why call thailand a third world country

excalibur2000

And my Political Science teacher said 3rd world countries don't have elections.

Well, he was wrong. India has always had elections, even if that looked doubtful during the 21-month state of emergency.

Managed elections are pretty commonplace nowadays in undemocratic nations.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather like the term "Third World". The term 'developing nation' requires far too many caveats to be accurate.

There are many reasons why Thailand deserves the title 'Third World' near the top of which is a raft of laws that make it a criminal offence to publicise the occasions when one of those 'first rate' hospitals destroy a patient's health or 'kill' them.

We get a lot of posts here on TVF complaining about 'negative views' of Thailand, and yes there there are people who focus on the negative, but the truth of the matter is, the real negative side of Thailand, corruption, abuse of power, organised crime, the abuse of the legal system by criminals, these things are not discussed.

Doing so could land the person discussing these issues in jail.

So while I agree with the OP, there are very many good things about Thailand, the difference between these good things in Thailand compared with the same good things in the west, is in Thailand merely discussing failures in service, incompetence, or criminality is in itself a crime.

It is this ability of criminals, the incompetent and the corrupt to silence any discussion of their crimes and failings that ensure Thailand has a rightful place in the list of 'Third World' countries.

'Developing country' would imply some semblance of continuing improvement, which apart from the window dressing, there is no other evidence of.

You're a hard man, my friend. Imagine! Coming to Thailand and calling a spade a flat auger.

Too many dimensions to Third World aswell - but the notional concept is accepted. But Third World Banana Republic has a better ring to it than developing world banana republic. So in the end, it's all semantics, and whether you've had the rough end of the pineapple today.

Well i will give only one example...today we took the riverboat express in BKK...OK it's cheap but smell likes diesel nonstop, noisy, not enough seats but worst of all it's OVERLOADED all the time. There sure are not enough lifevests for a jampacked boat with tourists...also nobody there speaks english, my wife got called a hooker by a longtailboat captain/tout at the pier, nobody knows where the boat is or which one they have to use, when the boat stops that goes very rough, riverwater splashes in your face when sailing. IT's a complete mess but for 13 baht we won't complain. I paid with 500 baht and got 23 notes of 20 baht change (+some coins), the piers (especially nonthaburi pier) is utterly filthy and loaded with rude people.

This is sure not for quality tourists but it's cheap transport..People from 70 years old better not use it.

Compare that to Singapore.....

Edited by Thian

My economics teacher in uni said 3rd World countries don't have elevators, every place else is either 'developing' or 'first world'

And my Political Science teacher said 3rd world countries don't have elections.

He said 'authoritarian' not 3rd world, you misunderstood him.

Because it hasn't been part of NATO (1st world) or the Soviet Bloc (2nd world).

Finally someone got it partly right. Thailand has been a first world country, as its interests were aligned with the USA. 2nd world countries were aligned to communist block. 3rd world countries weren't in either the 1st or 2nd world alignment. The terms has been confused now reflecting more of the economic status rather than the alignment geo politically!

I rather like the term "Third World". The term 'developing nation' requires far too many caveats to be accurate.

There are many reasons why Thailand deserves the title 'Third World' near the top of which is a raft of laws that make it a criminal offence to publicise the occasions when one of those 'first rate' hospitals destroy a patient's health or 'kill' them.

We get a lot of posts here on TVF complaining about 'negative views' of Thailand, and yes there there are people who focus on the negative, but the truth of the matter is, the real negative side of Thailand, corruption, abuse of power, organised crime, the abuse of the legal system by criminals, these things are not discussed.

So while I agree with the OP, there are very many good things about Thailand, the difference between these good things in Thailand compared with the same good things in the west, is in Thailand merely discussing failures in service, incompetence, or criminality is in itself a crime.

It is this ability of criminals, the incompetent and the corrupt to silence any discussion of their crimes and failings that ensure Thailand has a rightful place in the list of 'Third World' countries.

'Developing country' would imply some semblance of continuing improvement, which apart from the window dressing, there is no other evidence of.

You're a hard man, my friend. Imagine! Coming to Thailand and calling a spade a flat auger.

Too many dimensions to Third World aswell - but the notional concept is accepted. But Third World Banana Republic has a better ring to it than developing world banana republic. So in the end, it's all semantics, and whether you've had the rough end of the pineapple today.

To be elevated to the title "banana republic" a country first has to be a "republic", doesn't it?

republic (noun)[ri-puhb-lik]A state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
Edited by chickenslegs

To be elevated to the title "banana republic" a country first has to be a "republic", doesn't it?

republic (noun)[ri-puhb-lik]A state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

You misunderstand. A banana republic is a republic in the same way that Hobson's choice is a choice, i.e. not at all.

If you go to the Holiday places you will have a diffrent opinion to Thailand than if you go and live in the sticks and villages, Yes Thailand is a third world Country in places, But so is Britain , you have old people having to make a choice whether to eat or keep warm. So is Britain a third world country.

You misunderstand. A banana republic is a republic in the same way that Hobson's choice is a choice, i.e. not at all.

Erm...

ba·nan·a re·pub·lic
noun
derogatory
noun: banana republic; plural noun: banana republics
  1. a small nation, especially in Central America, dependent on one crop or the influx of foreign capital.

But, I was really just alluding to the irony of using the term "republic" in the context of the current situation here.

"I have been travelling to and from Thailand for the last twelve years or so, however I have not been able to go back there

for the last 18 months due to some ongoing health problems which I am hoping will be stabilise within the next 6 months

to enable me to go back there for a couple of months break away."

Why do so many posters feel the need to tell us how long they have lived or visited Thailand for ? It seems like it is a "pissing contest" who has been here the longest. It adds nothing to most posts and is irrelevant.

republic (noun)

[ri-puhb-lik]

A state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

Calling Thailand any type of "republic" is rather risky if you're in Thailand!

Thailand is classified as a "developing" country because it is politically incorrect to call it a corrupt, backward dysfunctional country.

The reference to "first class" hospitals and to the presence of cookie cutter shopping malls as an illustration of the country's status, would be funny if not for the fact that those making such claims actually believe it.Sadly, the people making the claims are not qualified to offer an informed assessment.

A large concrete structure holding retail units and fast food purveyors is not an indication of an advanced society. Universities, green spaces, affordable housing, effective public transit, environmental quality of living space, a viable economy and a solid infrastructure are all characteristics of a healthy society.

The hospitals of Thailand that meet developed world standards of quality are few. They are inaccessible to the majority of the population.

whistling.gif I guess "third world country" is not "politically correct".

Probably it is also not "politically correct" to say that the term "third world country" has nothing to do with the sate of it's economic development.....but also includes such things as freedom of expression and equal treatment for all it's citizens, not to mention it's non citizens.....such as the treatment of those who come to Thailand to work as migrant workers to earn a decent living that they can't in their own native country.

If you add all these things to the mix....not just economic development.....then I would have to say Thailand is still a "third world country" in many ways.

But then , by that standard, many countries are also "third world countries" whether that is "politically correct" or not.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thailand is classed as a developing country however there is no point in being a follower of labels. Look at reality. Thailand is behind in some areas however has the focus on developing. While countries like Australia that are labeled as Developed appear to have stopped developing and focus on regulation and increasing tax.

Comparing the two countries (Australia and Thailand) I would say Thailand is much better in so many ways.

Sure there are areas that could be improved however Thailand is Thailand, people should stop trying or wanting to change Thailand into a western country. We all know how bad western countries are to live in. Like Australia, Over taxed, over regulated ( you have to pay to just work for many industries), poor government that can't budget and always borrow more money because they live beyond their means.

Thailand shouldn't change much at all. You hear in the news the amount of times the Thai locals get upset about changes the government want to make, and what happens? the government listens and doesn't make the change. This happens a lot in Thailand however how many times can you see that happening in Australia. The public voted against GST and it was introduced, the public voted against carbon tax and it was introduced. The truth is Thais still have a say in their own country, and like it or not even when under military control the government still respects the public. Since the current PM took control I have seen him make more changes for the better and acted on more issues that directly affect the public than I have seen in any Australian PM do in the last 4 years.

I love Thailand the way it is and don't want to see it change or follow the western way of doing things. The western way isn't the only way of doing things.

stoneyboy. Sorry but i disagree with you.

Thailand has some first class hospitals.I know spent 7 months in Khonkaen hospital.

Yes at 1 point i was on a ward with nearly 70 beds.

My wife slept on the floor.

I did not pay millions of baht. It was paid for by my wifes government health insurance.

It sounds like you are making the case for other posters here. It is a country based on class and haves vs have nots.

If your wife did not have government insurance and instead relied on medical care like the majority of Thais, your experience would not have been nearly as pleasant.

For those lucky enough to land a government job or a career in the military, life is good, for the rest, not so much.

That sounds to me like the definition of a developing country.

stoneyboy. Sorry but i disagree with you.

Thailand has some first class hospitals.I know spent 7 months in Khonkaen hospital.

Yes at 1 point i was on a ward with nearly 70 beds.

My wife slept on the floor.

I did not pay millions of baht. It was paid for by my wifes government health insurance.

I might add that in what ever it is he considers a top notch country the chances of a relative staying there 24 hours a day with you are slim.

Here in Thailand I was in the hospital and at 8:00 when visiting hours were over they came in and asked my wife if she would like a blanket and a pillow. If that is third world or developing country or what ever turns your crank I will take it over what ever you think is 1st world or developed or what ever turns your crank. Yes the service was cheap, great and prompt. Not sure where you can get all three. For sure not in North America.

"Third world country" is fine, 'Developing country' is OK too! Both descriptions fit the bill.

We could make a list why it is so:

1/ Rampant and endemic corruption despite the alleged attempts to stamp it out.

2/ Human rights violations.

3/ Poorly regulated and poorly policed transport system.

4/ Infastructure poorly constructed and badly maintained.

5/ Care for the disabled and elderly almost non-existant.

Feel free to add whatever you think should be on the list!

We could make a list why it is so:

1/ Rampant and endemic corruption despite the alleged attempts to stamp it out.

2/ Human rights violations.

3/ Poorly regulated and poorly policed transport system.

4/ Infastructure poorly constructed and badly maintained.

5/ Care for the disabled and elderly almost non-existant.

Not much different than the US thenwhistling.gif

I see a lot of comments about the hospitals popping up here. I have never had a bad experience in a Thai hospital. I have heard of someone being charged 30,000 baht for something that shouldn't have cost any more than 2,000 baht however you get that in every country. Some hospitals will just over charge you as they are about profit not helping people.

I have found the service at hospitals in Thailand much better than Australia. Cost is a lot less and the Dr's that I have seen have always really made an effort to sort the problem and not just cover it by giving medicine and sending me on my way.

Good and bad doctors are everywhere regardless of the country you are in. My wife gave birth in Australia and in Thailand. We looked at private hospitals in Australia and it would cost about $15,000 AUD to give birth however they tried to push her into a C section. We ended up going public and it cost nothing. We had the same doctors from the private hospital and a much better room than private. Staff were very good.

In Thailand we had no real chose and went with private, cost about 900 AUD. Staff were very good and always there when we needed them. They explained everything very clearly and we had no issues. The only thing I thought was a little strange was I wasn't allowed in the baby room and they controlled when you could have the baby in the room. Very different to Australia however again, they did everything to make sure my wife was ok.

In addition to the great service in the Thai hospital the fee also included some home visits. So again, I can't see an issue with the hospitals here. We looked at a number of different hospitals and they were all good. When it comes to comparing them with Australian hospitals I would have to say the Thai hospitals look much better, faster service (when you factor the patient to staff ratio) and actual help from the staff.

In Australia I remember my ex partner, she had epilepsy and could go into seizures very easily. We were in the emergency room as she had a very bad cut to her arm. I told the staff about her condition and that I was concerned she would have a seizure however she was still left in the waiting room for over an hour. No assistance or nurse to check on her.

I take my child to the hospital because she has a temperature in Thailand and she is with a nurse on arrival. Even if it is just a check up, a nurse is there right away.

I can only speak from my own experience between the two countries and for my Thailand comes out on top each time. I have heard the Bangkok hospital in Hua Hin is very expensive (someone told me they were charged about 30,000 there) however the hospitals around BKK have been at a respectable rate. Doctor visit around 600 baht, and if we need to pay for medication it is normally around 1,200 baht in total for doctor fee and medication.

It would be interesting to see what other people are being charged so we can compare and possibly help each other steer clear of the hospitals that are over charging people.