Do you use a dash cam ?

Hopefully I'll never need dash cam evidence but I think it is well worth having. I have cameras in both the car and my truck. The truck has an expensive one with GPS functions. Whether that is a good idea depends on how you drive. The GPS functions can be turned off. The one in the car is a fairly cheap unit from Lazada. The 2,000 baht unit records images at least as good as the expensive unit.

I have an Aussy mate who is now on his third cam!

The first two dies of heat stroke he said, they were very cheap ones.

No. 3 cost a little more than 2500b and seems to be OK.

Does anyone feel that they are a stealing target?

Should they be removed when you are not in the car?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the interior mirror clip on version. These can be bought using two cameras front and rear recording simultaneous. This can be used as a reversing aid as well. It’s not just the clowns in front of you, had a friend who was hit from behind and the other driver told the police that my friend was reversing. He had a camera recording of him being stationary. Thai guy got well and truly done by the police. Search E-Bay good choices.!!!!

"It seems to me that the roads here are some of the worst I have ever driven on. "

Seems like the OP have not been around the world very much.....

there is a lot worse roads out there to explore

attachicon.giftroll1.jpg

The world statistics disagree with you. Thailand has the world's second highest traffic fatality rate.

For that statistic alone, I bought and use a dashcam.

I think western drivers tend to use a dash cam in the same way Thai drivers rely on garlands and medallions....same place samne function just a different fetish

Same function, are you serious? Maybe you should have added a smiley face.

"smiley face"?? - I take it you don't understand the meaning of fetish in my post?

"It seems to me that the roads here are some of the worst I have ever driven on. "

attachicon.giftroll1.jpg

The world statistics disagree with you. Thailand has the world's second highest traffic fatality rate.

as ever, an over simplistic take on some fairly complex statistics.

What's the cost of your average dash cam?

I take it is it easy enough to get them installed in Thailand?

Are dash cams generally only available online or are they for sale in stores here?

Lazada ! Very good choice, every prices thumbsup.gif

they are a great idea and i am surprised insurance companies have not offered a discount on premiums to have one fitted.

i want to do some uber driving and would like to get one with a forward facing and rear facing camera. wonder if these exist.

i also wonder how a thai cop would respond if you turned your dash mounted cam on him when doing a stop.

attachicon.giftroll1.jpg

as ever, an over simplistic take on some fairly complex statistics.

What's so complex about a simple statistic? As ever...

they are a great idea and i am surprised insurance companies have not offered a discount on premiums to have one fitted.

i want to do some uber driving and would like to get one with a forward facing and rear facing camera. wonder if these exist.

i also wonder how a thai cop would respond if you turned your dash mounted cam on him when doing a stop.

Possibly because the cheap ones don't continue working for very long.

I bought a cheap one in Chinatown BKK.

I think it was around 1000 baht.
Have it for about 9 months now.
Works fine.
I bought it so the police wouldn't pull me over at their roadblocks and they now always wave me through.
But, I like the reassurance of having it whenever there are close calls. (no accidents yet)

I did take the sD card out and try it in my laptop.
Quality was OK, not great, but fine for seeing what's happening in front of me.

(didn't get the rear one)

Glad I have it

I have an aftermarket DC in both of my cars. Had a Tuk Tuk cut me off and damage my front fender and bumper. Shoulda' seen the look on his face when I showed the footage to the cops and insurance guy. As they used to say in the Mastercard ad "Priceless!" Then when the Tuk Tuk owner showed up at the police station and went into a violent rant the cop braced him onto the wall, told him to shut up, "It is your driver's fault and here is the evidence!" Boom. Slam dunk. When I purchased my second DC I got one with a front and a rear camera. If I can find one that sees the four corners as well I will buy that one.

attachicon.giftroll1.jpg

Just because there are a lot of accidents does not mean the roads are bad.

Putting it into context, if you are Thai your chances of ending your life in a road accident is over 5%. For a UK citizen it's 0.42%

What % of Brits have a mo-ped as a daily driver?

2.6% of the road population. This is all motorcyclists.

Ok, kind of irrelevant as many people use motorbikes here inc me.

By my calculations based on Internet statistics ( please don't ask for links, took me enough to work out lol)

Strictly car users only in Thailand , it drops right down to 1.27% over ones lifetime

In the uk that figure drops to 0.34%

Far less but statistically still nearly 4 times more likely to die in a car accident in Thailand than in the uk

Edited by Cook my sock

Putting it into context, if you are Thai your chances of ending your life in a road accident is over 5%. For a UK citizen it's 0.42%

What % of Brits have a mo-ped as a daily driver?

The ones who buy Trucks when they get here.cheesy.gif

Well buying a bike here could make you another statistic, so yeah, a truck makes sense.

By my calculations based on Internet statistics ( please don't ask for links, took me enough to work out lol)

Strictly car users only in Thailand , it drops right down to 1.27% over ones lifetime

Far less but statistically still nearly 4 times more likely to die in a car accident in Thailand than in the uk

How do the emergency response and medical services compare?

How do you think the average number of passengers and or deaths per vehicle compares?

Nice one Dave !! I have said many times - take out scooters from the deaths per annum, compare EMS services as you mentioned, and the total will be comparable. Driving here 15 years and seen lots, but see lots in the West too. Everybody else on the road is out to kill you - drive accordingly.

Nice one Dave !! I have said many times - take out scooters from the deaths per annum, compare EMS services as you mentioned, and the total will be comparable. Driving here 15 years and seen lots, but see lots in the West too. Everybody else on the road is out to kill you - drive accordingly.

Take out the scooters? Isn't that just a bit of wishful thinking? Because that's not going to happen. Something you seem to be ignoring is the sheer number of drivers who either totally ignore or are unaware of what the road rules are. Add to that the high number of unlicenced drivers (including school children), the high incidence of drunk driving, the poor maintenance of vehicles (those buses whose brakes continually fail), pickups overloaded with people in the back, speeding mini bus drivers high on yaba etc, and you're trying to tell me the total would be comparable?

Edited by giddyup

O.K. im wrong again,just got a Chinese Guy to help me. hes set it perfect from the book,recons id pushed the wrong settings.Thats the second time ive ducked it up.wai.gif Try Again.!!.facepalm.gif

I can help you for couple botle beer

;)

I can read many lang.

But cant write;)

Edited by ardokano