Cheap monthly apartment/studio/condo etc

Sagebomb

Hey Everyone.

First of all thanks for all the information I have been able to gleam from you whilst lurking in the shadows. Last year I spent two months hanging out in Chiang Mai, and am looking for something kind of same same but different.

After seeing the plant/insect thread, how could I say no to Chiang Rai. Whilst Im sure such awesome things are all around, the clear passion people have for getting close to bugs really draws me in.

I am still in the research/planning stage, but would probally be looking for two months based in one city again. Mainly I am looking for a place where I can "chill" and things are within walking distance. (When I was in Chiang Mai I walked the 18km from Galae thong to Doi Suthep and then back a slightly longer way, which is something I consider to be walking distance). I know I can bike, but I like to walk, and the heat in june wasnt so bad.

Key things I want is somewhere where I can rent a private room/bathroom with wifi, preferably within 20 mins walk of a gym which has a good ammount of free weights + a squat rack (the rest of gym modcons I can take or leave) and within 30 mins walk of good street/non-street food of the "any" variety (though a good range within 10 mins is awesome). As someone with good student debt I am still looking basically as cheap as possible. But I am not the party/high social type, so quieter places are also preferred.

If the places you recomend have a website/fb thats a bonus.

Feel free to sell, or disuade me on Chiang Rai, but for now it looks like a pretty awesome place to spend a couple months. I would be looking around may-june.

Thank you to anyone who gave this as much as a side ways glance.

I'd suggest the Condotel, they advertise rooms 5000-8000 a month, have a 24 hour convenience store and also a reasonable priced cafe.

A walk to town would be well under 30 minutes.

Not sure about the gym but it has a pool.

In a slightly older area there's a few hotels on Ruamchittawai Road behind the public hospital, I knew a guy living there in one for 4300 a month,,, Mayas???...

Many student nurses live around here so there is an abundance of cheap Thai food and it's a few minutes walk to the main street.

I'd suggest the Condotel, they advertise rooms 5000-8000 a month, have a 24 hour convenience store and also a reasonable priced cafe.

In a slightly older area there's a few hotels on Ruamchittawai Road behind the public hospital, I knew a guy living there in one for 4300 a month,,, Mayas???...

Many student nurses live around here so there is an abundance of cheap Thai food and it's a few minutes walk to the main street.

DITTO excellent advice.

Awesome advice, thanks kindly.

@Pom Thanks for the seconding.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the OP is still checking but was told today that the new apartments next to Big C are starting at 7000 a month.

Is that the huge hotel-looking building? If so, it looks nice and modern. Lots of decent condo complexes going up at the moment it seems.

Edited by Bardeh

Not sure if the OP is still checking but was told today that the new apartments next to Big C are starting at 7000 a month.

Yep, I am contracted here til the end of april, so wont be travelling till after that. Though generally I like to sort things out a couple months before going if I can. (Although flexible if things change).

Thanks for the advice. Does the complex have a name?

Cheers.

None that I've noticed sorry.

I suspect that it will be directed at the Thai market and people involved will use that language almost exclusively.

I'll try to check this week, if there is a sign outside with a phone number I'll post it.

Thats cool, I really appreciate your help ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

So update and another question.

I will be flying into Thailand on the 25th of April. Normally I like to know where I am staying initially before I go. But it seems many of the condo'y type places dont have online contacts (or havent replied to general enquiries). Is it more normal to just rock up to a place and negotiate a stay on arrival, or is that quite risky in terms of not finding one. I dont mind if I have to try a few different places on the day I arrive. (Like for condotel I can see a general phone number, and then what looks like several subletters on different websites (flipkey, airbnb etc), but with prices mostly from 14k/m up.

Thanks again everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

So update and another question.

I will be flying into Thailand on the 25th of April. Normally I like to know where I am staying initially before I go. But it seems many of the condo'y type places dont have online contacts (or havent replied to general enquiries). Is it more normal to just rock up to a place and negotiate a stay on arrival, or is that quite risky in terms of not finding one. I dont mind if I have to try a few different places on the day I arrive. (Like for condotel I can see a general phone number, and then what looks like several subletters on different websites (flipkey, airbnb etc), but with prices mostly from 14k/m up.

Thanks again everyone.

Yep, this is the easiest way to do it. Find a reasonably priced hotel for a night or two, rent a bike so you can get around town, and then arrange to view some. This has the bonus of allowing you to get a feel for the town and the location you'd prefer to be in. Don't worry about not finding somewhere - there's plenty of places, and more under construction all the time.