Confusion and Anger at Pattaya Bridge Club Raid

webfact

...you cannot ignore the fact that the targets...once again...are non-Thais....

..essentially they broke their way into a private home...with no legal basis...then tried to find one...

...meanwhile....everyone knows how rampant drugs and gambling etc are in Thailand....

...foreigners come her with goodwill....and get bashed at every turn....while 'paying through the nose' all the while...

It seems that you can ignore the facts, though. Essentially the premises was entered entirely legally with a warrant.

But wouldnt it be nice to see the evidence presented to justify the warrant being issued.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is by far one of the lamest, weakest, and most misguided acts by the RTP in a very, very long time. When they have a backlog of over 600 cases that deserve attention, they raid a club full of innocent senior citizens, for enjoying a bit of harmless recreation. And drag them down to the police station, after discovering there was absolutely no gambling going on. Once they found out there was no gambling, they should have issued an immediate apology. Instead they dig a deeper hole.

Thailand is now the laughing stock of the world, if it was not already. This news has traveled around the globe, tarnishing the already horrific reputation for the RTP, and this administration. Why this act? Why now? More thoughtlessness all around. More ignorance of the value of PR.

At a time when the administration should be going out of its way to make foreigners, whether they be ex-pats or tourists, feel as welcome as possibly, they continue to do just the opposite. They should be offering free movie tickets to foreigners. Free coupons for meals. Free entrance to the national parks. Anything to make us feel welcome. Anything. Thailand runs the risk of alienating the ex-pat community to the point where they start seeking alternatives. The economy will suffer further. Is that what they want? It appears so. Western tourists are already starting to abandon Thailand as a destination in droves. I can see it everywhere I go. Thai people ask me, where are all of the farengs? The Chinese are not substitutes for foreign tourists. Not the same quality of tourism, on any level.

Well, it is no wonder the Westerners are not coming. Keep it up. Keep shooting yourself in the foot.

This is by far one of the lamest, weakest, and most misguided acts by the RTP in a very, very long time. When they have a backlog of over 600 cases that deserve attention, they raid a club full of innocent senior citizens, for enjoying a bit of harmless recreation. And drag them down to the police station, after discovering there was absolutely no gambling going on. Once they found out there was no gambling, they should have issued an immediate apology. Instead they dig a deeper hole.

Thailand is now the laughing stock of the world, if it was not already. This news has traveled around the globe, tarnishing the already horrific reputation for the RTP, and this administration. Why this act? Why now? More thoughtlessness all around. More ignorance of the value of PR.

At a time when the administration should be going out of its way to make foreigners, whether they be ex-pats or tourists, feel as welcome as possibly, they continue to do just the opposite. They should be offering free movie tickets to foreigners. Free coupons for meals. Free entrance to the national parks. Anything to make us feel welcome. Anything. Thailand runs the risk of alienating the ex-pat community to the point where they start seeking alternatives. The economy will suffer further. Is that what they want? It appears so. Western tourists are already starting to abandon Thailand as a destination in droves. I can see it everywhere I go. Thai people ask me, where are all of the farengs? The Chinese are not substitutes for foreign tourists. Not the same quality of tourism, on any level.

Well, it is no wonder the Westerners are not coming. Keep it up. Keep shooting yourself in the foot.

I think you rather exaggerate the influence that this case will have, but nice rant!

you know, i don't come here to bash Thais, they do it to themselves.

This story has gone viral and the Thai police are being ridiculed around the world.

I don't think the Thais really care what others think to be honest...

I have a feeling you are quite correct.Until the international community decides that goods made/grown in Thailand can be obtained elsewhere. Tourists will choose friendlier destinations.Multinational companies will relocate their manufacturing facilities to countries that are not so xenophobic and realise that they need to CO_EXIST with the rest of the world. Food will be sourced from other countries, The West will stop supplying arms and equipment to the Thai army/airforce/navy. Thailand will go bust,. But only the poor will really suffer. You never know, they might actuallly try and change their situation rather like the French did.

This story has gone viral and the Thai police are being ridiculed around the world.

I have a feeling you are quite correct.Until the international community decides that goods made/grown in Thailand can be obtained elsewhere. Tourists will choose friendlier destinations.Multinational companies will relocate their manufacturing facilities to countries that are not so xenophobic and realise that they need to CO_EXIST with the rest of the world. Food will be sourced from other countries, The West will stop supplying arms and equipment to the Thai army/airforce/navy. Thailand will go bust,. But only the poor will really suffer. You never know, they might actuallly try and change their situation rather like the French did.

But that won't happen. Thailand is strategically important for the west. Obama has even invited the PM to the US/ASEAN meeting in California. Arresting a few bridge players is not quite the international incident some are making it out to be (or hoping it will be).

But that won't happen. Thailand is strategically important for the west. Obama has even invited the PM to the US/ASEAN meeting in California. Arresting a few bridge players is not quite the international incident some are making it out to be (or hoping it will be).

You are quite correct. It is not an 'international incident'. But, it makes the Thai people an international laughing stock. Oh, you come from Thailand, is'nt that where they arrest elderly people for playing bridge, ha, ha, ha. Are you all stupid like that? There is a possibility that this will happen, silly little things like this stick in peoples mind, because they find it amusing.

Bangkok Post had an interesting article on it today.. likened the stupidity of this by giving an analogy of Poilce stopping the Buriram Chang motorbike races to hand out speeding tickets...

Amusing...maybe not that far fetched......

Interesting to read backlash over this action.... lots of well heeled travellers who enjoy travel and bridge games are blacklisting Thailand.... heard of one group of 80 Swedish folks .... estimated to have cost Thailand 8-10M Baht in lost tourist revenue alone...... this plus others ( I think one poster here indicated around 250 or so players from Netherlands cancelled plans)

I wonder ..... If Yingluck is being held to account for damage to Thai economy and misuse of power over the Rice Scheme then maybe the powers that be behind this " Bridge" over trouble waters should be held accountable for their damage and loss to the Thai economy as well.

Crazy point about this is, as per Bangkok Post .... 1943 when the playing card law was bought in , the nominated fine was 500B.... back then lunch was 1B so it was a considerable amount of money then ...so if each of the offenders is charged the prescribed fine there will a boost to the state coffers of around 170K Baht .... surely one would think... no strike that - one would HOPE..... that someone in leadership somewhere says hmm.. lets see 170K revenue and laughing stock of the world or let it go with an apology , start a campaign to attract Bridge Players and save possibly 100M Baht of tourism monies.........

Ahhh but I forgot Im not Thai and dont understand Thainess.......

They're not satisfied with the international embarrassment caused by the arrests. They now want to cause further embarrassment by having a trial. God forbid they should admit an error. Laughable.

Hope they make a more convincing case with the DNA evidence this time...

Will reporters be allowed to take notes???

Im waiting for the crime scene re-enactment with all the Bridge players wearing flak jacket and helmets and the obligatory police finger points.........

I think you rather exaggerate the influence that this case will have, but nice rant!

Perhaps. But, people are talking. This case is an exaggerated version of the bad judgment both the police and the government are exercising on a daily basis, when it comes to the treatment of tourists and ex-pats. Without sounding too important, we as ex-pats should be honored, and given the respect we deserve. We bring alot to this country. Those of us who have a decent income from overseas, or pensions contribute more to the economy, than the average Thai, in pure monetary terms. Many of us are very fond of the local people, and treat them very kindly, and behave in a very respectful manner. We are of value. But, we are not always made to feel that way by the authorities, who are often missing the point, and nearly always lacking in vision and foresight, and blinded by a nationalist agenda that serves nobody except themselves.

The word gets around. The internet is buzzing with talk about the authorities, their blunders, and their callous attitudes. There are definitely less Westerners here, than there used to be. Some of it is purely economic. But, some no doubt is due to bad press, and horrifically bad PR that the PM and others have engendered, and some of this goes viral. People all over the world are talking about this latest bridge club fiasco. It does have a cumulative effect. With the neighbors making a greater effort to lure foreigners, Thailand is losing it's place, to some extent. Their economic might is declining, and their clout is diminishing, in the region, and worldwide. What will happen over time is anyone's guess. But my guess is that tourism will continue dropping, and the Thai people will see that the influx of Chinese tourists has not had the positive economic impact they were hoping.

Perhaps. But, people are talking.

No they are not. At least the Thais are not; they don't give a flying fart about it and - as stated above - most are unaware of it.

Only the international community (who Thais don't give a toss about) and expat Farangs (who the Thais don't give a toss about) are talking about it.

i believe law is law and police is right to take them. i am not sure why this is made a big deal.

if they are playing card games in Thailand, they have to follow the rules.

rules says that you cannot play more than 120 cards if they dont have government stamp on this.

so, police just did its job by checking foreigners playing cards in sin city Pattaya. There were many instances in the past foreigners opening hidden gamble houses caught by the police.

how can they know what those foreigners doing there?

moreover, you can also gamble with bridge! a simple search at google shows this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_3NT

so what?

Hope this is a sarcastic(but very bad) comment!

Othervise, get a life, open your window and smell little reality!

Must be hard to live with all those small minded thoughts in your head.

Elderly bridgeplayers caught, forced to 12 hours arrest, leave their passports and made to pay 5k!!!

If you think that is ok, you need to think about if planet earth is the right place for you!

I´ve been following these threads and even Swedish morning Tv had some reporting

Police or military aside, I think the saddest things are the posters, like you, that can not see beyond outdated laws!

I feel sorry for you and hope you return to your homecountries ASAP (Bet you know your own countries lawbooks by heart)

Ok, now you can crash down at my writing, but english is my third language.

Amja

smell the reality?

it is just a comment explaining the reality.

reality bites people like you i guess yeah. but just at least you smell it a bit from a distance:

a group of foreigners caught playing a card game with unauthorized playing cards, you like it or not but this is the law.

moreover, theirs is not an official club and gamers, very well, can gamble playing 'Bridge'. Again, many instances, police found and raided gambling dens run by foreigners in Thailand. of course army or police whatever must have more important things to do and more important crimes to prevent or important fugitives to catch then going hard on soem elder people.

do i like the fact that they detained those elderly foreigners for 12 hours and made them pay 5000 thb? hell no and of course i dont feel good about it but laws are laws. if an elder person does something against the law in your home country, police will not be detaining them just because they are old?

and just wake up, it is not about we see through ancient laws or we like them or not.

it is all about if you are doing something, do it proper according to the laws, ancient or not, or they might get you arrested for 12 hours and let you pay 5000 thb.

you have to obey the laws here, you dont like the laws? go back to your home country because those ancient laws here will stay and it is not you to change them.

Perhaps. But, people are talking.

No they are not. At least the Thais are not; they don't give a flying fart about it and - as stated above - most are unaware of it.

Only the international community (who Thais don't give a toss about) and expat Farangs (who the Thais don't give a toss about) are talking about it.

I believe that positive change in Thailand will only come about through the extreme embarrassment brought on by other countries finding out about Thailand's shortcomings. Enough egg on the face may bring about change here. Extreme embarrassment and extreme humiliation may help to bring about change here. It may lead to some Thais realization that this is not the greatest nation on earth, nor is it the center of the universe. Change here will never come about because it is the right thing to do, nor because the society evolves in an organic fashion over time. It is not an introspective enough society for change to happen on it's own. It will be forced upon the nation from outside.

At least that my opinion.

i believe law is law and police is right to take them. i am not sure why this is made a big deal.

rules says that you cannot play more than 120 cards if they dont have government stamp on this.

so, police just did its job by checking foreigners playing cards in sin city Pattaya. There were many instances in the past foreigners opening hidden gamble houses caught by the police.

moreover, you can also gamble with bridge! a simple search at google shows this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambling_3NT

so what?

But, they were not gambling. Even the police admitted that, and rather than just back down and apologize, which nearly any police department outside of Russia, N. Korea, Iran, Cuba, Saudi, or Yemen might have done, they pushed it too far, showing a tremendous lack of intelligence and judgment. How many Thais do you suppose have been charged under this law, where gambling was not involved?

so what?

But, they were not gambling. Even the police admitted that, and rather than just back down and apologize, which nearly any police department outside of Russia, N. Korea, Iran, Cuba, Saudi, or Yemen might have done, they pushed it too far, showing a tremendous lack of intelligence and judgment. How many Thais do you suppose have been charged under this law, where gambling was not involved?

every country has different laws, culture, tradition or rules or reaction.

you like them or not, if you are living here, it means you accepted them.

they pushed too far as you cannot understand if people were gambling or not just by looking for money at the tables. army was hard i believe same but you cannot criticize them just because they are following the law.

and i assume army/police thought like; if they allow this case and dont go hard and proactive on them and suddenly, you see 'Bridge' clubs mushrooming all over Thailand run by foreigners or thai and things go out of control.

Hope everyone who was arrested, gets a formal apology for all this nonsense.

This is no way to treat your ex-pat community. shame on you all. facepalm.gif

Amazing Thailand, one more home run !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the case does proceed to court and they get found guilty there will be nothing to apologise for! Even if they get off, the police/prosecution would rarely apologise for bringing the case to court.

so what?

every country has different laws, culture, tradition or rules or reaction.

you like them or not, if you are living here, it means you accepted them.

they pushed too far as you cannot understand if people were gambling or not just by looking for money at the tables. army was hard i believe same but you cannot criticize them just because they are following the law.

and i assume army/police thought like; if they allow this case and dont go hard and proactive on them and suddenly, you see 'Bridge' clubs mushrooming all over Thailand run by foreigners or thai and things go out of control.

But these are not rules. They are just making is up as they go along. This one has a distinctly anti-fareng tone to it. There is no law against playing bridge in Thailand. When they saw there was no money changing hands, they should have been men enough to admit their mistake, and remove the 50 man "SWAT" team. The shame that falls on the shoulders of the Pattaya police is astonishing. This act was beyond the pale. In card playing terms, to describe this as "overplaying your hand" would be the understatement of the century. The worldwide embarrassment the RTP has brought upon themselves is well deserved indeed.

Bridge has a special exemption under Thai law. It is not considered gambling. World wide, it is listed as a "Mind sport", much like chess. Not a single baht exchanges hands during these three weekly bridge sessions.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Playing-bridge-has-special-exemption-under-Thai-la-30278706.html

so what?

Elderly bridgeplayers caught, forced to 12 hours arrest, leave their passports and made to pay 5k!!!

If you think that is ok, you need to think about if planet earth is the right place for you!

I´ve been following these threads and even Swedish morning Tv had some reporting

Police or military aside, I think the saddest things are the posters, like you, that can not see beyond outdated laws!

I feel sorry for you and hope you return to your homecountries ASAP (Bet you know your own countries lawbooks by heart)

Amja

smell the reality?

reality bites people like you i guess yeah. but just at least you smell it a bit from a distance:

a group of foreigners caught playing a card game with unauthorized playing cards, you like it or not but this is the law.

moreover, theirs is not an official club and gamers, very well, can gamble playing 'Bridge'. Again, many instances, police found and raided gambling dens run by foreigners in Thailand. of course army or police whatever must have more important things to do and more important crimes to prevent or important fugitives to catch then going hard on soem elder people.

do i like the fact that they detained those elderly foreigners for 12 hours and made them pay 5000 thb? hell no and of course i dont feel good about it but laws are laws. if an elder person does something against the law in your home country, police will not be detaining them just because they are old?

and just wake up, it is not about we see through ancient laws or we like them or not.

it is all about if you are doing something, do it proper according to the laws, ancient or not, or they might get you arrested for 12 hours and let you pay 5000 thb.

you have to obey the laws here, you dont like the laws? go back to your home country because those ancient laws here will stay and it is not you to change them.

Again, an incorrect statement. Bridge is not against Thai law. There is an exception. So the police were wrong, and an apology is in order.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Playing-bridge-has-special-exemption-under-Thai-la-30278706.html

For once I think the Pattaya Police deserve a bit of praise. A raid led by the District officers. Police wanting to dismiss it after the intervention of the President of the Bridge Leauge. District officers still insisting. Police superintendant will not pass the case to the prosecutors without a direct order from above.

Sounds like the Head of the District office is the one we shoudl be looking at.

so what?

Amja

smell the reality?

I notice you have only been a member of TV a few days,may I for one welcome you to Thai visa,as we need someone with your experiance.

HERE ARE SOME FACTS.

1. Neither the police nor the army raided the club. The raid was conducted by DOPA.

2. They were there after false allegations of gambling (and only gambling) were made to the Office of the Prime Minister.

3. All charges of gambling have been dropped.

4. Club members will NOT be going to court

5. The Pattaya Bridge Club is a member of the Thailand Bridge League. Thailand first played in the World Championships in 1966 and many overseas players come to play in a large tournament in Bangkok every year.

6. Charges of "illegal premises" have been dropped

7. The case against the bridge players is being wound up; passports and the 5,000b bail will be returned

8. Clutching at straws, officials have gone for the 1943 Playing Cards Act -
http://www.thailawforum.com/laws/Playing%20cards.pdf - in an attempt to charge club manager Jeremy Watson

9. Many posts regarding that act are profoundly ignorant; the matter is not so clear as some may think.

10. See Sect. 8 of the Act.

- What is meant by "individual" and "possess"?

- Visitors to the club buy packs cards overseas and leave them at the club. Who is the "individual" who "possesses" these cards? Show me the law that says so.

- Thai legislation classifies bridge not as a "game" but a "mind sport". Does the Playing Cards Act apply to a "mind sport"? Show me the law that says so.

Lawyers are examining those matters and many more.

Good post it encapsulates the issues that a lot of people here have misunderstood.

You might also have added that, in relation to any matters outstanding against Mr Watson, the statutory provisions that have been quoted here are translations. I would be far more confident of predicting an outcome to these issues if I could see (and understand) the original Thai. I am not sure whether Thailand publishesexplanatory material that accompanies the legislation such as the speeches, memorandum or Press Releases. These may provide a better understanding of the possible outcome

HERE ARE SOME FACTS.

1. Neither the police nor the army raided the club. The raid was conducted by DOPA.

2. They were there after false allegations of gambling (and only gambling) were made to the Office of the Prime Minister.

5. The Pattaya Bridge Club is a member of the Thailand Bridge League. Thailand first played in the World Championships in 1966 and many overseas players come to play in a large tournament in Bangkok every year.

7. The case against the bridge players is being wound up; passports and the 5,000b bail will be returned

http://www.thailawforum.com/laws/Playing%20cards.pdf - in an attempt to charge club manager Jeremy Watson

9. Many posts regarding that act are profoundly ignorant; the matter is not so clear as some may think.

- Visitors to the club buy packs cards overseas and leave them at the club. Who is the "individual" who "possesses" these cards? Show me the law that says so.

- Thai legislation classifies bridge not as a "game" but a "mind sport". Does the Playing Cards Act apply to a "mind sport"? Show me the law that says so.

HERE ARE SOME FACTS.

Great news if sense has prevailed and it's not going to court.

HERE ARE SOME FACTS.

i like what you had to say here. So I tried with my limited search skills to find out more about what you stated.

But for the life of me my searchs came up empty.Perhaps it isnot on the internet yet.

If it is on the internet could you please tell me where so I can read all about it.

All I can find is the cases against the bridge players cannot find where they dropped the charges.

your help in pointing me in the right direction would greatly be appreciated.

I will give you an advanced thank you for assisting me with this.

so what?

Amja

...a group of foreigners caught playing a card game with unauthorized playing cards, you like it or not but this is the law....

Again, an incorrect statement. Bridge is not against Thai law. There is an exception. So the police were wrong, and an apology is in order.

nay. i said playing bridge (or any card game) with unauthorized playing cards which is not legal.

i like what you had to say here. So I tried with my limited search skills to find out more about what you stated.

But for the life of me my searchs came up empty.Perhaps it isnot on the internet yet.

If it is on the internet could you please tell me where so I can read all about it.

All I can find is the cases against the bridge players cannot find where they dropped the charges.

your help in pointing me in the right direction would greatly be appreciated.

I will give you an advanced thank you for assisting me with this.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/31137089/western-retirees-at-thai-resort-busted-for-playing-bridge

As well, I am one of the bridge players. I attended the police station, along with all other players on Sun/Mon, to receive an apology. We will be refunded the 5,000b and have passports returned when the court paperwork is undone.

Archived