Support Visa To Retirement Visa?

I have a problem and would appreciate any advice or information from members of the forum. I currently live in Thailand and have been married to a Thai National for almost four years now. I was legally married in Thailand. Unfortuanately, the marriage is failing, solely because of laao kaao.

Next month, I am due to renew my support visa. However, my wife refuses to accompany me to Bangkok Immigration to sign the necessary documentation to extend my visa. I would prefer not to go through a divorce at the local Amper, as she will only consent to a divorce if I give her half the funds that I currently have in a Thai bank. I have already purchased land and constructed a house for her. I am eligable, both financially and age-wise, for a retirement visa.

My question is; is it possible to convert a support visa to a retirement visa at Bangkok Immigration without documentation of a divorce? I would appreciate any advice or information from members of the forum. Thank you.

It is not possible without the wife signing off. If the wife will sign it is not a problem but they will insist on the wife signing first.

I believe your wife is asking what is normal - this is a joint property system so half of bank deposits should be regarded as hers.

Renang ...........the solution is very simple......do not renew your marriage visa next month, leave the country go to laos and come back with a 3 month non immigration visa type O, this visa you will get in laos without problem only you show your marriage certifikat

after 3 month you go to immigration and you make your retirement (800 000) visa without help of your wife :o

It is not possible without the wife signing off. If the wife will sign it is not a problem but they will insist on the wife signing first.

I believe your wife is asking what is normal - this is a joint property system so half of bank deposits should be regarded as hers.

Reang, sorry to hear about your problems. Do you have a solicitor to help you out? Sounds like you may need it before you do anything - or sign anything. This sounds like it could get messy.

I am also bemused to learn yet another little known fact that is the treacle of Thailand visa laws.

Next year I was considering switching to a retirement visa from a marriage extension, not because of being in an unfortunate situation like Reang (yet?), but because it seemed less hassle.

When would my wife have to sign a piece of paper - when I go to renew/change type visa next year?

Not if he still has a wife. If you are married the wife must sign off her knowledge of your visa status.

If he lets the visa expire, its not a change. He is just applying under a new extension of stay with a new visa( obtained at a Embassy/Consulate).

Call us Reang, if you have complications.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

When you go to change they will ask your wife to sign a paper acknowledging that she understands your new visa status. I did last year and did not know this so arrived without the wife (who was ill). Although they were very nice about it there was no way they would approve without her signature and they even refunded my (non refundable) 1,900 baht so that I could make a new application with her present.

Not if he still has a wife. If you are married the wife must sign off her knowledge of your visa status.

If he lets the visa expire, its not a change. He is just applying under a new extension of stay with a new visa( obtained at a Embassy/Consulate).

Call us Reang, if you have complications.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

I believe one of the first questions asked of some is "are you married" from other reports and if so they ask the wife to sign off. Perhaps this is officer to officer but have read people saying it happened. As his passport will show the previous status believe questions would be asked and if not noticed there they now seem to enter information into computer immediately (at least in Bangkok) and that might cause a red flag. But suspect you may have had others in this boat and no questions asked? Perhaps one of the advantages of having a lawyer present?

When you go to change they will ask your wife to sign a paper acknowledging that she understands your new visa status. I did last year and did not know this so arrived without the wife (who was ill). Although they were very nice about it there was no way they would approve without her signature and they even refunded my (non refundable) 1,900 baht so that I could make a new application with her present.

You are 100% correct if you are doing a change of a extension of stay.

But in this case, if he lets it expire. The old visa is based on marriage is no longer valid. He now gets a new visa and new application. He cannot be judged on the old expired extension of stay.

We have argued this point before and won, when the wife left without saying good-bye. She was no where to be found but as we argued it didn't matter. It was a new application, not a change of visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

But in this case, if he lets it expire. The old visa is based on marriage is no longer valid. He now gets a new visa and new application. He cannot be judged on the old expired extension of stay.

We have argued this point before and won, when the wife left without saying good-bye. She was no where to be found but as we argued it didn't matter. It was a new application, not a change of visa.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

In relation to eventually applying for PR.

If I go to change my current (4th) marriage extension next year to a retirments visa -a few days before it it runs out and my wife signs the form - does it mean the requirement for the PR will still be intact ie I then have 4 years of continuous extensions and the retirement visa will be the 5th.

Is it the same if I go when the visa has expired and she is not around to sign and I start a 'new' visa, is this year 1 then in PR requirement terms.

Sorry its badly worded, but you know what I mean.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If I go to change my current (4th) marriage extension next year to a retirments visa -a few days before it it runs out and my wife signs the form - does it mean the requirement for the PR will still be intact ie I then have 4 years of continuous extensions and the retirement visa will be the 5th.

Is it the same if I go when the visa has expired and she is not around to sign and I start a 'new' visa, is this year 1 then in PR requirement terms.

Lopburi is correct. You cannot get a PR with a extension of stay based on retirement.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Lopburi is correct. You cannot get a PR with a extension of stay based on retirement.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

Does that mean you can get PR on the grounds of supporting a spouse or child extention?

I am in pretty much the same boat. I am 55 yo. & been living here for around 10 years on spouse visa. How hard is it to convert to retirement visa?

As for PR I don't think any of us are on "Premanant Residence" as I assume this to stand for. If you are too lazy to type I feel sorry for you.

I assume the retitrement visa is one year renewable based upon our ability to jump through whatever hoops or hosts choose to erect.

PR would not be likely for anyone not working with a record of tax payments - but there are always exceptions so nobody can be ruled out - except perhaps those here on retirement extensions of stay.

To change from wife extension to retirement requires the wife to sign off her knowledge of the change (if you go direct - if you wait and start anew Sunbelt has advised she would not be required). The money 800k in bank account 3 months and passbook/copies, bank letter, TM.7 with photo and 1,900 baht, passport with copies of front and visa/extensions pages. That's it and extension is granted same day.

PR would not be likely for anyone not working with a record of tax payments - but there are always exceptions so nobody can be ruled out - except perhaps those here on retirement extensions of stay.

To change from wife extension to retirement requires the wife to sign off her knowledge of the change (if you go direct - if you wait and start anew Sunbelt has advised she would not be required). The money 800k in bank account 3 months and passbook/copies, bank letter, TM.7 with photo and 1,900 baht, passport with copies of front and visa/extensions pages. That's it and extension is granted same day.

Please note that the 1,900 Bht fee is aplicable to any one that does not live in Samui in which case it becomes 5,000 Bht. Must be a special suplement for living in paradise.

Please note that the 1,900 Bht fee is aplicable to any one that does not live in Samui in which case it becomes 5,000 Bht. Must be a special suplement for living in paradise.

Actually so far it is only you that seems to have paid a higher price.

I can see you are feeling really bad for having allowed yourself to be duped into paying more than the standard fee when you applied for extension in Samui last year.

You started a separate topic on this subject. Are you now going to post the same in every other topic where the 1,900-Baht extension fee is mentioned? Don’t you think this would be a bit childish?

---------------

Maestro

I can see you are feeling really bad for having allowed yourself to be duped into paying more than the standard fee when you applied for extension in Samui last year.

You started a separate topic on this subject. Are you now going to post the same in every other topic where the 1,900-Baht extension fee is mentioned? Don’t you think this would be a bit childish?

---------------

Maestro

Sorry. But just trying to make a point. I know there are many of you out there with more problems than me who would happilly pay five thousand a year to stay here I will now log off and start saving for my next extension. Thanks for your tolerance.

I am in pretty much the same boat. I am 55 yo. & been living here for around 10 years on spouse visa. How hard is it to convert to retirement visa?

As for PR I don't think any of us are on "Premanant Residence" as I assume this to stand for. If you are too lazy to type I feel sorry for you.

I assume the retitrement visa is one year renewable based upon our ability to jump through whatever hoops or hosts choose to erect.

PR actually stands for "permanent residence." I am sure the poster is not lazy; he just assumes that most people reading this forum will be familiar with what "PR" means; just like you assume that readers will be familiar with what "yo." means.....

Yeah I got to the part where I have to read & write Thai & PR just doesn't seem that desirable. A Swedish friend of mine wanted to take up Thai Citizenship (NATIONALITY) & it involved pretty much the same thing. Question for ya: They stamp :THAI WIFE" in my passoport every year. Do they have another rubber stamp for females saying "THAI HUSBAND"?

A lot of tadpoles Gen X'ers & MTV viewers are reluctant to write English in sentences - use punctuation & basically don't respect themselves. They were absent the day the teacher covered "English". Most of them are just flat out lazy. They will never amount to much. Good Luck to all you PR out there. You know who you are.

Edited by dotcom

most people reading this forum are not familiar with what "PR" means; the same with "yo."

what you mean "yo."

You are right, Satu. Many abbreviations can mean many different things and it is customary and polite to give an abbreviation’s meaning at its first use in a text.

YO = Yugoslavia

YO = Young Ones (Naturistische Activiteiten Vereniging)

YO = Youthful Offender

YO = Year Old

YO = Yeah, Okay

etc.

Source: http://acronymfinder.com

---------------

Maestro