Thailand Elite Visa for 5 years - anyone tried this?

I guess if you want to spend the money, it makes sense -- but the 90 day reporting requirement seems to take the fun out of it. so you either leave the country every 90 days or do the immigration office thing. lots of other kinds of visas that can get you the same advantage or disadvantage without the 500k large investment.

The 90 day reports can probably be done hassle free online. If not, and in Bangkok, one of the services provided is 90 day reporting for you. If outside Bangkok, and the online system fails to work, doing the report by post is also an option. Mostly, going to immigration will be unnecessary on a TE visa.

I got one for my wife and it has been great. Thai Ellite staff are very helpful and the meet & greet service at Swampy is a nice touch. My wife had an Ed Visa before , but after having a baby and the tighter restrictions for an Ed visa , the Thai Elite visa seemed the best option.

It is a bit costly , but over 5 or 6 years , it is well worth it ?

• Like 1

I guess if you want to spend the money, it makes sense -- but the 90 day reporting requirement seems to take the fun out of it. so you either leave the country every 90 days or do the immigration office thing. lots of other kinds of visas that can get you the same advantage or disadvantage without the 500k large investment.

The 90 day reports can probably be done hassle free online. If not, and in Bangkok, one of the services provided is 90 day reporting for you. If outside Bangkok, and the online system fails to work, doing the report by post is also an option. Mostly, going to immigration will be unnecessary on a TE visa.

The online 90 day report does work outside Bangkok. Just look at the pinned topic and you will see reports of ti working many places.

• Like 1

I have the elite card because I'm old and lazy. I'm not rich, but I don't care about leaving a legacy.

It is definitely pricey for most people. Is it worth it? Ask me after 5 years.

It actually can only be stretched to nearly 6 years if you don't leave the country for a year after you return at the end of the 5 years.

Because once you come back to the country after it is expired, you no longer get the one year visa stamp.

• Like 1

The 90 day report when on a Thailand Elite PE visa is the last and only argument left to those who still want to criticize the Thailand Elite program.

This can however been done online, as with any other type of visa. And in Bangkok the Thailand Elite staff do the report for the members.

There has been some rumors that Thailand Elite is trying to remove the need for its members to do the 90 day report.

When this happens I guess that 100% of tv posters will agree that it is the best and most convenient option to stay in Thailand.

But, as I said in a previous post, nobody should be surprised to see the membership joining fee go up...

Edited by gerry1011

Why somebody over 50 would pay 500,000 Bahts for an Elite Visa? I can get an OA Visa M entries for around 6300 Bahts for one year and get a one year extension as I only spend 6 months a year in Thailand, that would be around 31,500 Bahts for 10 years. If someone has that much money to throw away in the garbage can, they can send it to me, I will make good use of it.

Edited by Gerard052

It still seems an expensive option especially given you still have to report every three months to immigration.

I don't think I could part with that sort of money for a visa.

Fortunately I am over 50 .....

IMO it is a very expensive option for which you get nothing in return, also, having to report every three months to immigration????

and Elite visa holders are still contributing to Thailands economy.

Yet some people actually believe we are "guests" in this country.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, and sorry it's been asked before - at least this thread might introduce some people to this not-so-talked-about visa as an option in these days of very strict Thai immigration (loss of the non-immigrant O 'visiting friends and family' visa!).

" this thread might introduce some people to this not-so-talked-about visa"

Actually it's been talked about quite a bit

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=c75d68c0fe183eeff907d8909a0f3f89&app=googlecse#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=elite visa

"very strict Thai immigration (loss of the non-immigrant O 'visiting friends and family' visa"

You can visit whoever you like getting a single or multi entry tourist visa and get extensions to visit Thai wife and/or children or get an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai.

Lots of options. Not particular strict if you qualify.

Edited by Suradit69

Not for the under fifties who want to stay here long term there's not.

The 90 day report when on a Thailand Elite PE visa is the last and only argument left to those who still want to criticize the Thailand Elite program.

This can however been done online, as with any other type of visa. And in Bangkok the Thailand Elite staff do the report for the members.

There has been some rumors that Thailand Elite is trying to remove the need for its members to do the 90 day report.

When this happens I guess that 100% of tv posters will agree that it is the best and most convenient option to stay in Thailand.

But, as I said in a previous post, nobody should be surprised to see the membership joining fee go up...

Anyone can pay someone to report for them which is what TE members are doing.

TE cannot "remove the need for it's members to do the 90 day report" as it is the law. And even if they could somehow change the (immigration act) law in their favour it still wouldn't make the TE worthwhile for many as 90 reporting is no big deal anyway.

I can't be bothered googling it again but I am pretty sure I read your not allowed to work on an elite visa (cannot atain permit). I would have thought this meant that your not allowed to do bussiness on it either?

Edited by sikishrory

I can't be bothered googling it again but I am pretty sure I read your not allowed to work on an elite visa (cannot atain permit). I would have thought this meant that your not allowed to do bussiness on it either?

This was my question that I am still not clear about...A retired visa guy can't work, an O visa guy can but must obtain a WP..

I've had the TE visa for one year now and I love it. These days I have more money than years left to spend it, so I am very happy to pay for convenience and lack of hassles.

After years of applying for many tourist visas, lots of extensions, several overstays, innumerable border runs, etc. I'm so happy to no longer do that.

I've yet to do any 90-day reports. Has anyone here had TE staff do your 90-day report for you? How does that work? Do they need your passport? If so, how do you get it to TE staff and how do you get it back?

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, and sorry it's been asked before - at least this thread might introduce some people to this not-so-talked-about visa as an option in these days of very strict Thai immigration (loss of the non-immigrant O 'visiting friends and family' visa!).

The non-immigrant o visas for visiting spouse or children (family) still exists. Not sure if it was ever issued for visiting friends?

-----------------------------

It was back in 2010....from Hull in England.

But that was stopped by November 2010 I believe.

Also at the same time Perth in Australia was offering same visa, but that also was soon shut down.

Old history lesson.

whistling.gif If you were retired....and had the 500K for a TE visa....you could leave Thailand for (I believe) up to 4 times each year on that TE visa.

Now if you had a adequate monthly pension there are rental places you can rent monthly in Vietnam for less than $200 a month (on a beach also)

So if you had that visa....and that pension....it would be certainly possible to do such a thing on a TE visa.

It should also be possible to do it in Laos,Cambodia, or Malaysia as well.

If that was what you wanted, of course.

Not everybody might want to, but it could be possible.

whistling.gif If you were retired....and had the 500K for a TE visa....you could leave Thailand for (I believe) up to 4 times each year on that TE visa.

Now if you had a adequate monthly pension there are rental places you can rent monthly in Vietnam for less than $200 a month (on a beach also)

So if you had that visa....and that pension....it would be certainly possible to do such a thing on a TE visa.

The PE visa allows a one year entry every time you entry the country for 5 years or if you want to leave the country you can easily apply for a one year extension it you don't want to leave the country.

So what advantages does a TE Visa have over a 'multiple entry' Type O Retirement Visa ? Thanks.

The PE visa you get from a 5 year membership allows for unlimited one year entries for 5 years. You can also easily extend an entry for one year if you don't want to leave the country.

You're incorrect. With a TE visa you can leave and return to Thailand as many times as you want. There is no limit. Why speculate on what you don't know, when the OP is looking for facts not theories?

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

I've had the TE visa for one year now and I love it. These days I have more money than years left to spend it, so I am very happy to pay for convenience and lack of hassles.

After years of applying for many tourist visas, lots of extensions, several overstays, innumerable border runs, etc. I'm so happy to no longer do that.

I've yet to do any 90-day reports. Has anyone here had TE staff do your 90-day report for you? How does that work? Do they need your passport? If so, how do you get it to TE staff and how do you get it back?

You leave your passport and the 90 day report form at the Thailand Elite office any Tuesdays.

They do the reports every Wednesday.

You can pick up your passport on the Thursday.

TE cannot "remove the need for it's members to do the 90 day report" as it is the law. And even if they could somehow change the (immigration act) law in their favour it still wouldn't make the TE worthwhile for many as 90 reporting is no big deal anyway.

Not so long ago some tv posters would not believe that there actually was a "Thailand Elite visa"...

I guess that the day Thailand Elite members do not have to do the 90 day report, some will take quite a long time before to believe it. Let's see what comes up in the future ;)

Good to read that the 90 day report is not a big deal in your opinion... as it seems to be the last possible critic against the program :)

Edited by gerry1011

You leave your passport and the 90 day report form at the Thailand Elite office any Tuesdays.

The TE office is at the BKK immigration building, so having to go to and fro from Sukhumvit Soi 10 on two different days is way more trouble than just going one time, doing the 90-day report myself, and then returning to Soi 10 on the same day.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there perhaps a TE office in a more central location in BKK?

Not so long ago some tv posters would not believe that there actually was a "Thailand Elite visa"...

I guess that the day Thailand Elite members do not have to do the 90 day report, some will take quite a long time before to believe it. Let's see what comes up in the future wink.png

Good to read that the 90 day report is not a big deal in your opinion... as it seems to be the last possible critic against the program smile.png

Another advantage of the TE visa is you don't have to apply for a reentry permit when you depart Thailand.

The TE office is at the BKK immigration building, so having to go to and fro from Sukhumvit Soi 10 on two different days is way more trouble than just going one time, doing the 90-day report myself, and then returning to Soi 10 on the same day.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is there perhaps a TE office in a more central location in BKK?

The office is on Sathorn, next to W Hotel.

The office is on Sathorn, next to W Hotel.

Thanks Gerry ... Good to know. Maybe I can get my favorite moto-cy guy to deliver/pickup my passport at Sathorn office nd I won't even have to leave my condo. Anyway, I'll give TE staff a call and see what are the possibilities.

Edited by HerbalEd

I guess that the day Thailand Elite members do not have to do the 90 day report, some will take quite a long time before to believe it. Let's see what comes up in the future wink.png

Good to read that the 90 day report is not a big deal in your opinion... as it seems to be the last possible critic against the program smile.png

I don't think that the 90 day reporting is the last possible critic against the TE card.

From my perspective it is the 500k for a visa that is the sticking point.

Ridiculous amount of money to stay in a third world country still with no rightssmile.png