PEA Power Outages and Interuptions.

LivinginKata

This is a rant ...

I've had it with the very poor power supply here in Kata. Been really bad for years. But it's becoming worse ...

Just today before 10.00 the power off/on, then just about 10.00 off for almost 2 hours. Back on about 16.00, then off 17.o0 for over 30 minues. And this is a high volume tourist area.

2 nights ago power off about 01.00, not come back until 07.30.

We expect blown HV fuses at transformers on a regular basis, like more than once each month, often up to 4 times a month.

Our road in Kata has a number of good quality condo buildings each with own transformers. iIquestioned the quality of the PEA electricity installation 8 years ago when we built. One of our phases had a flickering supply, We complained to PEA and they came, looked, and said it must be our installation. Took 3 years before the HV cable to an insulator into the transformer just broke off. PEA repaired and our flicker problem went away.

Just last year a main HV cable past our homes just broke off at a 3 way junction fitting, leaving a live HV cable sparking on the road for 2 hours before PEA came and turned off the electric supply.

We endured day long power outs while PEA built the sub-station at our road end, when finished last year we thought that would be the end of our power out problems. But ... it's gotten worse.

Rant over - no replies necessary ....

Its only going to get worse as they move the poles to accomodate the Chalong tunnel. The power that feeds the Kata substation on Patak comes via the substation in Chalong just before TOT headed south so expect more and more interuptions.

It never gets better as the years go on.

Bad again this morning. Bedroom aircon not happy about 04.30, fan speed down and then up. Could not sleep, so downstairs about 05.15. Both UPS alarms on. Switch off. Lights very dim and fluctuating, same with fan speed,slow to almost stop. I phone electric company, expalin the location and problem in my poor Thai.

No improvement so get the wife to call after 08.00. Guy says no-one phoned in a problem and he would send the engineer soon. Little orange truck turns up about 09.15 and he makes a visual inspection of the overhead lines down our street and side streets then it disappears. 10.20 I go look for him, see him coming back into our street and I talk to him, he says they are searching for the problem. So more than 6 hours now and no progress - sigh sigh

Yesterday afternoon, 1:30ish in Rawai, the power went out, came back on rather quickly two or three times.

On a different note, I notice the transformer circuits seem to blow after a good rain. You probably have so many of those, they have to figure out which one blew, the old "needle in the haystack".

Lastly, I understand backup generators are pretty expensive.

Just to round off today's electric saga .... full power resumed at 12.30 ... so 8 hours with inadequate home power supply.

Back-up generator not an option for our building given 20 aircon units + + Would need a big unit taking up a car park bay. I have seriously thought about it, even costed, then rejected the idea ...

• 2 months later...

Here we go again .... 09.30 power off. Now 16.40 and power still off, What is the PEA thinking. Not really acceptable,

Saw them working on the lines near the new sub-station this afternoon. Is it back yet?

Came on about 18.03 - later than the expected 17.00