Anybody else's bikes loving the cold air?

Happy Grumpy

I thought it was just my imagination - but the CRF250M seemed to have a bit more power today - and although I like my bike, it hardly has an excess of power - so every little counts!

I guess cold air is denser so has more oxygen? The FI system should adjust to the change and gain a little extra boost?

Or the cold draft makes us feel like we're going quicker.

But at least I can wear decent protection without getting heat stroke!

I moan all the time when it's hot, then went to Laos and it was too cold, so whinged about that, two days a go it was 21c here, a great day. So the weather needs to be between 20.5c and 21.5c......what? it's not too much to ask.

Cold air means more power, hence an intercooler, cold and damp is even better. British cars are the fastest on the planet...

My air cooled Scrambler sure is happy. Uhm no, scratch that. My legs are the ones who are happy.

Is engine heat a serious issue with the Scrambler? I've been lusting after one - but don't want cooked legs.

post-174911-0-84336500-1455185138_thumb.

As you can see there is a heat shield on the exhaust pipe,

so you should be fine.

My air cooled Scrambler sure is happy. Uhm no, scratch that. My legs are the ones who are happy.

Is engine heat a serious issue with the Scrambler? I've been lusting after one - but don't want cooked legs.

As you can see there is a heat shield on the exhaust pipe,

so you should be fine.

That would be ok if the exhaust was where the heat came from. But it's the engine that radiates a LOT of heat.

It's aircooled 803cc after all.

As long as you are on the move (50km/h+) it's OK. Just don't wear shorts or you might get mild burns.

In heavy stop and go it will get uncomfortable.

Also now my Scrambler is much better than when it was new. It's probably a combination of breaking the bike in plus the Termi exhaust which does away with the cat and reflashes the ECU to be less lean.

The stock exhaust was always getting incredibly hot to the point that it can melt your shoe soles when you get too close. The Termi doesn't get anywhere as hot.

Some guy added a Booster Plug to his Scrambler which fakes the ambient temperature so the engine runs a richer fuel mix and that dropped the engine temp about 20C.