First extension of retirement visa

mtroutman49

Would there be any negative consequences with Immigration if I was out of the country when the date of current O-A visa expires as I need to be out of Chiangmai, Thailand more than 45 days before expiration date. I know I would have to start again with an O visa and convert it at 90 days to an O-A. The first go through went smoothly without any problems at all. I really just wondering if Immigration would hassle me because I let my first O-A expire. Anyone have experience with a similar situation?

You did not obtain an O-A visa from immigration so believe you mean one year extension of stay using a TM.7 form and no there would not be any problem doing again once here on a new non immigrant O visa entry. People do have such issues - or forget to obtain a re-entry permit - and have to start over all the time so nothing unusual.

I know I would have to start again with an O visa and convert it at 90 days to an O-A.

A non-imm O-A is a visa and is only obtainable at a Thai embassy in your home country or country of legal residence. Visas cannot be extended.

As said above, you apparently obtained an extension of stay based on retirement (not a visa) at an immigration office in Thailand. If you are out of the country when it expires, including the 45 days before it expires, then you just start over again with a non-imm O visa entry and you apply for a new extension of stay based on retirement during the last 30 day of the visa entry at your immigration office. They won't care one way or the other. No problem.

Just remember the money in the bank and/or income certificate from your embassy will be required again when you apply for the extension ... the same as you must have done before. And since it is an extension of stay, not a visa, once you get it, if you want to travel in and out of the country during its validity, you'll need a re-entry permit.

I am trying to use the right terminology for "Visa speak" but I get so many different versions I don't know which is correct. What I do know is I got an non-immigration "O" visa when I came to Thailand last May. After approx. 90 days I downloaded the forms on "Don's life in Thailand" website. Followed directions I found there (Thanks Don) and without an Visa assist company carried my paperwork to the Promenada and was able to get a "retirement" stamp in my passport that was good for a year on my first attempt. That said; I may not use the correct terminology for some on TV but Immigration gave me what I applied for. So thanks for all your positive comments I'm learning much about Immigration procedures and the types of people who respond to someone trying to learn the ropes. Michael........;)

It was stated elsewhere, that if you show them a plane ticket that you will be away during the 45 day renewal window; they will let you renew early. Can vary by the office/officer and, of course, the wind direction. You will still need a re-entry permit. Why not do things the easy way, and change your plans a little? A funeral? They won'y miss you. A wedding? might as well be a funeral. Graduation? maybe they will be able to get a job in the Peace Corps and then they can come see you. Next.