Sex tourism trial starts for man accused of traveling to Cambodia to sexually assault children

Jonathan Fairfield

Sex tourism trial starts for man accused of traveling to Cambodia to ‘sexually assault impoverished migrant children’

PHNOM PENH:-- A federal prosecutor told a jury Wednesday that a onetime Southland resident traveled repeatedly to Cambodia to “sexually assault impoverished migrant children,” but the man, who is defending himself, postponed his opening statement.

Delays have kept the case against Ronald “John” Gerard Boyajian at a stalemate for years prior to the start of trial.

“This case is about a man who wanted to sexually assault children — and he found a place where he could do that,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Vanessa Baehr-Jones alleged.

Boyajian traveled to Cambodia — one of Southeast Asia’s poorest countries — about three-dozen times between 2002 and 2009, where he engaged in sexual activity with Vietnamese girls between the ages of 9 and 12 in a village outside Phnom Penh frequented by child molesters and known as “Kilo 11,” the prosecutor alleged.

If someone is accused of theft or fraud everyone agrees that they deserve a fair trial, but when sex offences against children are involved its seems that many people feel a trial is unessesary.

Also.. and I know many people will hate me for saying this. K11 is an area of PP that has long been known for having brothels full of children working as prostitutes. Its one thing to target the punters (and its right and proper that the punters should be prosecuted for their crimes) but why not put an equal amount of effort into preventing the crime in the first place by closing the brothels and prosecuting the people who pimp kids for a living.

Edited by technologybytes

If someone is accused of theft or fraud everyone agrees that they deserve a fair trial, but when sex offences against children are involved its seems that many people feel a trial is unessesary.

Also.. and I know many people will hate me for saying this. K11 is an area of PP that has long been known for having brothels full of children working as prostitutes. Its one thing to target the punters (and its right and proper that the punters should be prosecuted for their crimes) but why not put an equal amount of effort into preventing the crime in the first place by closing the brothels and prosecuting the people who pimp kids for a living.

The local and Provenience BIB collected a lot of bribe moneys from there for a long time until it was exposed by a tourist with a hidden camera.

I fully agree that a fair trial is deserved by all even serious degenerates like this person, the problem is the penalty never is severe enough by many governments; I agree in what you say if this place is so well known why has it not been closed down as this would protect the children and remove temptation from the despicable people who utilise places like this.

I'm afraid I do not have any sympathy for people who commit these type of crimes against children, unfortunately sometimes it is the children's own family who send them to work in places like this, very sad situation.

Dangerous: US prosecutors interpreting law like upcountry Imams. If the man was known to have broken the law in Vietnam, then why did the prosecutor bring him to trial for "wanting" to commit a crime? As far as I know, in civilized democracies, "wanting" to break the law is not a crime.

I am not defending the man, I am defending civil rights.

It this prosecutor's interpretation of law catches on, those senior citizens in Pattaya arrested for playing bridge, could go to prison for "wanting" to gamble. Who could prove otherwise?

Edited by razer

Yeah, I would wait to know more before having a go at him. As sad it is, targeting foreigners is very common in these countries.

That said, it happens/happened here in LOS too. I once saw something similar in Pattaya on a small Soi where young boys, seemed like age somewhere between 8 to 12, were on offer. They were high on drugs and sniffing glue. This was years ago and I don't know the situation nowadays.

It is very difficult to do anything since the mafia and BIB run the whole scam. They catch the perps and then you have the chance to pay up or go to jail. Many choose the first option.

This will continue as long as the real criminals are allowed to do it. I have no sympathy for anyone involved.

Sex Tourism is not by definition against the law. The trial is not about sex tourism but pedophilia.

As everyone knows, many Western men tourists go to Thailand and other countries to find sex in some form or another; many Western women go to West Africa, East Africa and the Caribbean to find sex in some form or another. Whatever your view is of such people, very few are pedophiles.

If the Cambodian Government knows about this village; then why don't they stop it ? Legal age in Cambodia is 18 + years, yes ? same as all

countries.

Legal age in Spain 13, legal age in France 15, legal age in the UK 16. legal age in Thailand is 15 .... to name just a few..

How do you work out 18+ is the legal age in 'all' countries?

He's from the US?

He's going to be gone away for decades once he gets back there.

Good.

He is back there (the story is about the opening statements in the federal District Court in Los Angeles. He obviously is entitled to the presumption of innocence and a fair trial....which he'll get. If convicted, yes, he'll be put away for a fairly long time.

I have read such stories several times since many years ago,,

at some cases, an elder Australian uncle raped a young boy, he stayed 3 years in jail then got royal pardon at some ceremony,

another Belgian guy,, another American, they just spend few years in jail, the lawyer submits some documents of mental sickness or etc,, at they end they are free,, and this biggest sinner and most filthiest industry still going on,, what the HELL crime to be committed on the minors this??

The biggest fault of this crime if from the local very lenient and extra friendly penalty on these filthy cockroaches,,

if there is a strict law on such crimes, these dirty filthy piggy guys they will never travel from their western countries to exercise their filthy hobbies in such alike poor and corrupted countries to allow trade in their children dignity, what honor left??

why these filthy cockroaches can't commit these crimes in their homeland countries? simply.. there is a strict law applied on all, no exception from the justice, no courtesies, no pardons granted,,

if they update the rules and apply fair justice, no one will dare to do such,

Sex Tourism is not by definition against the law. The trial is not about sex tourism but pedophilia.

As everyone knows, many Western men tourists go to Thailand and other countries to find sex in some form or another; many Western women go to West Africa, East Africa and the Caribbean to find sex in some form or another. Whatever your view is of such people, very few are pedophiles.

Don't be so sexist, it's not only men who travel to Southeast Asia for sex. I have three long-time acquaintances, two Germans and an Italian--women, and not bad looking either--who come to Thailand to have sex with young Thai men.