Tesco Lotus "10x Refund Policy"

UTH001

Over the last year and a half or so, I have noticed six times (and probably a few times I did not notice...) that the price of items at check-out varies from the price stated on the shelf (TESCO Lotus Extra). I generally noticed this at check-out (these days, I keep my eagle eyes on the display) or later, when I checked the slip. But like I said, there were probably times I did not notice and paid more than I should have, which is something I don't like.

A few days ago, I bought wine at the above store. And again, someone forgot to tell the little man inside the cashiering system that the price had changed. THB 130 "changed", per bottle! Which at 5 bottles of wine work out to THB 650.

I hit the roof and the price got adjusted at check-out, no apology, no nothing. I asked to speak to the store manager, and got the usual 'sorry sorry sorry'.

I then wrote to TESCO Lotus in BKK and was informed as follows:

"Due to our very frequent promotions which lower the prices of our products, our IT system sometimes fails us. That's why we have put in place a 10x refund policy as a way to make it up to our customers, while we try to fix the cause of the problem".

In the above case, the amount of the 10x Return Policy would have amounted to THB 6,500. But I am sure you guessed it, there is 'small print', the "10x Return Policy" is limited to THB 1,000. And because I complained at the check-out, no such "10x Return Policy" is offered as the mistake was corrected at check-out (due to me complaining, not exactly due to TESCO Lotus staff noticing!).

In future (I am sure, this will happen again, of course), I will pay the correct amount and then get the "10x Refund Policy" amount at Customer (No) Care. But as more customers know about this policy, I guess TESCO Lotus will stop that policy soon too!

Shopping in Thailand is such a pleasure!

I hit the roof and the price got adjusted at check-out, no apology, no nothing. I asked to speak to the store manager, and got the usual 'sorry sorry sorry'.

I suspect that there was no need to "hit the roof" to get the price adjusted.

And, "sorry, sorry, sorry" sounds like an apology to me.

I have had this happen a few times, the ticket price is not the charged price and when pointed out its corrected promptly BUT I never ever hear or see a Thai complaining about it and I suspect they know that and given that Thais wont say anything (generally) they use it to their advantage. I would bet that its only "farangs" in 99% of instances that do the complaining etc and thats why they can offer the 10x as it just wont happen with a Thai, which is the majority of their customers.

A bottle of wine for 130 baht seems pretty cheap. What was it ?

Reminds me that a few weeks ago our nearest mini Tesco had bottles of Australian Cask 88 for 149 baht and very nice it was too for the price.( bought 3 bottles ). However , at the big Tesco up the road the same stuff was 249 so clearly a mistake somewhere.

Like big C they used to give you one item for free if it was the wrong price at the till, they both stopped that soon enough and now just give it you at the price on the shelf. Never seems to happen in tesco back i the UK for some reason, it's not the iT system it's the workers who have not gotten around to changing the shelf prices. Last time I bought wine at tesco it was, for once, actually cheaper than the shelf price.

What I hate is their attitude when you complain, it's never their fault and they go from denial to blaming the customer (changed labels) to in the end a grudging acceptance. I have known them to go to the shelf, change the cost to the higher price then deny it was ever lower!

Edited by jacky54

A bottle of wine for 130 baht seems pretty cheap. What was it ?

Reminds me that a few weeks ago our nearest mini Tesco had bottles of Australian Cask 88 for 149 baht and very nice it was too for the price.( bought 3 bottles ). However , at the big Tesco up the road the same stuff was 249 so clearly a mistake somewhere.

It was HARDYs Classic Red, a decent enough table wine, listed on the shelf for THB 269 but at check-out THB 399 (therefore the difference of THB130 each). And these "mistakes" happen quite often at that particular store (to me now six times, reason me hitting the roof, not surprisingly?), never received any of that "10x Refund Policy", of course. And I guess I never will, there will always be some story as to 'why not'...

I don't go to Tesco or Tops very often but even with my infrequent visits I have been charged the wrong price and not in my favour either. Is it just honest mistakes made by the supermarket staff or a policy to boost the stores numbers to hit some target when the pressure is on?

It's a bit of a generalisation but a lot of locals are not very good at mental arithmatic. Do the supermarkets rely on this that some customers can't work out if they have been charged too much? This equally applies to the staff, they are not great at maths or the attention to detail required in store with thousands of products. Also it's possible that the wages paid do not encourage the staff to get the store running as slick as it could?

I don't go to Tesco or Tops very often but even with my infrequent visits I have been charged the wrong price and not in my favour either. Is it just honest mistakes made by the supermarket staff or a policy to boost the stores numbers to hit some target when the pressure is on?

It's a bit of a generalisation but a lot of locals are not very good at mental arithmatic. Do the supermarkets rely on this that some customers can't work out if they have been charged too much? This equally applies to the staff, they are not great at maths or the attention to detail required in store with thousands of products. Also it's possible that the wages paid do not encourage the staff to get the store running as slick as it could?

my local tesco express keeps its staff longer than all other service type businesses i frequent. years as opposed to months. oh and they still get the prices wrong frequently between the shelf and the checkout - always not in my favour.