Milk

Dionigi

Can anybody tell me where I can obtain raw cows milk close to Pattaya. I want to make some cheese but the store bought variety appears to have something done to it that stops it from setting.

I only need 6 or seven litres a couple of times a week.

Completely wrong ...... MeiJi and ChokChai are real milk, Dutch Mill and the other one aren't.

But you can make cheese or yogurt from any of them.

OP is doing something else wrong.

Edited by Rimmer

I'm guessing Dionigi doesn't know his curds from his whey. Bet he can't make a nice Norwegian blue.

Squeeze a Norwegian's balls very tight and he will go blue. Don't ask me how I know. coffee1.gif

Mmm. That would work. I don't want to know how you know.

Edited by champers

I'm not an expert on making cheese but I wonder if the OP just needs to add some rennet? If so I think that the new wholesale baking ingredients shop at Friendship has it.

Given the high price of milk here is there any possible saving to be had in making cheese yourself when compared with the price of that "Vintage" Australian cheddar that I buy at BigC (175B/250g)? Presumably having made it I would need to age it for 2 years also. Cant see that happening in my condo.

I see the Mod has removed my comment about powdered milks here...If I was completely wrong about which one is and which is isnt' then I can only go on the info that the Thais themselves are using ....I can't qoute where that info comes from either....

So from now on I will keep putting Captain Morgans on my porridge...

Like Abraham Lincoln famously said "Never believe anything you see or read on the Internet".

I see the Mod has removed my comment about powdered milks here...If I was completely wrong about which one is and which is isnt' then I can only go on the info that the Thais themselves are using ....I can't qoute where that info comes from either....

If you ask in any coffee shop, they can tell you.

You can't foam some of the milk brands to make Latte, etc.

You want the brands that will foam.

Meiji and ChokChai will foam.

But anyway it doesn't matter for cheese, you can make cheese from any powdered milk product(that isn't lactose free).

All you need to make cheese is the lactose and bacteria to eat it.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I have made lots of cheese before and am hardly a newbie at it but this is the first time I have tried in Thailand. I wish to make cheshire, lancashire, wensley dale and caerphilly which are not generally available in Thailand.

I like the remarks about the different milks from MaeJoMTB and will try the ones mentioned. I have been using Foremost and even after renneting with various strengths of rennet and leaving up to two hours

it will not set to a clean break.

Raw fresh milk also has certain advantages with the natural bacteria within it that flavour the cheese which are lost with the pasturisation process.

I have also tried using dried milk but the return on the project was very low.

Good cheddar here is very rare and if you can get a good one it is very expensive.

I bought some Magnolia whipping cream to make some cream cheese the other week and found it bore very little resembalance to anything which came from a cow. It was full of some kind of out which ran out in every direction instead of whey.

I have made lots of cheese before and am hardly a newbie at it but this is the first time I have tried in Thailand. I wish to make cheshire, lancashire, wensley dale and caerphilly which are not generally available in Thailand.

I like the remarks about the different milks from MaeJoMTB and will try the ones mentioned. I have been using Foremost and even after renneting with various strengths of rennet and leaving up to two hours

it will not set to a clean break.

Raw fresh milk also has certain advantages with the natural bacteria within it that flavour the cheese which are lost with the pasturisation process.

I have also tried using dried milk but the return on the project was very low.

Good cheddar here is very rare and if you can get a good one it is very expensive.

What do you do about ageing? The cheddar I buy here is labelled 2 years old, and in the UK I buy the Davidstow premium one that is supposedly 3 years old and has crunchy crystals in it. Costs a lot but you dont need to use much to get a lot of flavour. Or do the types you mentioned not require this ageing?

How many litres of milk do you need for a kg of your cheese? The guide I read said around 10 litres per kilo.

I always buy Meiji milk now as it tastes much better in tea. The other brands I have tried do not taste the same.

I agree, the Meiji brand is the best , I only buy whole milk , I am pretty sure it also would be perfect for making cheese with it.

@KittenKong I have bought a bottle fridge that is supposed to cool to 10 to 11 degrees c at the top temperature. This is the temperature for keeping cheese when it is manufactured, at least for most types. I an awaiting a temperature and humidity measurinf device as I think that the temperature is varying over too large a range. If it is I have a digital controller on its way to convert the control to within 1/2 a degree C.

With the milk I have used (Foremost) as I said it would not set correctly but I have drained the whey and pressed it from 6 litres of milk I obtained about 3/4 kilo of cheese. This is not a great amount cost wise but is good if you are getting what you want. This is another reason why I wanted raw milk as it will probably be cheaper than store bought and as I said will give the correct consistancy for the cheese. What has been produce at the moment has a very close consistancy but I have put one cheese down as a parmesan style and that will age for 1 year. Normally most cheeses mature for 3 to 4 months.

With raw milk the 3 months ensures taht any harmful bacteria in the milk has died off before eating.