Democratic race down to just two: Clinton, Sanders face off

webfact

Democratic race down to just two: Clinton, Sanders face off
By NANCY BENAC and LISA LERER

DURHAM, N.H. (AP) — Their race newly energized, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders head into the first one-on-one debate of the Democratic presidential contest Thursday night in a tussle over their very political identities.

The two candidates are sparring over who is the best standard-bearer for progressive values — and who can actually deliver on a liberal agenda of providing universal health care access, reducing income inequality, protecting worker rights and more.

"Good ideas on paper are important, but you've got to be able to translate them into action," Clinton declared on the eve of the debate.

Sanders, for his part, said Clinton's record is "just not progressive" on any number of issues, given her vote as a senator to authorize the war in Iraq and her campaign's reliance on money from Wall Street and drug companies.

The race for the Democratic nomination, once seen as a sure thing for Clinton, intensified this week after Sanders held the former secretary of state to a whisper-thin margin of victory in Iowa's leadoff caucuses. The tone of their back-and-forth has become increasingly sharp, and the candidates agreed to add four more debates to the primary season schedule, including Thursday's faceoff in Durham.

The debate is the last before Tuesday's first-in-the-nation New Hampshire primary, and Sanders holds a big lead in polls in the state.

In fresh evidence of the tightening race, Clinton reported that her campaign had raised $15 million in January — $5 million less than Sanders and the first time she's been outraised by her opponent. Her finance director called the numbers "a very loud wake-up call" in a fundraising email to supporters.

Heading into the debate, Sanders was eager to lower expectations for his finish in New Hampshire, casting himself as an underdog against "the most powerful political organization in the country."

Clinton, for her part, signaled her determination to at least narrow the gap before Tuesday's vote in the state where her husband in 1992 placed second and styled himself the "Comeback Kid." Her prospects are much stronger in primaries and caucuses after New Hampshire, as the race moves on to states with more diverse electorates that are to her advantage.

The two campaigns have even skirmished this week over why Sanders is doing so well in New Hampshire polls. His campaign accused Clinton's of insulting New Hampshire voters by suggesting they only support the Vermont senator because he's from a neighboring state. That was after Clinton's campaign manager referred to New Hampshire as Sanders' "backyard."

Clinton's campaign also criticized Sanders' camp for what it said were misleading ads that suggest the senator received the endorsement of two newspapers that have not backed his bid for the White House. Sanders countered that the ads didn't say he'd been endorsed but merely passed along "nice" words the newspapers had written about him.

On a broader issue, Clinton offers herself to voters as "a progressive who gets things done," part of her pitch that she's the one with the practical skills to implement a progressive agenda.

Sanders' counter-argument is that it will take a "political revolution" to achieve goals such as universal health care, a fairer tax system and an incorruptible campaign finance system.

Asked this week if Clinton is a progressive, he said: "Some days, yes. Except when she announces that she is a proud moderate. Then I guess she is not a progressive."

Sanders added that it is hard to take on the establishment "when you become as dependent as she has through her super PAC and in other ways on Wall Street or drug company money."

The Durham debate will be the first faceoff for Clinton and Sanders since former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley dropped out of the race after a poor showing in Iowa.

Clinton's razor-thin win in Iowa was the latest twist in an election campaign that, until recently, had been dominated by the crowded and cacophonous Republican contest. GOP candidates, who debate again Saturday, were all over New Hampshire ahead of the primary.

Donald Trump, who finished second in the Iowa caucuses, took fresh aim Wednesday at caucus winner Ted Cruz, the firebrand Texas senator who appears to be running behind in the Granite State and is hoping for momentum to carry him into South Carolina later this month.

For other Republicans such as former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, New Hampshire may be their last stand as they try to chisel establishment support away from Florida's junior Sen. Marco Rubio, who finished a strong third in Iowa.
___

Associated Press reporter Scott Bauer contributed from Madison.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-05

Fireworks fly as Clinton, Sanders square off face to face
By NANCY BENAC and LISA LERER

DURHAM, N.H. (AP) — Fireworks flying in their first one-on-one debate, Hillary Clinton accused Bernie Sanders Thursday night of subjecting her to an "artful smear" while Sanders suggested the former secretary of state was a captive of the political establishment.

The two Democrats kept up a markedly more contentious tone than when they last debated before the presidential voting in Iowa, and it signaled how the race for the nomination has tightened five days ahead of the first-in-the-nation primary in New Hampshire next Tuesday.

The two argued over ideas, over tactics and over who has the liberal credentials to deliver on an agenda of better access to health care, more affordable college, dealing with income inequality and more.

It was Clinton who was the main aggressor, saying Sanders could never achieve his ambitious and costly proposals. Then she took after the Vermont senator for his efforts to cast her as beholden to Wall Street interests because of the campaign donations and speaking fees she's accepted from the financial sector.

"It's time to end the very artful smear that you and your campaign have been carrying out," she said.

Sanders, for his part, suggested her loyalties were colored by a reliance on big corporate donors.

"Secretary Clinton does represent the establishment," he said. "I represent — I hope — ordinary Americans."

Clinton may say the right things, he suggested, but "one of the things we should do is not only talk the talk but walk the walk."

Where Clinton aimed considerable criticism at Sanders, the Vermont senator focused much of his fire on what he says is a political system rigged against ordinary Americans.

He said that when a "kid gets caught with marijuana, that kid has a police record." But when "a Wall Street executive destroys the economy" and pays a $5 billion settlement, he has "no criminal record."

"That is what power is about, that is what corruption is about. And that is what has to change in the United States of America," he said.

Clinton, unwilling to cede the issue to Sanders, insisted her regulatory policies would be tougher on Wall Street than his.

"I've got their number," she said, "the Wall Street guys."

Clinton called Sanders' sweeping proposals on health care and education "just not achievable," while Sanders countered that Clinton was willing to settle for less than Americans deserve.

"I do not accept the belief that the United States of America can't do that," Sanders said of his plan for universal health care and of his efforts to take on "the rip-offs of the pharmaceutical industry."

The race for the Democratic nomination, once seen as a sure thing for Clinton, intensified this week after Sanders held the former secretary of state to a whisper-thin margin of victory in Iowa's leadoff caucuses. The tone of their back-and-forth has become increasingly sharp, and the candidates agreed to add four more debates to the primary season schedule, including Thursday's faceoff in Durham.

In fresh evidence of the tightening race, Clinton reported that her campaign had raised $15 million in January — $5 million less than Sanders and the first time she's been outraised by her opponent. Her finance director called the numbers "a very loud wake-up call" in a fundraising email to supporters.

Sanders has a big lead in New Hampshire polls, but he was eager to lower expectations for his finish there, casting himself as an underdog.

Clinton, for her part, signaled her determination to at least narrow the gap before Tuesday's vote in the state where she defeated Barack Obama in 2008 before ultimately losing the nomination to him. Her prospects are much stronger in primaries and caucuses after New Hampshire, as the race moves on to states with more diverse electorates that are to her advantage.

The two renewed their running debate over who is the real progressive, with Sanders repeating his call for a political revolution in which political contributions have less influence over policy decisions.

Clinton, in turn, accused her rival of quoting her selectively to diminish her progressive credentials.

"Let's not be, in an unfair way, making an accusation or making an attack about where I stand and where I've always stood," she declared.

Clinton's campaign also criticized Sanders' camp for what it said were misleading ads that suggest he received the endorsement of two newspapers that have not backed his bid for the White House. Sanders countered that the ads didn't say he'd been endorsed but merely passed along "nice" words the newspapers had written about him.

The Durham debate was the first faceoff for Clinton and Sanders since former Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley dropped out of the race after a poor showing in Iowa.

Clinton's razor-thin win in Iowa was the latest twist in an election campaign that, until recently, had been dominated by the crowded and cacophonous field of Republicans, who spread out across New Hampshire this week.

Donald Trump, who finished second in Iowa, stepped up the pace of his campaign and acknowledged he should have had a stronger ground operation in Iowa. Jeb Bush, his campaign lagging, brought in his mom, former first lady Barbara Bush, who praised him as "decent and honest and everything we need in a president."
___

Benac reported from Washington. Associated Press writer Scott Bauer contributed from Madison, Wisconsin.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-02-05

Where Clinton aimed considerable criticism at Sanders, the Vermont senator focused much of his fire on what he says is a political system rigged against ordinary Americans.

He said that when a "kid gets caught with marijuana, that kid has a police record." But when "a Wall Street executive destroys the economy" and pays a $5 billion settlement, he has "no criminal record."

"That is what power is about, that is what corruption is about. And that is what has to change in the United States of America," he said.

Clinton, unwilling to cede the issue to Sanders, insisted her regulatory policies would be tougher on Wall Street than his.

Nobody doubts her final statement. She's probably got their number on speed dial.

Is it just me but she is such an abrasive speaker. Bill sits in the background with a smile on his face but I wonder what he is thinking. I got it!! he is thinking suffer folks this is what I have had to endure for years. Bet Monica is still on his personal Christmas card list. They rather remind me of the presidential family in the series Scandal.

Edited by elgordo38

Actually Sanders out polls Hillary against all of the clown/buffoon bus. None of that batshit crazy bunch will win the presidency, and as bad as Hillary would be they would be 100 times worse. America is a SECULAR nation, not a theocracy.

Nobody doubts her final statement. She's probably got their number on speed dial.

indeed, need more money

It bothers me a bit to see the 2 of them attacking each other. I like both of them and actually, they like each other. It's the game of politics which compels them to try to smear each other. It will be more fun watching the Rep choice debating the Dem choice. The Dem choice won't have to change his/her stance on policies. In contrast, the Rep choice will have to change considerably. Currently, during the primaries, the Reps are vying to project themselves as more conservative right-wing, rich-protecting than the other. As soon as a Rep candidate gets the nod, he will drastically change his tune to try and appeal to the other 85% of Americans. By then, it will be too late, and he'll lose.

Edited by boomerangutang

It bothers me a bit to see the 2 of them attacking each other. I like both of them and actually, they like each other. It's the game of politics which compels them to try to smear each other. It will be more fun watching the Rep choice debating the Dem choice. The Dem choice won't have to change his/her stance on policies. In contrast, the Rep choice will have to change considerably. Currently, during the primaries, the Reps are vying to project themselves as more conservative right-wing, rich-protecting than the other. As soon as a Rep candidate gets the nod, he will drastically change his tune to try and appeal to the other 85% of Americans. By then, it will be too late, and he'll lose.

I wouldn't call that "attacking".

They are entitled to criticise each others' positions in an impartial manner and did so.

Light years away from the incessant Republican carping, made infinitely worse by Trump the Chump, for whom it is his primary debate tool.

This was indeed an exchange of views as Bernie and Hillary each defended themselves. And no one cares about Faux.

Anyone who wants attacks already tunes in to the loony tunes Republican debates where Trump verbally runs everyone out and where they have a boy in a bubble being charged by a psychopath doctor with a knife looked on by a low energy person slouched alongside a loud guy from Canada in black ostrich skin cowboy boots who says The Donald is "losing it" upstairs and emotionally then a fat guy with the microphone tells a voter to sit down and shut up etc etc.

Bring back Rick Perry.

Go Hillary! As we feel the Bern!

Edited by Publicus

Fox News must not have carried Hillary's attack on Bernie that drew boos from the audience.

You're honestly comparing this:

“I think it’s time to end the artful smear that you and your campaign have been carrying out in recent weeks and let’s talk about the issues that divide us,” Clinton said, evoking boos from the crowd gathered to watch the contest at the University of New Hampshire.

With the hectoring in the GOP race?

blink.png

Fox News must not have carried Hillary's attack on Bernie that drew boos from the audience.

“I think it’s time to end the artful smear that you and your campaign have been carrying out in recent weeks and let’s talk about the issues that divide us,” Clinton said, evoking boos from the crowd gathered to watch the contest at the University of New Hampshire.

blink.png

Yep. It looks rather calm in the written word, without the obvious anger and fake outrage. Nice try.

Check at about the 4 minute mark. Hillary gets downright nasty. At least she isn't cursing him out, as she allegedly does quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le5V0GAEb-8

blink.png

Yep. It looks rather calm in the written word, without the obvious anger and fake outrage. Nice try.

Check at about the 4 minute mark. Hillary gets downright nasty. At least she isn't cursing him out, as she allegedly does quite often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le5V0GAEb-8

I think you've got your Republican-coloured glasses on there Chuck.

Have some fun watching this spitefulness, edited by liberals of course, I don't think the GOP like to see this type of sniping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMYQs521Qp4

"Democratic race down to just two: Clinton, Sanders face off"

If this is a race it must be with wheelchairs. It's the crooked and fat old Bill Clinton reject battling an old puny retirement home reject. I'm jealous of all of the lucky people who've never heard of those two.

If this is a race it must be with wheelchairs. It's the crooked and fat old Bill Clinton reject battling an old puny retirement home reject. I'm jealous of all of the lucky people who've never heard of those two.

Some people don't age well. Mitt Romney is the same age as Hilary, but he has never had a smoke or drink, so clean living (even if misguided) I guess pays. tongue.png

Some people don't age well. Mitt Romney is the same age as Hilary, but he has never had a smoke or drink, so clean living (even if misguided) I guess pays. tongue.png

Neither has been elected potus.

Romney with his silver hair at the temples still could not manage it and he won't get another go. HR Clinton is in the process of showing how it gets done and by a woman.

Ronald Reagan made a point during a televised national debate not to hold the other guy in disregard due to the guy's lack of age or experience.

Bernie Sanders has won the focus of many younger Americans and will continue to speak for them and more of 'em going forward. An heir(s) will emerge sooner rather than later.

HR Clinton has the broader and comprehensive appeal however which is why she remains the odds-on favorite in November.

Oh, those Clintons!

In the Iowa Democratic party’s chaotic attempt to report caucus results on Monday night, the results in at least one precinct were unilaterally changed by the party

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/feb/05/iowa-democratic-party-altered-precinct-caucus-results-clinton-sanders

can't organize a proper election