Family of murdered Hannah Witheridge pleaded with her to not go backpacking in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conspiracy theories just went to another level!

the shame on UK just went to another level

Proof, credible link, else it aint so!

it is just my opinion (same opinion as most tvf members who don't have dirty agendas or businesses/interests in koh tao) tongue.png ... in fact the OP constitutes the link upon wich my opinion is basedtongue.png

Revealed: Britain’s National Crime Agency Helped Thai Police Put Two Men On Death Row

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/how-the-nca-helped-put-two-men-on-death-row#.rrKm6N47L

Thanks for posting this.

So NCA supported Thai police in their assertion that a phone they had found once belonged to David Miller.

I'm still confused by the fact that the RTP produced an "unsmashed" iPhone - exactly the same as Miller's - only hours after the bodies were discovered - of which there are photographs and news reports. and apparently this is the same phone they found some days later "smashed".

I'm sure the NCA and RTP are correct that the phone the RTP reportedly found near the bodies that belonged to David Miller are one and the same.. I highly doubt that the phone found days later is the same phone!

Even so, it does not prove that the B2 murdered David and Hannah.

In order for Great Britain to quickly return to being Great again, all British Police personnel and civil servants who have had any connection with the Koh Tao incidents should have their bank accounts closely scrutinised.

There is simply no other explanation.

Yes, fellow tourists trying to live the dream, yolo ( you only live once (apparently)), please avoid the death island(s) known as the UK because it seems there are men roaming the streets with bulging wallets, bumping into any of these gentlemen ( pu dee khrap) may result in serious injury to the shoulder due to the sheer weight of their said leather purses.

For Britain to quickly return to be great again, all the staff of the British police and officials who have had a connection with the Koh Tao incidents should have their bank accounts scrutinized.

There is simply no other explanation.

Or rather learn modesty to forum commentators who know everything about everything behind their screen.
And for some even their avatar is pedantic ...
Edited by happy Joe

Revealed: Britains National Crime Agency Helped Thai Police Put Two Men On Death Row

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomwarren/how-the-nca-helped-put-two-men-on-death-row#.rrKm6N47L

Thanks for posting this.

So NCA supported Thai police in their assertion that a phone they had found once belonged to David Miller.

I'm still confused by the fact that the RTP produced an "unsmashed" iPhone - exactly the same as Miller's - only hours after the bodies were discovered - of which there are photographs and news reports. and apparently this is the same phone they found some days later "smashed".

I'm sure the NCA and RTP are correct that the phone the RTP reportedly found near the bodies that belonged to David Miller are one and the same.. I highly doubt that the phone found days later is the same phone!

There is much confusion about how many phones were found.

Who those phones belonged to and when they were found.

For me I can only listen to the witnesses that were there and can give first hand testimony of at least one of the phones.

That witness is the second defendant Wei Phyo and his friend Ren Ren.

Wei Phyo testified that he found it at the beach near the murders at 4am. He testified that he gave the phone to Ren Ren , who then destroyed it and hid it because he thought it came from the crime.

We can deduce that there would be not that many phones left laying around on the beach, and it had a high possibility of coming from the crime.

The UK confirmed the number of the phone as being Davids.

Wei Phyo had a separate charge of theft and must pay 17000 baht in compensation.

The defense were given the opportunity to defend this charge but did not.

So in essence, Wei Phyo accepted the charge of stealing Davids phone. Wei Phyo is a direct witness to these events and knows more about the phone than posters on here. Therefore, we should listen to his testimony and accept it.

Every time I see a picture of this beautiful girl it saddens me so much. Along with David they should have been home in there countries telling all there friends of the wonderful time they had in Thailand. Instead there families are left to try and get there lives back together after such a horrendous crime. Day by day the families have to deal with so much and even after the inquest is over and a judgement made it will go on.. The Thai authorities have added to the hurt and pain by a complete botched investigation and a flawed court case which means it's going to appeal and the pain for the families continues. Sadly it has to happen as it would seem to most that the B2 have been framed and another set of parents are now involved. The whole situation is just heartbreaking for everyone including many on Thai Visa... I just hope one day the truth will come out,whatever it may be, and that in turn will enable the Witheridge's and Miller's to have some form of closure on this issue

Lovely to see ... "A message from the heart".... . So so sad there parents will never get over this, such a beautiful young couple....

Easy to make statistics work any way you want them too. All I would say is that if my son wanted to go backpacking in Thailand today I would do my best to persuade him to go elsewhere. We cannot wrap our kids in cotton wool and we want them to experience life wherever it is but we also have a duty to try to keep them away from danger. If I had never been to Thailand or had never seen the dangers first hand then I may well just wave him off at the airport without much thought.

Divert your boy to Mexico or especially South America, he will be fine, trust me Edited by mcfish

Revealed: Britains National Crime Agency Helped Thai Police Put Two Men On Death Row

Thanks for posting this.

For me I can only listen to the witnesses that were there and can give first hand testimony of at least one of the phones.

Wei Phyo testified that he found it at the beach near the murders at 4am. He testified that he gave the phone to Ren Ren , who then destroyed it and hid it because he thought it came from the crime.

We can deduce that there would be not that many phones left laying around on the beach, and it had a high possibility of coming from the crime.

Wei Phyo had a separate charge of theft and must pay 17000 baht in compensation.

So in essence, Wei Phyo accepted the charge of stealing Davids phone. Wei Phyo is a direct witness to these events and knows more about the phone than posters on here. Therefore, we should listen to his testimony and accept it.

And though the families quite rightly have their misgivings about thailand. Both of the families have accepted the justice that has been served.

At the end of the day with all false starts, the Thai police did good. Those 2 are right where they should be.

Thanks for posting this.

And though the families quite rightly have their misgivings about thailand. Both of the families have accepted the justice that has been served.

At the end of the day with all false starts, the Thai police did good. Those 2 are right where they should be.

IT IS NOT TRUE... David's family has accepted it (but isn't favorable to the death penaly) but Hannah's family hasn't made any comment except for her sister who very very clearly expressed her views and they are not yours...

It annoys me when people put words into Laura mouth that she never said any such thing.

At no time has her or her family even come close to insinuating that the wrong people were in prison. She does not make a single comment about the investigation of the suspects, nor a single comment about the verdict. In addition the comments made by the mum talked about her reservation of Hannah coming to Thailand. At no time did she ever mention the b2 or comment on the verdict.

Laura does refer to the anonymous post, but most of that post is about the history of the island and several other deaths that have occurred there. She made comments that thailand is not the land of lovely and is a very dangerous place. Really,this cannot be construed as meaning she supported the b2 as being innocent .

She criticized the police, but again it had nothing to do with the rtp investigation, but rather that she felt they were insensitive to her families grief. If you live thailand, you know thai are not comfortable with open emotions, and besides, is there any nice way to present that your loved one has been murdered. David's family did come out and say they were comfortable with the verdict and thought it was the right one.

The Witheridge family did say early, the evidence against them was absolutely overwhelming and the b2 had a lot to answer for. They have never deviated from that stance.

It annoys me when people put words into Laura mouth that she never said any such thing.

At no time has her or her family even come close to insinuating that the wrong people were in prison. She does not make a single comment about the investigation of the suspects, nor a single comment about the verdict. In addition the comments made by the mum talked about her reservation of Hannah coming to Thailand. At no time did she ever mention the b2 or comment on the verdict.

Laura does refer to the anonymous post, but most of that post is about the history of the island and several other deaths that have occurred there. She made comments that thailand is not the land of lovely and is a very dangerous place. Really,this cannot be construed as meaning she supported the b2 as being innocent .

She criticized the police, but again it had nothing to do with the rtp investigation, but rather that she felt they were insensitive to her families grief. If you live thailand, you know thai are not comfortable with open emotions, and besides, is there any nice way to present that your loved one has been murdered. David's family did come out and say they were comfortable with the verdict and thought it was the right one.

The Witheridge family did say early, the evidence against them was absolutely overwhelming and the b2 had a lot to answer for. They have never deviated from that stance.

If you had read the links I provided you would have found this for example that contradicts what you say about Laura's view on the police :

"

Laura went on to express concerns about other deaths on the island, writing: "What if I told you that since we lost Hannah there have been many more suspicious deaths on Koh Tao.

"You probably haven't heard of them all, as not all were British nationals. The deaths, where possible, are covered up as suicides and accidents.

"This would have happened with Hannah, if it had not been for the hideous brutality of her passing."

"

She obviously trusts the police's job...

And the whole point of the Anonymous video she gave a link to was to show how this investigation was a joke and that the wrong people are behind bars, if she gave the link, she most probably shares this view...

Edited by fab99

It's an absolute travesty of justice that the wrong people are behind bars for the Murder of Hannah Witheridge, whilst the real murderers (members of the Koh Tao mafia family and their goons) are walking around laughing in the face (and making fun) of justice. Laura Witheridge made it absolutely clear that she feels the same way when she made her Facebook post and included a link to the Anonymous Koh Tao video. Certain posters know this, but persist in trying to mislead public perception for some strange reason.

If you had read the links I provided you would have found this for example that contradicts what you say about Laura's view on the police :

"

Laura went on to express concerns about other deaths on the island, writing: "What if I told you that since we lost Hannah there have been many more suspicious deaths on Koh Tao.

"You probably haven't heard of them all, as not all were British nationals. The deaths, where possible, are covered up as suicides and accidents.

"This would have happened with Hannah, if it had not been for the hideous brutality of her passing."

"

And the whole point of the Anonymous video she gave a link to was to show how this investigation was a joke and that the wrong people are behind bars, if she gave the link, she most probably shares this view...

Where in the paragraph does she defend the b2, say anything about them being innocent, say the police investigation is faulty or the court verdict is wrong. As I have pointed out, when referring to the video, she clearly states that there have been other suspicious deaths passed off as suicides (in her opinion ) with no investigation and no arrests. She then goes on to say this would have happened to hannah if her case was not so brutal. Meaning, Hannah's death was investigated and there were arrests made due to public pressure and the brutality of the crime. clearly, when she refers to the video, she is talking about the other deaths on the island, and attempting to warn people of the dangers. Absolutely no reference in there that she supports the b2.

The video (like the defense ) uses all manner of irrelevant information to take scrutiny off the b2 and their outlandish story. As I said. There is not a single quote from anyone in either family that supports the b2.

I think it is wrong to over-analyse her statement on travelling to Thailand, as she has lost a child in the most evil circumstances. Quite possibly this lady would have warned her daughter against backpacking in Mexico too. She has great courage in dealing with her loss, I think that any comments should be taken in this context.

Obviously all sane people wish that these two young people were still walking around today, enjoying their lives and contributing to our world. That includes all sane people in Thailand, or any other nation.

I really don't see Thailand as a dangerous place to visit. Most Thai people are famously good-hearted, friendly and welcoming to foreigners. As I've said before, Thai people have saved my life numerous times, when I have gone into epileptic seizure, Thais who are complete strangers to me, have dropped their bags in the street and run over to help me, and got me to hospital ASAP, sometimes in their own cars to save time. My home is filled with books and trinkets that ordinary Thais have given me, again complete strangers, the kind-hearted and generous nature of Thai people is on display in my bookshelves and cabinets.

The other point is that local communities in big cities, and the well-policed urban areas, are usually safer in most parts of the world. Recent studies showing increases in drunken random violence in remote rural parts of the UK, coupled with the remoteness itself and the ownership of land by a handful of families, has made many city people more wary of travelling there. This is not a slur against rural people at all, only that many travellers do feel safer travelling through cities, where they feel that they are surrounded by more people who share a similar worldview, and in many cases they find it easier to transit, relate and integrate in those urban communities. Out in the sticks the rules are often very different, and this applies to every nation on Earth, including the UK, where it is "a local shop, for local people" etc. in some cases. I think it is wrong to bundle a whole nation into some kind of bracket, far better to understand the varied communities in every nation, and to carefully plan any solo or duo travelling based on that knowledge.

It's an absolute travesty of justice that the wrong people are behind bars for the Murder of Hannah Witheridge, whilst the real murderers (members of the Koh Tao mafia family and their goons) are walking around laughing in the face (and making fun) of justice. Laura Witheridge made it absolutely clear that she feels the same way when she made her Facebook post and included a link to the Anonymous Koh Tao video. Certain posters know this, but persist in trying to mislead public perception for some strange reason.

And that same poster persists with their outrageous attempt to twist the meaning of Laura Witheridge's Facebook post. One really has to wonder why rolleyes.gif .

"

"

Where in the paragraph does she defend the b2, say anything about them being innocent, say the police investigation is faulty or the court verdict is wrong. As I have pointed out, when referring to the video, she clearly states that there have been other suspicious deaths passed off as suicides (in her opinion ) with no investigation and no arrests. She then goes on to say this would have happened to hannah if her case was not so brutal. Meaning, Hannah's death was investigated and there were arrests made due to public pressure and the brutality of the crime. clearly, when she refers to the video, she is talking about the other deaths on the island, and attempting to warn people of the dangers. Absolutely no reference in there that she supports the b2.

The video (like the defense ) uses all manner of irrelevant information to take scrutiny off the b2 and their outlandish story. As I said. There is not a single quote from anyone in either family that supports the b2.

And as footnote, I would like to say that in my mind thailand is a beautiful place, and the people have always been lovely to me (except for my neighbour ).with the limited resources that the police have, in this case they did a pretty good job. It does upset me that when they do get it right (as in this case ) nobody says a word.

I do however believe they have half the group that participated in this crime and would like to see others prosecuted.

Suspects in my opinion are Sean, Muang Muang the dj, Muang Muang the motorbike and yes, mon.

All one had to see to understand something is not 'right' about the murders and subsequent police enquiry was the 'uncle' of a suspect and brother of the headman walking about on the crime scene with the police immediately the murders were reported. It is there in what is perhaps one of the first photos used by the press.

Nobody with an open mind can possibly support or assert justice was served on that island.

"

"

Where in the paragraph does she defend the b2, say anything about them being innocent, say the police investigation is faulty or the court verdict is wrong. As I have pointed out, when referring to the video, she clearly states that there have been other suspicious deaths passed off as suicides (in her opinion ) with no investigation and no arrests. She then goes on to say this would have happened to hannah if her case was not so brutal. Meaning, Hannah's death was investigated and there were arrests made due to public pressure and the brutality of the crime. clearly, when she refers to the video, she is talking about the other deaths on the island, and attempting to warn people of the dangers. Absolutely no reference in there that she supports the b2.The video (like the defense ) uses all manner of irrelevant information to take scrutiny off the b2 and their outlandish story. As I said. There is not a single quote from anyone in either family that supports the b2.

And as footnote, I would like to say that in my mind thailand is a beautiful place, and the people have always been lovely to me (except for my neighbour ).with the limited resources that the police have, in this case they did a pretty good job. It does upset me that when they do get it right (as in this case ) nobody says a word.

I do however believe they have half the group that participated in this crime and would like to see others prosecuted.

Suspects in my opinion are Sean, Muang Muang the dj, Muang Muang the motorbike and yes, mon.

You can't say that with a straight face... the police did a good job on this one ???

A few things that many consider as not really up to standards :

> Suspects (and other migrants) were tortured and had no lawyer, their interview wasn't recorded, the translators were far from professional

> they didn't ask for real forensics to analyze the crime scene (the hoe wasn't tested until the trial, the blood in the sand has never been analyzed)

> The whole DNA analysis could have been really damning if they had been conducted professionally, they are unreliable because of all the mistakes (some proably deliberate)

> some evidence was lost (the victims clothes for god's sake... the blond hair...)

> some CCTV was considered irrelevant

> a taxi driver was asked to lie and be a witness and beaten when he refused

Just a few elements to contradict your claim that they did a great job on this investigation.

I agree with you though on one important thing : all the culprits are not behind bars and probably won't be and I don't call that justice for this awful crime...

Even if the B2 were implicated, I can't be sure they really did more than be here at the wrong time, there is no irrefutable evidence in this, and you need that for a death sentence, don't you think? just a strong suspicion isn't enough really.

Edited by fab99

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind, that the b2 raped that young lady and tried to conceal their crime. Not one ounce of doubt left in my mind.

Good for you, but sorry for not being convinced by your position given the fact that :

> You said that the police did a great job (but you admitted only half the culprits were behind the bars... contradictory...) and almost every one is sure of the contrary, it has been criticised countless times for the clear reasons I gave a few posts ago

> You had the completely opposite view a while ago, supporting the B2 and if I remember correctly wanting to raise money for them. We will see how you feel in a few months...

Don't take it bad, but your credibility isn't very high...

Edited by fab99

Hannah's sister Laura is clearly fully aware of most of the stuff that went on that didn't make it to the trial now that she's seen the Anonymous video. Things such as Uncle Mon spending nearly an hour at the crime scene, moving stuff around and 'tidying up' before calling the island's senior police officer will have confirmed to her that he was, at best, heavily involved in the cover up. Laura clearly hasn't been suckered by the RTP lies and falsifications, unlike others. And she refused their blood money.

I think it is wrong to over-analyse her statement on travelling to Thailand, as she has lost a child in the most evil circumstances. Quite possibly this lady would have warned her daughter against backpacking in Mexico too. She has great courage in dealing with her loss, I think that any comments should be taken in this context.

Obviously all sane people wish that these two young people were still walking around today, enjoying their lives and contributing to our world. That includes all sane people in Thailand, or any other nation.

I really don't see Thailand as a dangerous place to visit. Most Thai people are famously good-hearted, friendly and welcoming to foreigners. As I've said before, Thai people have saved my life numerous times, when I have gone into epileptic seizure, Thais who are complete strangers to me, have dropped their bags in the street and run over to help me, and got me to hospital ASAP, sometimes in their own cars to save time. My home is filled with books and trinkets that ordinary Thais have given me, again complete strangers, the kind-hearted and generous nature of Thai people is on display in my bookshelves and cabinets.

The other point is that local communities in big cities, and the well-policed urban areas, are usually safer in most parts of the world. Recent studies showing increases in drunken random violence in remote rural parts of the UK, coupled with the remoteness itself and the ownership of land by a handful of families, has made many city people more wary of travelling there. This is not a slur against rural people at all, only that many travellers do feel safer travelling through cities, where they feel that they are surrounded by more people who share a similar worldview, and in many cases they find it easier to transit, relate and integrate in those urban communities. Out in the sticks the rules are often very different, and this applies to every nation on Earth, including the UK, where it is "a local shop, for local people" etc. in some cases. I think it is wrong to bundle a whole nation into some kind of bracket, far better to understand the varied communities in every nation, and to carefully plan any solo or duo travelling based on that knowledge.

You've made some good points in your post. I think I can agree to a great extent about people feeling safer in a crowded city more than in isolated locations. However, If a major incident, such as a murder(s) happens on say, a remote Thai island like Koh Tao, or anywhere else in the Samui archipelago, it is likely that local 'influences' will colour the outcome. Also, we would be foolish to underestimate the importance of the tourist $ to the Thai economy, and anything likely to lessen such revenue is quickly 'whitewashed' by TAT, as being nothing for potential tourists to worry about.

IMO the most significant similarity regarding the suspicious deaths of several tourists on Koh Tao over the last couple of years is the claim that there were no witnesses. How convenient for the felons to be able to perpetrate crimes and then be able to stage a cover-up, when there are allegedly no witnesses. There can't possibly be witnesses to these crimes, because any witness would likely be implicated, due to the times and places of the deaths.

Whilst it's fine to keep in mind what happens elsewhere in the world, this thread is after all about the Witherige family and the tragic loss of Laura. If you are in any doubt about what I've written regarding local 'influences' and the mercenary utterings of TAT, I suggest you go back and read some of the media coverage of events on Koh Tao for the 2 months following 15th September 2014.

Edited by joebrown

You've made some good points in your post. I think I can agree to a great extent about people feeling safer in a crowded city more than in isolated locations. However, If a major incident, such as a murder(s) happens on say, a remote Thai island like Koh Tao, or anywhere else in the Samui archipelago, it is likely that local 'influences' will colour the outcome. Also, we would be foolish to underestimate the importance of the tourist $ to the Thai economy, and anything likely to lessen such revenue is quickly 'whitewashed' by TAT, as being nothing for potential tourists to worry about.

IMO the most significant similarity regarding the suspicious deaths of several tourists on Koh Tao over the last couple of years is the claim that there were no witnesses. How convenient for the felons to be able to perpetrate crimes and then be able to stage a cover-up, when there are allegedly no witnesses. There can't possibly be witnesses to these crimes, because any witness would likely be implicated, due to the times and places of the deaths.

Whilst it's fine to keep in mind what happens elsewhere in the world, this thread is after all about the Witherige family and the tragic loss of Laura. If you are in any doubt about what I've written regarding local 'influences' and the mercenary utterings of TAT, I suggest you go back and read some of the media coverage of events on Koh Tao for the 2 months following 15th September 2014.

If you haven't read it already, this article was written by someone who knows what he is talking about and describes the mafia on the island and the threats he has received since he expressed his views :

http://mikeestravels.com/2014/09/25/the-dark-side-of-thailands-island-paradise/

A must read for anyone wanting to go to Koh Tao.

I provide it to those I know who are thinking about going there, as well as better alternative in Thailand or close countries, I do what I can to keep the people I care about safe and prevent them to give their money to people who had even the most remote role in this bestial crime.

Hannah's sister Laura is clearly fully aware of most of the stuff that went on that didn't make it to the trial now that she's seen the Anonymous video. Things such as Uncle Mon spending nearly an hour at the crime scene, moving stuff around and 'tidying up' before calling the island's senior police officer will have confirmed to her that he was, at best, heavily involved in the cover up. Laura clearly hasn't been suckered by the RTP lies and falsifications, unlike others. And she refused their blood money.

It wasn't blood money at all. The Thai government has a fund that they felt was necessary,to provide assistance to people that are the victims and or their families of violent crime. The money course does not take away the pain, but is to assist in funeral expenses, air fares, hospital bills, travel expenses. My country does the same thing when a visitor to my country is injured , especially through crime. Considering that the family complained about all the help the b2 were getting and felt they deserved similar assistance. I was surprised by the way this victim assistance was used as another assault against the thai people, when their only intention was to assist a broken family. Let's be honest now shall we.

Edited by greenchair

It wasn't blood money at all. The Thai government has a fund that they felt was necessary,to provide assistance to people that are the victims and or their families of violent crime. The money course does not take away the pain, but is to assist in funeral expenses, air fares, hospital bills, travel expenses. My country does the same thing when a visitor to my country is injured , especially through crime. Considering that the family complained about all the help the b2 were getting and felt they deserved similar assistance. I was surprised by the way this victim assistance was used as another assault against the thai people, when their only intention was to assist a broken family. Let's be honest now shall we.

"Let's be honest now shall we." Go ahead greenchair, we are all waiting.