Confusion and Anger at Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

webfact

People come to Thailand and can stay of their own free accord and will and of course people need to take care of due diligence and see what problems may arise for themselves while in Thailand. There's no lack of info about the myriad problems people encounter here as tourists, ex-pats, and retirees etc. That said, with the atmosphere currently, that of arbitrary arrests, and certain strata allowed to rip off, kill and rape foreigners with impunity, Thailand really has to be scrutinized as a whole whether they have any business extending invitations to the world inviting people to come here. They do not seem to want to make minor allowances for guests, nor feel they should reign in their own people who would do harm to their guests.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The offense relates to Section 8 of the Playing Cards Act of 1935 which states that an individual is not allowed to possess more than 120 playing cards at any one time. At the Bridge event, considerably more than 120 playing cards were found by officers."
Any half way decent attorney would point out that there was considerably more than one individual member present. The law stipulates that "an", IOW "one" , individual may possess 120 cards. There were what, thirty two individuals involved? Simple arithmetic indicates they would have to have in excess of 64 decks of cards on hand to violate that statute.

32 players * 5000 baht = 160,000 baht. Actually * 31 good on the old lady who didn't pay. This is the only reason for the raid, especially knowing the Farlangs will pay.... Easy money for a mornings work...

The sad part of this gambling is illegal in Thailand thing is that this statement is not actually true...

On every 2nd Sat you can go to the track on Ratchadamri Rd and gamble till your hearts content on the ponys. I used to watch them from my room every 2nd Saturday when I rented at the Grand Centrepoint Ratchadamri..

Finally the curiosity beat me so I attended one Saturday. Bookies, betting windows the whole box n dice.. If you can handle the heat and only being able to see half the track its an interesting day out...You have never seen 10 of the most unfittest horses in the world struggling down the straight till you've been. It's priceless... I even won on a horse called Chicago.. Take your passport if you want a seat in the members area...

At 5000 baht a pop the police could have pulled millions the day I was there..

Strange, strange country indeed..

I think, although I can't be sure, that I read some years ago that gambling at horse races was legal, providing it was on the course. Even the Thai government must have realised that people wouldn't attend meetings just to see horses running around. Double standards obviously. I also think it applies to Thai boxing.

...you cannot ignore the fact that the targets...once again...are non-Thais....

..essentially they broke their way into a private home...with no legal basis...then tried to find one...

...meanwhile....everyone knows how rampant drugs and gambling etc are in Thailand....

...foreigners come her with goodwill....and get bashed at every turn....while 'paying through the nose' all the while...

It seems that you can ignore the facts, though. Essentially the premises was entered entirely legally with a warrant.

Where are the UK diplomatic staff in this farce? My guess is not wanting to upset international relations instead of taking those concerned to task for treating its citizens in such a way...

Sorry to have to break it to you but the Raj is over, with its attended extra-territoriality and unequal treaty stuff.

FYI Thailand was never colonised by the Brits, it's most recent 'guests' being the Japanese. Anyway, I doubt that poster 'alant' and his many 'likers' expect to see a RN gunboat sail up the Chao-Praya river to demand an immediate apology from the Thai gov't, or any form of reparation.

I for one understand the message conveyed in the previous post, but your failed attempt at sarcastic wit makes me wonder how you would feel if it had been you that had been wrongfully arrested.

..essentially they broke their way into a private home...with no legal basis...then tried to find one...

...meanwhile....everyone knows how rampant drugs and gambling etc are in Thailand....

...foreigners come her with goodwill....and get bashed at every turn....while 'paying through the nose' all the while...

It seems that you can ignore the facts, though. Essentially the premises was entered entirely legally with a warrant.

Show me a country anywhere that is ruled by nationalists that wants foreigners living there full time?

All those posters who are taking such great delight in bashing the police should pull their necks back in, read the report again and try to understand, as difficult as it may be for some of them, that there were no police involved in this raid.

Yes there were. They did not instigate the raid but they were involved.

you know, i don't come here to bash Thais, they do it to themselves.

This story has gone viral and the Thai police are being ridiculed around the world.

police are filth in Thailand.

Yet still they come, their home countries must really suck.

Someone gets a tip gambling is going on. Instead of doing any intelligence like sending a few people to check it out and ask discrete questions which would have elicited the fact of what was going on- someone decides to assemble a team of 50 people including the military and other government officials and police officers. Talk about overkill. In addition, the Army should never be involved in policing within the confines of a country. That is not their mission. The military traditionally protects a country from external forces. I hope those who organised this fiasco learned something. In addition, the embassies of those arrested should immediately protect their citizens.An apology from the instigator would be nice.

you know, i don't come here to bash Thais, they do it to themselves.

This story has gone viral and the Thai police are being ridiculed around the world.

police are filth in Thailand.

Yet still they come, their home countries must really suck.

not sure about sucking, but cold comes to mind.

Case Against Elderly Bridge Players Moves Forward

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

PATTAYA — Thirty-two elderly, bridge-playing foreigners will face the music and must defend their innocence in court, Pattaya police said today.

More here - khaosodenglish

kse.png
-- Khaosod English February 5, 2016

Where are the UK diplomatic staff in this farce? My guess is not wanting to upset international relations instead of taking those concerned to task for treating its citizens in such a way...

Sorry to have to break it to you but the Raj is over, with its attended extra-territoriality and unequal treaty stuff.

The Raj is over, not sure if I should treat this comment as serious or a joke. Any country has a duty to look after the interests of its people surely???

32 players * 5000 baht = 160,000 baht. Actually * 31 good on the old lady who didn't pay. This is the only reason for the raid, especially knowing the Farlangs will pay.... Easy money for a mornings work...

The sad part of this gambling is illegal in Thailand thing is that this statement is not actually true...

On every 2nd Sat you can go to the track on Ratchadamri Rd and gamble till your hearts content on the ponys. I used to watch them from my room every 2nd Saturday when I rented at the Grand Centrepoint Ratchadamri..

Finally the curiosity beat me so I attended one Saturday. Bookies, betting windows the whole box n dice.. If you can handle the heat and only being able to see half the track its an interesting day out...You have never seen 10 of the most unfittest horses in the world struggling down the straight till you've been. It's priceless... I even won on a horse called Chicago.. Take your passport if you want a seat in the members area...

At 5000 baht a pop the police could have pulled millions the day I was there..

Strange, strange country indeed..

You don't understand the concept of bail and that bail money is refunded do you? The police make nothing from it.

There are certain exemptions from various laws worldwide, gambling is illegal in Thailand with the lottery and gambling at legal horse racing venues being exemptions.

You should see it a bit from another view. I live since 10 years in SEA. Actually since a few years in Cambodia. People playing here cards excessive (also in Thailand). I even don´t know, how their games are called. It doesn´t matter. They loose complete housholds.Many relationships break. Some wager here up to $300 and more within a few hours - and make big losses.

It is like an epidemic plague. Even those, who are not interested in gambling, always have to justify themselve against others, who say things like "oh, you not have enough money to play a little bit?". This daily and many times. For some Asians it seems to be very hard, to say no under this circumstances, as they not want to be seen as pour people.

And at least it is with such an addiction the same as with driving and drinking alcohol: just don´t allow even one beer. The alcohol level in blood should be zero. Asians tend to excessive gambling and card playing. So just .prohibite any card game. To be honest, I don´t know, how to play Bridge. But I know something else: I bet, you can play it also for money. And with this, it´s clear for me.

In whole South East Asia Card Playing should be prohibited 100 percent.

It seems the Pattaya Police have too much spare time.

Perhaps, it would be far more productivity if they turned their collective minds towards reducing the country's horrendous road toll...

But then, they seem to prefer more menial matters!

Well, perhaps with an extra 50 officers on point duty as punishment, it will be......Then again, maybe not

You should see it a bit from another view. I live since 10 years in SEA. Actually since a few years in Cambodia. People playing here cards excessive (also in Thailand). I even don´t know, how their games are called. It doesn´t matter. They loose complete housholds.Many relationships break. Some wager here up to $300 and more within a few hours - and make big losses.

It is like an epidemic plague. Even those, who are not interested in gambling, always have to justify themselve against others, who say things like "oh, you not have enough money to play a little bit?". This daily and many times. For some Asians it seems to be very hard, to say no under this circumstances, as they not want to be seen as pour people.

And at least it is with such an addiction the same as with driving and drinking alcohol: just don´t allow even one beer. The alcohol level in blood should be zero. Asians tend to excessive gambling and card playing. So just .prohibite any card game. To be honest, I don´t know, how to play Bridge. But I know something else: I bet, you can play it also for money. And with this, it´s clear for me.

In whole South East Asia Card Playing should be prohibited 100 percent.

I am sure you do not have the capacity to play,.

But I cannot accept your totally racist statement "In whole South East Asia Card Playing should be prohibited 100 percent." If it is to be banned it should be the whole world.

It will get thrown out of court. The unfortunate thing is they will have to wait 90 days to get their bail money back

More likely they'll proceed with the prosecution, and then the court will sentence them to life imprisonment if they plead guilty. And then they'll be shackled 24/7 for the many years while the appeals process is taking place.

OMG- it's really happening, and the RTP will show the 31 signed confessions, and that will be the start of a nightmare. I can see this becoming very nasty indeed.

Archived