Why Thais choose to live poor?

They use the bum gun….that's plenty sophisticated….even more than the first world.

Is Japan classed as first world ?

I remember back in the day, when the Japanese automatic bidets were first on the scene; breakfast in a hotel in Nishiwaki, a co-worker hurried to the breakfast table and and all of a fluster informed me..."don't whatever you do press the pink button...it washes ur balls"

And this is a post coming from a member who critised falang for bragging and looking down on the poor Thais...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893041-foreigners-who-brag-about-their-status-in-thailand/#entry10396821

What a contradiction...

You have a dishwasher. So what? The average Thai doesn't have one. So what?

Thanks for posting the link.... because it proves that you may have some basic comprehension issues.

I have comprehension issues?! Ha! Ha! Ha! Seldom have I laughed so much. A bloke who contradicts himself in two seperate posts thinks I have issues! Lol! Lol!

You need to get yourself a hobby or a life or both.

Enjoy being miserable with your dishwasher.

And this is a post coming from a member who critised falang for bragging and looking down on the poor Thais...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/893041-foreigners-who-brag-about-their-status-in-thailand/#entry10396821

What a contradiction...

You have a dishwasher. So what? The average Thai doesn't have one. So what?

Thanks for posting the link.... because it proves that you may have some basic comprehension issues.

I have comprehension issues?! Ha! Ha! Ha! Seldom have I laughed so much. A bloke who contradicts himself in two seperate posts thinks I have issues! Lol! Lol!

You need to get yourself a hobby or a life or both.

Enjoy being miserable with your dishwasher.

?

I think some content with their lot and feel it's not needed....In other ways they are locked in and happy without sophistication.....They are not collectors/needers? in our western sense....In many ways more grounded.....

Others shop at their local weekly markets and don't get too far beyond that....The local hardware store in most cases is not going to have a western toilet and the other type never break.....If they leak - who knows - there's water splashed everywhere - you'd have to hook up a water line for the flush which some might see as wasting water.....Cold water bathing is refreshing to them in hot weather....

My IL's have one of the biggest houses in the area at about guess-timating 4,000sf - Sparse in furnishings....They had a western toilet but small & the ballcock/float had failed....We put in a new larger one both for them and to make our visits a bit more modern.....No hot water and they dip bathed keeping water in a large open topped 3'x7'x4' tank that they keep filled....We put a shower head in but FIL still uses the hand bucket.....They like the warm showers here but it's going to take an electrical upgrade to install one for them.....

We bought a new stainless steel fridge + a stainless steel sink and counter which finished off an good functional indoor kitchen for them to use and the MIL loved the conveinience for years.....

One nice step forward .....

Well → almost.....

Last time down the 3 point kitchen was history.....The stove and shelves/cupboards/utensils/supplies had all been moved to an un-enclosed outbuilding where they prepare/cook and eat while sitting on a platform - flies/dirt/weather/whatever.....The fridge - dining table/chairs & sink are still inside → with their bed/platform in between the fridge and sink....!?!?!?.....

They semi moved their kitchen outside to make a kitchen/bedroom....

Bear in mind the lower level is huge - one small TV - one wooden natural tree/couch that takes 4 of us to move - moveable wooden shelves and closets that constitute walls....I've seen well over 20 relatives sleep down there with enough room for another 20 - open like a dance floor.....Yet they moved a larger than kingsize platform to the "kitchen" to make a bedroom.....

There's only the 2 of them there except when BIL and family/4 visit on the weekends to check in & socialize.....

Sometimes I don't understand it either.....

But - they are some of the most squared away and happiest people I've ever known.....

One concept that might come into play....

As my wife was growing up one lesson they taught her was → Don't spend/waste your money on big things - save it for food.....And - she is frugal.....

Thais are very much "collectors/needers". I haven't meet a nation of people that have more cravings for "stuff" than thais have.

I would ask why so many in the west feel they need so much? Why are we so attached to things and have so much fear and anxiety about losing such things? Seems they got it right and we got it wrong.

I think your generalization is false. I have seen many throughout both sides of the world who are polar opposite to your conclusion. I know that we have dramatically downsized in our homes and life, both here and back in the US. Meanwhile, a number of Thai relatives absolutely refuse to get ride of their junk and it just continues to grow and expand.

I think some content with their lot and feel it's not needed....In other ways they are locked in and happy without sophistication.....They are not collectors/needers? in our western sense....In many ways more grounded.....

Others shop at their local weekly markets and don't get too far beyond that....The local hardware store in most cases is not going to have a western toilet and the other type never break.....If they leak - who knows - there's water splashed everywhere - you'd have to hook up a water line for the flush which some might see as wasting water.....Cold water bathing is refreshing to them in hot weather....

My IL's have one of the biggest houses in the area at about guess-timating 4,000sf - Sparse in furnishings....They had a western toilet but small & the ballcock/float had failed....We put in a new larger one both for them and to make our visits a bit more modern.....No hot water and they dip bathed keeping water in a large open topped 3'x7'x4' tank that they keep filled....We put a shower head in but FIL still uses the hand bucket.....They like the warm showers here but it's going to take an electrical upgrade to install one for them.....

We bought a new stainless steel fridge + a stainless steel sink and counter which finished off an good functional indoor kitchen for them to use and the MIL loved the conveinience for years.....

One nice step forward .....

Well → almost.....

Last time down the 3 point kitchen was history.....The stove and shelves/cupboards/utensils/supplies had all been moved to an un-enclosed outbuilding where they prepare/cook and eat while sitting on a platform - flies/dirt/weather/whatever.....The fridge - dining table/chairs & sink are still inside → with their bed/platform in between the fridge and sink....!?!?!?.....

They semi moved their kitchen outside to make a kitchen/bedroom....

Bear in mind the lower level is huge - one small TV - one wooden natural tree/couch that takes 4 of us to move - moveable wooden shelves and closets that constitute walls....I've seen well over 20 relatives sleep down there with enough room for another 20 - open like a dance floor.....Yet they moved a larger than kingsize platform to the "kitchen" to make a bedroom.....

There's only the 2 of them there except when BIL and family/4 visit on the weekends to check in & socialize.....

Sometimes I don't understand it either.....

But - they are some of the most squared away and happiest people I've ever known.....

One concept that might come into play....

As my wife was growing up one lesson they taught her was → Don't spend/waste your money on big things - save it for food.....And - she is frugal.....

Thais are very much "collectors/needers". I haven't meet a nation of people that have more cravings for "stuff" than thais have.

I find the Thais see a value in everything - can be repaired or reused....I don't see them loaded down with or displaying "stuff"....In the US most everyone has to park their cars outside because their garages are filled with "stuff"....Some need to use outside storage facilities.....In the PI houses are crammed with stuff/display too..... Edited by pgrahmm