World Rainbow Gathering In Ayutthaya

damian5000

some 15 years ago they were connected with an american earthfirst! - harmless fanatics. Now they look more like the new age kids. I bet with thousands of hippies ascending on Ayuthaya the price of grass will go up

The Rainbow Family of Living Light, sometimes known as the "Rainbow Tribe", is an international loose affiliation of individuals who have a common goal of trying to achieve peace and love on Earth. Those who participate in, or sympathize with, the activities of this group sometimes refer to their group simply as the "Family". The words: Rainbow Family in the longer title are a reference to the group's inclusiveness of all colors or races. The use of the phrase: Living Light in the longer title is a reference to "living lightly", or living with little mass or impact on the environment. Rainbow family participants make the claim that their group is the "largest non-organization of non-members in the world". In addition to referring to itself as a non-organization, the group's "non-members" also even playfully call the group a "disorganization". There are no official leaders or structure, no official spokespersons, and no formalized membership. Instead, the Rainbow Family form communities through shared "traditions" of love for the Earth, and gatherings to pray for peace. It is maintained by councils that consist of any "non-member" who wishes to be part of the council.

The first Gathering occurred in San Francisco, California in 1969, but was not widely known as "the Rainbow Gathering" until 1972. The Rainbow Family is most widely known for its large annual American Gatherings (or U.S. "Nationals" and/or "Annuals") which are held on U.S. Forest Service lands. These U.S. Annual Gatherings usually attract between 10,000 and 25,000 participants, and appear to be a constant source of concern for the U.S. Forest Service. They are held in the summer around the time of the Fourth of July and are highlighted by a prayer for peace.

In addition to these larger U.S. Annuals, the Rainbow Family also holds gatherings throughout the year in dozens of other countries. "World Gatherings" are also held from time to time in various countries. Other Rainbow Family activities include regional gatherings (or Regionals) and retreats. There are also small, local activities such as local drum circles, potlucks, music related events and campouts.

All Rainbow Gatherings are held with an open invitation to people of all walks of life, and of all beliefs, to share experiences, love, dance, songs, food and learning.

wonder what the local populace , to say nothing of the authorities , will make of this group of idealistic crusties descending on one of thailands most important historical sites for a week of drum circles and "love".

I do hope they don't start indulging in "fee sek", which is the average Thai's conception of the hippy phenomenon. Or rather proof of their own moral superiority.... :o

This is a "must go", eh? :D Loads of dippo, liberal hippies sat in a field talking about solving the world's problems whilst eating vegan beanburgers; juggling; and fire-eating. :D

Sounds like more fun than listening to haters.

i dont think there is any hate , just a sense of incredulity at the naivety of people who think they can even begin to change peoples ideas by congregating in a field and agreeing with each other and banging drums.

if you want to do something constructive about the state of the world then go and offer your services and financial help to any number of charities , schools and organisations around the world that could do with the money that you will waste on your airfares and other costs in getting here and staying here.

you will merely antagonise local opinion against yourselves , who will see you (rightly) as a bunch of advantaged westerners with more money than sense , and wonder as they recover from the worst flooding in that area for over 50 years , how life can be so unfair.

perhaps you could also tell me why you are bringing your quest for peace to thailand , a relatively peaceful country. why arent you going somewhere where some peace would be very welcome , such as iraq , afghanistan , sudan , chechnya , whay arent you working on the hearts and minds of those people ?

get real.

Edited by taxexile

Sounds like more fun than listening to haters. What could they say about you? I doubt you'd really want us knowing.

I doubt you have any sense of humour whatsoever. Maybe you should organize a "Sense Of Humour Workshop" for your equally irony-free pals? :o

Edited by kmart

This event is certainly not my thing, but I see no reason to heap moral scorn and harsh judgments on people who have a different sense of fun.

I haven't noticed the "Rainbow People" heaping <deleted> on the old rockers who'll be propping up their walking frames into the Eric Clapton concert.

Different strokes, folks.

Edited by fruittbatt

fruitbatt

Different strokes, folks.

hardly.

if a bunch of hippies / rockers / whatever want to gather in a field and listen to a concert , fine.

if a bunch of "old rockers" want to go to an eric clapton concert , (even those who are suffering from some form of disability and need to use a zimmer frame .... what exactly is your problem with those who cannot walk unaided ? do you have equal contempt for those in wheelchairs ? or the aged blind ?...... it might be you one day. ), then fine.

there is no preaching , its music for musics sake . its a party. there is no moral subtext justifying the event

but when a group of people come and grab the moral high ground by claiming to be promoting peace ( there are very few people in the world not promoting peace) and take the easy option of giving it some new world this and new world that along with face paint and drumming , rather than going to the areas of the world that really need help and money and offering practical help , then its definately time to "start heaping the <deleted>" as you so accurately put it.

its an easy gig for them , come to an easy country , party a bit , eat some good food , drink a bit of wine etc.etc. thats what the full moon party is for. thats what glastonbury festival is for.

but to masquerade as doing it "for peace"........ its pure hypocracy. and as stupid as lennon and yoko in amsterdam

they could be doing so much more for peace , for world health issues etc etc.

its not the gathering that is annoying , its the childish adolescent philosophising that they find so necessary.

again , i put it to the original poster , do you ever gather in the wartorn or poverty stricken zones of the world that you profess to be so concerned about.

if you want to party , fine .. go party.

but please cut out the subtexts.

Edited by taxexile

Taxexile,

i tend to agree that simply lobbing in a place which has suffered severe flooding and utilising its resources under the guise of a moral/political agenda is hypocritical and hollow.

However, I don't know much about the "Rainbow People" other than what has been presented here in this forum. I assume they must have some serious thoughts about peace or globalisation or green politics or whatever. obviously it will always be the "hippie stereotype" that is most prominent in media representations of such groups.

I intend to find out what they really represent before leaping to judgment of them as an unwelcome intrusion which will bring the word "farang" into further disrepute in the Kingdom.

And BTW my own stereotype of the "ageing rocker" was certainly not intended to be disrepectful to anyone who needs devices such as walking frames or wheelchairs. Apologies to anyone who may have been offended by this reference. My point was to show that "stereotypes" could be aimed equally at my generation (baby boomers) as at these young Rainbow people.

OK, the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Gathering

gives them a fairly flaky profile. Perhaps not what flood-bound Ayutthaya needs, especially as they don't spend money, but barter with "Snickers" Bars. :o

For a more appreciative view: http://www.proliberty.com/observer/20010701.htm

from a couple who attended one of the "gatherings"

Edited by fruittbatt

I intend to find out what they really represent before leaping to judgment of them as an unwelcome intrusion which will bring the word "farang" into further disrepute in the Kingdom.

fruitbatt , save your time.

the three pics below are from the original posters shots of the colorado gathering he mentions.

activities like this , whilst fine in the west , would certainly bring farangs into disrepute here , even without the nudity element.

it could possibly be conceived as fun , but it wont bring any benefits to world society , and its the hypocrisy that annoys me.

On balance I really don't think Thais are likely to appreciate such an event.

While some elements of the Rainbow philosophy are idealistic, the rituals and practices will be interpreted as feral and "kee-nok" by many Thais. Given the Thai drug laws I really don't understand why the Rainbow people would choose to assemble here. Perhaps the OP could explain the rationale?