What should I do if involved in a car accident ?

The first and most important thing you do for any accident is to photograph the license plate of the other vehicle or motorbike. Some Thais have a tendency to take off after an accident so you should document the accident as much as possible with photos.

Then call your insurance company and follow their instructions to the letter. Finally, call the police if your insurance representative so instructs.

You should be careful when photographing as the other driver may object forcefully!!

This is sound advice in every country in the world!!

Please drive defensively and safely while in Thailand!!!

Edited by seedy
font

having watched a 1 hour youtube video last night of thai car crashes i will advise that on entering into vehicular carnage with others the 1st thing to do is get out the car and run down the road a bit, then get you phone out and call someone, not sure who but its what every thai in the crashes does. pointing at random things as if they were to blame seems fairly common too.

on no account do you help any wounded people or those that appear dead, just walk around as if theyre not there. if theres a 7/11 handy then go hide out in there for a bit, return and mingle in with the crowd. maybe they wont spot you were the driver so you cant get blamed.

all of that seems to be the common practice on thai crash videos.

There is an exception here to normal practice. Do not move the vehicle.

In a sensible country one would move the vehicle to a safe and convenient location if feasible. For obvious reasons.

Not here.

Then do what you would consider reasonable and sensible. Check that nobody is hurt or needs emergency medical assistance.

Move yourself to a safe place. Call insurance company, call a trusted friend. A Thai acquaintance can be helpful if the accident is serious, and the vehicle is undriveable.

Stay calm, the BIB are not corrupt in these matters if you are not impaired by drugs or alcohol

I had a serious accident. No injuries, two cars written off. It wasn't my fault. I had no insurance, no tax, no license. The police were cool, immediately apportioned blame on the Thai driver of the other vehicle. Had to surrender my passport to the police.

A week after the accident had to meet at the police stn. Again the other driver was deemed at fault. Police returned my passport.

Waited 3 months for insurance payout.

The only difference, apart from my obvious driving offences going unpunished, don't move the vehicle.

Be prepared and aware. It not a case of if but when you have an accident.

Wacky Races.

Not entirely true. I have been involved in 4 accidents in my 10 years of driving in Thailand. All 4 accidents were caused by the other drivers. If the other party admits liability on the spot, you can move the vehicles to the side of the road, as happened to me; I was sitting in traffic waiting for the lights to change to green and a large container lorry smashed into my left side, as well as hitting 3 other cars. The driver immediately admitted that his brakes weren't working and we were allowed to move our cars to the side of the road.

In a sensible country one would move the vehicle to a safe and convenient location if feasible. For obvious reasons.

Not here.

Then do what you would consider reasonable and sensible. Check that nobody is hurt or needs emergency medical assistance.

Move yourself to a safe place. Call insurance company, call a trusted friend. A Thai acquaintance can be helpful if the accident is serious, and the vehicle is undriveable.

Stay calm, the BIB are not corrupt in these matters if you are not impaired by drugs or alcohol

I had a serious accident. No injuries, two cars written off. It wasn't my fault. I had no insurance, no tax, no license. The police were cool, immediately apportioned blame on the Thai driver of the other vehicle. Had to surrender my passport to the police.

A week after the accident had to meet at the police stn. Again the other driver was deemed at fault. Police returned my passport.

The only difference, apart from my obvious driving offences going unpunished, don't move the vehicle.

Wacky Races.

If you had no licence then you were very lucky. No licence automatically puts you at fault because you shouldn't even be on the road. I hope you never have a serious accident where you kill someone or even an accident with another expat who knows what they are doing. The first thing I would do in any accident my fault or not, is take a few photos (copy of dash cam footage front and rear as well), then ask the driver for his licence and call the police. If they do a runner it will all be recorded anyway as evidence. If they do not have a licence then they are at fault no matter what.

Call your insurance company, the rep will come out to the scene of the accident and will take care of absolutely everything, it's very very easy and safe.

What happens if the accident is at 11pm at night or a Thai holiday. Will the rep still come out? or you are not sure exactly where you are. I bet it is not that easy.

Yes and it is, I've called them to the scene of three or four accidents in odd locations at odd times, always reliable - but only if you use a good insurance company and have first class insurance. They even take care of the police aspect and all the negotiations with the other party, if needed.

Could you please let me know when and where you drive around CM. You appear to be somewhat accident prone.smile.png

Call your insurance company, the rep will come out to the scene of the accident and will take care of absolutely everything, it's very very easy and safe.

What happens if the accident is at 11pm at night or a Thai holiday. Will the rep still come out? or you are not sure exactly where you are. I bet it is not that easy.

Yes and it is, I've called them to the scene of three or four accidents in odd locations at odd times, always reliable - but only if you use a good insurance company and have first class insurance. They even take care of the police aspect and all the negotiations with the other party, if needed.

Could you please let me know when and where you drive around CM. You appear to be somewhat accident prone.smile.png

Twice in Chiang Mai, once in Sukhothai and once in Phuket, four incidents over eleven years, not one was my fault, just like poster teacherpaul above.

Edited by chiang mai

Buy a good car cam for 1000thb at lazada.com like the one on the picture, and place it on your car.

Do not move the car, and do not leave the car if possible, and call the car insurance and police.

Keep the ignition key ON.

Wait for the car insurance guy to arrive.

Stop the camera.

Its will recorded the accident and all the conversation between you, the other party, and the police.

If any doubts about how happens, make a copy of the SD drive and gave to the insurance guy. Not the original.

If was not your fault, you are covered.

post-231810-0-83304400-1455009331_thumb.

Edited by Muzarella

I bought one, exact same model, it stopped working after two weeks so I pitched it!.

Bad luck.

You need to be sure that had warranty. Those ones in Lazada, some have up to one year warranty, some any (for some reason).

Mine is just great!..working perfect for more than a year. Model W1.

Edited by Muzarella

I cannot belive nobody knows turn off all ignition as thais dont know that, and the number 1669 answer for everything on the road

have a thai call them with your fone

the recue if the ambulance dont need to come,are not paid they are benevoles ,so youre suposed to pay them a bit

Edited by jerome2

I bought one, exact same model, it stopped working after two weeks so I pitched it!.

Bad luck.

You need to be sure that had warranty. Those ones in Lazada, some have up to one year warranty, some any (for some reason).

Mine is just great!..working perfect for more than a year. Model W1.

Mine had a one year guarantee but I chose not to enforce it, the camera was a piece of junk, a Chinese knock off the real thing.

Not here.

Wacky Races.

If you had no licence then you were very lucky. No licence automatically puts you at fault because you shouldn't even be on the road. I hope you never have a serious accident where you kill someone or even an accident with another expat who knows what they are doing. The first thing I would do in any accident my fault or not, is take a few photos (copy of dash cam footage front and rear as well), then ask the driver for his licence and call the police. If they do a runner it will all be recorded anyway as evidence. If they do not have a licence then they are at fault no matter what.

"No licence automatically puts you at fault because you shouldn't even be on the road."

Not rteue, normal road rules and faults apply. But normally a fine will be issued, so be prepared to pay 500 baht.

Like I said. Old bill weren't interested in me as the accident wasn't my fault.

My Thai associate, whom I compensated for represented me, said my offences weren't relevant, to my surprise.

I have an English driving license. Never had a Thai one. Complete joke by comparison. IMV

If that is the case from all that you have stated...then:

Do not drive a car here in Thailand.

I do not drive and do not feel the need to do so nor at any time in 28 years here while I believe that the majority of other foreigners also do not drive here in Thailand .

Who needs the stress.......Let someone else drive.

Cheers

Have a license that's not valid in Thailand and have an accident, your insurance is voided, you pay, you go to jail.

Not true. The car is insured, nothing to do with the driver.

In my experience, I called the insurance, rep sent out. I was at fault, the insurance rep had a conversation with the other driver - if he wanted to claim, we would need to call the police, the cost of fines he was facing for no licence, insurance and tax was more than the cost of the damage, so the other driver drove off.

I had a 2000B deductible on my 2+1 policy, I paid nothing even though it was my fault. I'm guessing this was because the other driver did not claim.

Have a license that's not valid in Thailand and have an accident, your insurance is voided, you pay, you go to jail.

Not true. The car is insured, nothing to do with the driver.

In my experience, I called the insurance, rep sent out. I was at fault, the insurance rep had a conversation with the other driver - if he wanted to claim, we would need to call the police, the cost of fines he was facing for no licence, insurance and tax was more than the cost of the damage, so the other driver drove off.

I had a 2000B deductible on my 2+1 policy, I paid nothing even though it was my fault. I'm guessing this was because the other driver did not claim.

Maybe your car insurance is difference from everyone else's, my fully comp policy with Viryiha (sp) says it is so, otherwise I wouldn't have written as much!

Not correct in my experience either.

Had a foreigner who began to reverse into a car park but didn't look and reversed into me. He was calm but his Thai wife went nuts and coached him to blame the whole event on me.

I didn't move the car. Police came. Lots of pics. Insurance companies came, more pics.

Went to the police station. Other party lied through their teeth. Had some local Thai friends, they are very useful in these situations. Senior policeman who took pics could see it was not my fault, but because it was damage from behind, insurance companies were reluctant to support me based on testimony.

In the end each parties company paid for the damage to their own cars. They initially said my company should pay for both, but I insisted we shouldn't pay for theirs because it wasn't my fault. I have a foreign drivers licence.

My only advice is get a dash cam. Seriously. It will save a lot of bullcrap.

Edited by madhav

A foreign license is valid in Thailand for limited duration so you were legal.

"To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here".

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

Had a crash last December late evening when a car turned right across my lane as I was approaching, leaving me not enough time to brake.

We both pulled our cars over as it was dark and others might have plowed into us. There was some damage but minimal I suppose, a dent and broken light.

I don't have insurance other than 'por ror bor' but the other guy (a Thai) admitteded responsibility and called his insurance company.

They arrived within 30mins and the paperwork was done and it's all coming off his insurance.

So it's not always 100% necessary to have fully comp insurance although I admit feeling fortunate that he accepted responsibility and didn't just drive off.

If you cannot speak or understand Thai then basically you`re stuffed.

If involved in an accident and it`s not your fault the Thai party will guess you don`t have a clue and unable to communicate with the police and will probably either try to bluff out of it or just drive off leaving you high and dry. This is fact happened to me a while back. 2 men on a motorbike knocked into the back of my motorbike smashing my rear light. They stopped had a looked, grinned, looked at my face as if saying, what am I going to do about it? And then drove off. I thought, what`s the point in calling the police, they won`t care. Next day I had the rear light replaced and let it be.

sorry

But its DIFFERENT.

Talking about RENT CAR.

Car can come with insurance.

Bike i not see wit insurance.

If not any crime.

Its problem INSURANCE company!!!just call!!!

"To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here".

please.

U give two diferent convention.

So its two different thonks.

And for International insurance company can folow conwention(its what coutry you from)

For Thai police must follow rules inside.

1 Convention its not MUST be translation on English. Must be follow standart. And some conventuon standart its French!!!

So can be NDL its cover insurance and must pay fee(drive with out driver permit)

If you rented the vehicle through a rental company (Hertz, Avis, Sixt etc.) they can give you all of the information that you are requesting, including breakdown and repair services.

+100

I agree 100%

And just add nust know about crime in Thailand. Anotger nothing metter.

Pay cash because no matter what you'll pay and a rental car, hope you have 300,000 extra baht.

Ha ha why 300k? Why nor 1 m?

Its can cover if you kill some..(i hear);)

Its you experience? Becouse u do not read al note in rental cotract and get cheap car

Edited by ardokano

please.

U give two diferent convention.

So its two different thonks.

And for International insurance company can folow conwention(its what coutry you from)

For Thai police must follow rules inside.

1 Convention its not MUST be translation on English. Must be follow standart. And some conventuon standart its French!!!

So can be NDL its cover insurance and must pay fee(drive with out driver permit)

Chiang Mai is absolutely correct.

And I know English is not your first language, but a post like yours I really can not understand.