel the need to do so. The best way is to ask the credit card banks to restructure the loans if possible and have her ask her family for help if that works well you might have a keeper to get hitched to - Chok dee

I love the credit card laws here in Thailand ,a young lady like this with no money can have 6 credit cards ,but when i asked the bank for one ,(i have quite a lot in this particular bank) so that i could pay for my airfares etc online which i cannot do with a debit card , not a hope , amazing Thailand .wink.png

Well that is a nice lie, because the major banks in Thailand will issue a credit card to foreigner on the condition that you put the limit amount in a fixed deposit account.

Not necessary, some will, and some won't, every bank and every branch make up their own rules about what is required, whether it's for credit cards or anything else.

from what i read, individuals cannot declare bankruptcy if debts total less than

one million baht. ...... maybe i should get her to charge more stuff?

she is NOT asking me for money. i kept tripping over the piles of monthly

credit card statements.

i don't see her as a scammer. just someone from a culture with no education

provided in personal finance, and a live-for-today attitude. or am i missing

something? are thais famous for their intricate planning and attention to detail?

not the same mistake six or ten or whatever times.....a continuous attempt to

juggle multiple cards, moving cash back and forth to try to meet the deadlines.

same thing happens to many folks in the west as well.

i'm not going to pay off her loans. her responsibility....if she defaults, she has

to live with the consequences. for her that would be a bad credit rating and no

credit cards. but the banks will also have to live with their irresponsible lending.

did convince her to call the legal office number on the collection letter i tripped

over. they've agreed to a 50% settlement to close the account.

one down.

i might could offer to lend her the money to pay one-time settlements for her

delinquent accounts. in the meantime, i have taken away her credit cards....

You have a saviour complex, so you are not going to be told and you are not going to listen.

You have two choices.

1. Pay all her debts for her.

Or before you do that,

2. Read Private Dancer by Stephen Leather. It's a free download.

You are so so right

I love the credit card laws here in Thailand ,a young lady like this with no money can have 6 credit cards ,but when i asked the bank for one ,(i have quite a lot in this particular bank) so that i could pay for my airfares etc online which i cannot do with a debit card , not a hope , amazing Thailand .wink.png

Well that is a nice lie, because the major banks in Thailand will issue a credit card to foreigner on the condition that you put the limit amount in a fixed deposit account.

You are quite right , but i was not lying ,why should i put money into another account to cover what i spend? it then is no longer a "credit" card , it means though that i have to put 40/50 thousand in an account that does not pay interest , does a Thai have to do this ? no

• Like 1

Best option for her is to default on her loans. Don't help her out with her debt, I'm sure she will continue with getting into debt as she seems unable to manage her personal finances. Also be careful about marriage. Best not to marry her otherwise she will get you into trouble as well.

Pay the friends credit card off. Forget everything else. Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer

first. Don't get married till its all sorted, she has a problem. If you do get married make

sure you have a pre-nup that keeps any of her future mistakes hers. What ever you

do, don't throw good money after bad. Best of luck. thumbsup.gif

How readily can you afford to clear her debt ?

You say you are possibly getting hitch, so she appears to be a keeper but has this debt issue.

An option could be: Pay of Her Debt, leave her with one 'emergency' credit card, cancel all the rest - agree that you see the Credit Card bill each month. In fact you could go a step further, become a second Card Holder, so it looks less strange that you want to see her CC statement each month.

IF you are so inclined you could also have her pay you back, but without the 20-28% interest the Banks are charging.

'Want to get hitched? Fine. Your choice entirely. Just go into it with both eyes open. Expect issues like this for your entire married life.

'Have a very good friend married to a pathological spender. 'A very nice lady, but just plain addicted to uncontrolled spending on anything & everything. Boatloads of stuff. The dept stores see her coming and fall all over themselves pushing stuff on her she has absolutely no need for, and then are usually pretty intransigent about taking anything back. The stories are hair-raising. I don't know how my friend has succeeded in keeping a roof over their heads for all these years, but he somehow has.

You are quite right , but i was not lying ,why should i put money into another account to cover what i spend? it then is no longer a "credit" card , it means though that i have to put 40/50 thousand in an account that does not pay interest , does a Thai have to do this ? no

wa wa wa you are starting to sound like gf .

Actually it is rather short sighted, in my opinion, to blame the banks. And she should come clean to family and get it taken care of - families do help in such cases if they can believe she can/will reform.

Of course blaming the banks and jumping debt is much easier as taking responsibility.

There is blame on both sides of the argument. Banks do it in every country. Giving loans to people they know cant afford to repay it. That is the reason the world economy is in its present state.

Does the OP know why she has run up these debts? There could be a valid reason we dont know so lets not put too much blame on her at this point.

Edited by gandalf12

Your money is in the bank anyway, so what does it make a difference in which account, since the fixed deposit required for the credit card pays interest and in fact more interest than your normal deposit account.

If you don't agree with that, get a job and you can get a credit card, same as Thais who i believe also need a job to get a credit card.

Not necessary, some will, and some won't, every bank and every branch make up their own rules about what is required, whether it's for credit cards or anything else.

Sorry to break that for you, but the " they make up their own rules about the credit card" exists only in your own mind.

Excellent example of an STD - sexually trasmitted debt

She sounds like a right scammer tbh...
While it maybe easy to overspend on one credit card, to max out 6 + another one that doesn't even belong to her is a huge red flag imo

I would advise you to walk away from her as you probably have only heard 10% of this story so far..... But I know you won't because , she's different.... smile.png

• Like 1

Actually a somewhat common scenario where women are living life large...on credit....and men pay off their lifestyle expenditures

I think you will regret keeping this one as a GF.

It is amazing the problems some guys will put up with just for some pretty pussy.

Cheers

• Like 1

Sorry to break that for you, but the " they make up their own rules about the credit card" exists only in your own mind.

Have you read the Thaivisa bank forum at all? There are lots of examples over the years about posters asking about credit cards among other things and

getting different answers from different branches of the same bank.

My own experience is. my first bank requires a work permit for a credit card, and no limited amounts in a fixed deposit amount.

My second bank allows the fixed deposit amount with no work permit.

Go to step 2 right away run don't walk. Even if you straighten out her debts out she has no understanding of budgeting. Like drugs she will fall back into the same hole. Credit card debt and lack of handling money skills will be the ruination of this country yet.

• Like 1

Banks have a limited time (3 years?) to get you in court. Usually the court will decide in favor of the debtor and come up with an easy pay back scheme. It's a first to sue gets something, the rest wait.

If she has a debt with Kasikorn they will probably move first and fast.

Before the EXPERTS move in this is from personal experience - my ex

• Like 1

Im retired, so no workpermit and I havve a Kasikorn master credidcard. Its all depend in your creditrating

Im retired, so no workpermit and I havve a Kasikorn master credidcard. Its all depend in your creditrating

A dumb question: in Thailand, who provides these credit ratings?

• Like 1