Confusion and Anger at Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

webfact

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a nation wide crackdown Thai police want all Farang Bridge gamblers to report to them within one week.

After a world wide laugh fest in social media over their arrest of elderly Bridge "players" in Pattaya, the police stated they are not fooled by the obvious gambling that is taking place.

The police insist that it was necessary to conduct the raid with 50 men because criminal elements like these are dangerous and Farangs are highly unpredictable. The police saw a group of "chopper" style motorcycles parked three blocks away and this only added to their suspicions that some sort of gang activity was taking place.

As for the age of the Farangs gamblers, Thai police are well aware of elderly Farang women going berserk while trying to shop at Tesco Lotus. The Thai police stated "We were ready for anything".

"Bridge" is obviously a code word for Poker. And the points system is the way the gamblers divide their winnings. Thai police know from their own experience that no one would sit for hours playing cards without some money changing hands.

The police went on to say as no money was found during the raid, it must be stored off site, and divided up later.

Raids will be conducted not only in Pattaya, but in cities like Hua Hin, where nests of Farang Bridge gamblers could be found at golf course club houses or other locations.

Police are also looking into the Bangkok Bridge Festival being held April 5th-9th sponsored by PTT Group. This type of corruption involving big corporation must be stopped.

I'm truly saddened to hear you'll miss seeing your parents....you must be really gutted...

another lousy outcome of this whole sorry affair.

A Bridgeclub and KLM canceled their trip to Phuket (Puke it) for 128 members for coming Sunday and another 128 a week later.

That is 256 HIGH QUALITY tourists from Holland less this month. They're going to Mexico in stead. My parents included !!!

I received an email yesterday evening from my father (an 81 years old retireree with brains) yesterday evening, telling me that the Bridgeclub canceled the trip and tournament. An all inclusive Riu resort in Puerto Vallarta is the winner of this 40,000,000 THB worth 10 day trip. And I am not going to Mexico to see my parents this year.

From Pattaya One:
"....one of the arrestees who does not wish to be named told Pattaya One that he was given verbal confirmation from the Police that the case will likely be dropped and the 5,000 Baht bail money each of the players paid will be returned."

I don't know how reliable this is, but it speaks to all the commentary from folks insinuating that this is a cash grab on the part of the authorities.

Just a guess, but I imagine the Contract Bridge Association lady is well connected and can bring considerable influence to bear.

From Pattaya One:

"....one of the arrestees who does not wish to be named told Pattaya One that he was given verbal confirmation from the Police that the case will likely be dropped and the 5,000 Baht bail money each of the players paid will be returned."

I don't know how reliable this is, but it speaks to all the commentary from folks insinuating that this is a cash grab on the part of the authorities.

Just a guess, but I imagine the Contract Bridge Association lady is well connected and can bring considerable influence to bear.

I believe that article was BEFORE the later press announcement that the cases will be going to court.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1454652034&section=12&typecate=06

"Regarding the law, Khunying Chodchoy stated that an amendment to the Gambling Laws in 1960 allowed for such games, where money was not changing hands, to be played without any form of license or authorization from the Police or Government."

That statement is interesting in itself. One would have to ask why this hadn't been cited earlier to the authorities by those arrested considering the length of time the bridge club has been operating and assuming those running the club knew (and you would expect this, knowing the rules, especially with anything to do with gaming here).

Perhaps it was cited, and that would be the reason why they dredged for the 'more than 120 cards' regulation. That said though, if bridge is legal, amended by law, how can the 120 card rule apply to a legalized game?

Possessing more than 120 cards is legal, but only if each card has an Excise Department stamp.

Yep, noted. Forgot to mention the stamp issue........................wink.png

Wonder where they got the cards?

There is a Government Monopoly on printing Playing Cards in Thailand :

http://www.wopc.co.uk/thailand/playing-cards-factory

and every Pack produced there must have an Excise Seal on the box - just like alcohold and cigarettes.

Patrick

I don't see why all the outrage gigglem.gif it is perfectly clear that the United States Postal Service lists playing cards as prohibited items:

post-10942-0-70959300-1454725223_thumb.p

I wonder if any of those caught up in this "sweep" will have enough gumption to lay a charge of defamation against the officials that authorized this fiasco

Amja

English may not be your first language, but you made your point very eloquently, Good on you.

i believe law is law and police is right to take them. i am not sure why this is made a big deal.

if they are playing card games in Thailand, they have to follow the rules.

rules says that you cannot play more than 120 cards if they dont have government stamp on this.

so, police just did its job by checking foreigners playing cards in sin city Pattaya. There were many instances in the past foreigners opening hidden gamble houses caught by the police.

how can they know what those foreigners doing there?

moreover, you can also gamble with bridge! a simple search at google shows this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_3NT

so what?

Hope this is a sarcastic(but very bad) comment!

Othervise, get a life, open your window and smell little reality!

Must be hard to live with all those small minded thoughts in your head.

Elderly bridgeplayers caught, forced to 12 hours arrest, leave their passports and made to pay 5k!!!

If you think that is ok, you need to think about if planet earth is the right place for you!

I´ve been following these threads and even Swedish morning Tv had some reporting

Police or military aside, I think the saddest things are the posters, like you, that can not see beyond outdated laws!

I feel sorry for you and hope you return to your homecountries ASAP (Bet you know your own countries lawbooks by heart)

Ok, now you can crash down at my writing, but english is my third language.

Amja

Some parts of this government seem to know the law while other parts are in the dark about it. Maybe one bright day in the future, the government will coalesce and become a single government.

yes in the future about the time the Starship Enterprise will be in orbit over the Earth. :)

Shameful treatment of a bunch of retirees enjoying a little harmless social activity.

Maybe we ought to post this article on forums where people ask about relocating to Thailand for their retirement!

yep shameful indeed " SEX,DRUGS AND ROCK N ROLL"

They're not satisfied with the international embarrassment caused by the arrests. They now want to cause further embarrassment by having a trial. God forbid they should admit an error. Laughable.

Hope they make a more convincing case with the DNA evidence this time...

Will reporters be allowed to take notes???

Shameful treatment of a bunch of retirees enjoying a little harmless social activity.

Maybe we ought to post this article on forums where people ask about relocating to Thailand for their retirement!

Great idea.

Tip to potential retirees: Don't burn your BRIDGES ... sorry.gif

Has anyone ever seen locals playing mahjong? Hmm...now I wonder if they ever the Thais would play mahjong for money? Somehow I just can't imagine that the cops would dare to raid any mahjong games lest they catch yaai or yae out gambling with her mates LOL Awkward? Yes? 55555

Depending on what news source you read, every player, including the lady refusing to sign all went home and got their bail payment refunded. Others say the case will proceed while an investigation continues. But it looks like the cops are hanging on to their 'face saver'; the guy who committed the heinous act of having too many cards and also the cards not being 'type' approved.

So we learn something new every day and the only acceptable cards in Thailand are the ones with government stamps on them. Apart from being a gravy train for certain card manufacturers and government enforcers with nothing better to do, one would assume that the grounds for them being controlled in such a manner is so that end-use, i.e. gambling, can be somehow detected. What's the Thai word for whimsical? Anyone?

So we learn something new every day and the only acceptable cards in Thailand are the ones with government stamps on them. Apart from being a gravy train for certain card manufacturers and government enforcers with nothing better to do, one would assume that the grounds for them being controlled in such a manner is so that end-use, i.e. gambling, can be somehow detected. What's the Thai word for whimsical? Anyone?

That part of the story isn't much different than the only legal smokes and liquor are the ones with the government tax stamp.

Arresting people for playing bridge? Priceless. That's a story that will resonate for decades. I wonder who gets to sell the movie rights?

Post removed due to this forum rule:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Archived