China Airlines BKK-AMS ending in Dec 2016 maybe !

My travel agent in the UK has heard a rumour that this service will finish at the end of the year.

I have just checked in at BKK and the lovely lady asked me if I had heard the rumour that this flight will end in December and be replaced by a direct flight from Taipei to Amsterdam.

Seems this one has some substance.

Not published or announced in the route filings as of yet, and CA has been making a lot of announcements in respect to additional routes and frequencies as it takes delivery of new equipment.

No big loss if the route is changed. It's a code share with AF/KLM using an aged inefficient AB 340, so there are alternatives. I specifically avoid the poor service and soft product in favour of the alternate option of a direct with KLM. Yes, the CA option is less expensive, but there is a reason for that. Go with the superior KLM and at least have a glass of decent wine, professional service and something edible.

Not published or announced in the route filings as of yet, and CA has been making a lot of announcements in respect to additional routes and frequencies as it takes delivery of new equipment.

No big loss if the route is changed. It's a code share with AF/KLM using an aged inefficient AB 340, so there are alternatives. I specifically avoid the poor service and soft product in favour of the alternate option of a direct with KLM. Yes, the CA option is less expensive, but there is a reason for that. Go with the superior KLM and at least have a glass of decent wine, professional service and something edible.

You are so wrong

Edited by swampdonkey

I used the CI flight when it routed Amsterdam-Chiang Mai-Taipei for a short time on a 747-400. Cabin crew were fine, meals ok. No seat back TV's and i remember they were playing some kind of Olympics build up documentary. The Olympics had ended six months earlier! Still it was nice to fly non stop from europe to Chiang Mai. The only time i have ever done that.

Done this route with both CI (a few times) and KLM in business cabin. Food and drinks were vastly superior on CI. Both seats were not the best, quite dated (though I believe KLM have since updated theirs). Flight attendants were great on CI, professional but slightly surly on KLM. Getting the flyer miles credited with CI was hit-and-miss (couldn't be done online) - they owed me nearly 40,000 when I stopped flying with them. Not sure I'd fly with either again unless the price was outstanding. It seems odd that CI are considering scrapping the Bangkok stop, as the route starts and ends in Taipei anyway.

nonsense, what are you talking about CA? it is CI