Thai teachers pose as foreigners to teach English

webfact

Beware of Fake Foreigners with poor grammar to boot!

Beware GENUINE foreign English teachers whose grasp of the language is tenuous at best. There are plenty posting on TV. They're the ones who don't know the difference between 'there', they're' and 'their', 'compare to' instead of 'compare with', any myriad other gross misuses of the language.

And about 94.24% of thai people can't even correctly pronounce words like english. Your point?

I honestly don't know what you're trying to say about the 94.24%, etc., and that's not a put down, but my point is that if 'trained teachers' who have no idea of the basics, are passing on their 'knowledge', those being taught have ZERO hope of ever being able to communicate effectively in the English language, spoken or written.

The standard displayed by self confessef English teachers on TV is appalingly low....at best.

What hope does the recipient of that 'teaching' have??

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singaporeans teaching englishhahahahahahaha..now Ive heard it all.

I know Singaporeans who definitely master English better than you and I am sure of that. Stop being too condescending.

Exactly!! English is the first language of Singapore, although there are four official languages taught in schools. I've lived in Singapore, and knowing their quest for excellence, most would speak English better than most native English speakers, albeit with a peculiarly Singaporean accent.

I have just heard another. A young woman is going to take a course here enabling her at the end to teach English to small Thai children. She's from the UK, BUT she has such thick local accent, that I can hardly understand her. Will all the little Thais have a Cardiff accent?

When l lived in the Philippines a little girl(2-3 yo)used to play with my kids.

As she had no father she used to come to me for cuddles & liked to be carried & called me Daddy.

This made my own, same age daughter jealous of course.

Her English was non-existant, but l taught her to say "ee by gum" pronounced "ee bah goom".

An old Yorkshire saying! That was 35 years ago.

l wonder if she still remembers it!

I have just heard another. A young woman is going to take a course here enabling her at the end to teach English to small Thai children. She's from the UK, BUT she has such thick local accent, that I can hardly understand her. Will all the little Thais have a Cardiff accent?

When l lived in the Philippines a little girl(2-3 yo)used to play with my kids.

As she had no father she used to come to me for cuddles & liked to be carried & called me Daddy.

This made my own, same age daughter jealous of course.

Her English was non-existant, but l taught her to say "ee by gum" pronounced "ee bah goom".

An old Yorkshire saying! That was 35 years ago.

l wonder if she still remembers it!

'ee by gum' yea that was smart just what she needed

Why you say like that? Can, lah! Don't talk cock, lah! We teach those Kayu boys good, lah!
All those lahs he must have been a scouser. They sbould have rumbled him.

They would if he had a dodgy perm and started nicking the wheels off the headmaster's car.

wow, thais trying to pretend to not be thais so they can teach english. Still will not make them able to speak and understand english though, if they are learning english in Thailand them they are still geting it wrong. If they are serious about learning english they need to attend a uni overseas where english is the first language, I have seen and heard thai teachers that are supposedly english teachers, what a joke, they have no idea. All this does is dumb down the students even more, they need real english teachers that have real experience with english not these pretend ones but then what else can we expect here.

I could comment about your English use... but that would just be cruel facepalm.gif

You nailed it, M biggrin.png

Some of the posts on this thread are remarkably racist, bigotted and arrogant but hey, what else is new, TITVF ....

The one that scorns Singaporean English (#11) is particularly unpleasant and reeks of post-Victorian attitude ... I have many Singaporean friends who speak English perfectly and with very little accent. On the other hand, when I hear some people (especially from UK and Australia) barking at the locals here with an incredibly heavy accent and without making the slightest effort to adjust because "hey, my language is the international language so how come these idiots don't make the effort to speak it properly?", I wonder how many of them teach English to Thai children ... and I know for a fact that some of them are teachers.

Then I have to remind myself that the Anglo/Irish culture also produced a number of literary geniuses, non of whom, unfortunately, can be seen on the barstools of this kingdom. At least not any more. What George Orwell wrote about British expats in 1934 (Burmese Days) was a shocking indictment of the English colonial behaviour and attitude, and obviously, 82 years later, that attitude is alive and well, thank you very much.

Edited by Yann55

A Cardiff accent would be much more preferable to a whiny, drawly American accent - which is what many English speaking Asian girls seem to end up with....

Thais continually tell me that they prefer the American accent and that everybody wants to learn American English.

wow, thais trying to pretend to not be thais so they can teach english. Still will not make them able to speak and understand english though, if they are learning english in Thailand them they are still geting it wrong. If they are serious about learning english they need to attend a uni overseas where english is the first language, I have seen and heard thai teachers that are supposedly english teachers, what a joke, they have no idea. All this does is dumb down the students even more, they need real english teachers that have real experience with english not these pretend ones but then what else can we expect here.

Strewth, you have some balls to criticize others , given your appalling use of the English language in your post.
As, do you with, your incorrect placement of commas. Edited by PaullyW

lame

yeah pretty lame. Children are smart and if teachers play this Bonnie and Clyde Roll they only encourage kids to lie!

(this type of) lying is endemic here. it's part of the culture. white lies. steamed lies. sticky lies. fried lies.

Dam-n that's funny

Accent is not a huge problem. People who speak a language fluently and who are accustomed to dealing with non-native speakers or speakers with different accents will generally in short time be able to understand the accent.

Native Thai speakers of English generally have 2 major probelms:

1. speaking grammar such as word order, or, more commonly, leaving out words (articles, verb conjugations and time words, for example)

Speaker: "I not go."

Listener: " You will not go, or you did not go, or you cannot go or you should not go?" etc

2. speaking English in a very vague, Contextual manner mimicking how they would speak Thai

Ever hear Thais talk?

" Arai na? Arai na? Arai na? "

They speak in vague, indirect ways leaving the listener to interpret, question and reach consensus.

Compared to Thai which is highly contextual and very indirect, English is very precise and direct. Plenty of Thais can speak English with perfect grammar but still often fail to be understood.

Thai is a language that developed not primarily to efficiently exchange information but to build consensus and to have many mechanisms in place for speaker and listener to save face/embarrassment.

" Chai mai khrap? Chai mai khrap? Chai mai khrap? "

Edited by PaullyW

Just let the thai do what they do best.

Copy the one who got it right, and do it best.

Bunch of wannabee's.

Ps: prove that work with telling lies Exually might work. So typical Thai. Lie your self up into the world hoping you get out of be a third world country without loosing face, wow.

Strewth, you have some balls to criticize others , given your appalling use of the English language in your post.

A Cardiff accent would be much more preferable to a whiny, drawly American accent - which is what many English speaking Asian girls seem to end up with....

Thais continually tell me that they prefer the American accent and that everybody wants to learn American English.

Oh dear, so the boy who is currently doing 10 press ups (and one for the King), for calling it a "candy store" not a "sweetshop" was right after all!

Oh dear!

NB: I jest - before the chorus of condemnation!

Shadychris, on 09 Feb 2016 - 04:53, said:
Gillyflower, on 09 Feb 2016 - 04:46, said:

you know you keep talking like that your whiney american wife is going to leave you and then whose going to do your beer runs for you?? ya, i bet you never thought that one through . . . . eh?

There was nothing to think through. She's not a whiny American, and nor does she even have a whiny American accent. I haven't lost the use of my legs yet - if I need beer I go and get it myself anyway. Unlike some (maybe yourself included?) I don't regard my wife as a servant to fetch and carry for me.

It's hilarious and pathetic to read people who are unilingual, have never learned any language and if they did, are unable to make one sentence criticizing people about their abilities in their second or third language. Typical TV ignorant crowd. Thanks god, there is more rational minority here.

Beware real foreigners with poor grammar to boot.

I have a Dutch acquaintance who pulls in about 100,000B/month giving English lessons to small groups of Thai uni. students in his home.

I cringe every time I meet him by chance in town because I can't understand the man.

Those poor, unsuspecting students.

Beware real foreigners with poor grammar to boot.

I have a Dutch acquaintance who pulls in about 100,000B/month giving English lessons to small groups of Thai uni. students in his home.

I cringe every time I meet him by chance in town because I can't understand the man.

Those poor, unsuspecting students.

Probably laying the occasional cutie to boot! The miracle of Thailand where all a person needs is a nice smile Edited by PaullyW

Singaporeans teaching englishhahahahahahaha..now Ive heard it all.

I know Singaporeans who definitely master English better than you and I am sure of that. Stop being too condescending.

Exactly!! English is the first language of Singapore, although there are four official languages taught in schools. I've lived in Singapore, and knowing their quest for excellence, most would speak English better than most native English speakers, albeit with a peculiarly Singaporean accent.

Their accent sucks though