Thai Village Noise, Finally Had Enough.

PostmanPat

It is interesting how little the Thais feel about other people. Be it letting their dogs out to shit in front of the neighbors' house (repeatedly) to the same dogs barking incessantly to cranking up the music volume to mind-numbing levels, there seems to be no limit to the lack of concern for their fellow man.

If I were challenged repeatedly by noise and could not have the offenders desist, I would have to move. Life is too short (retired or otherwise) to live under a cloud of anger and frustration (and sonic punishment).

By the way, on the BASS note (no pun intended), a few weeks back there was a thunderous THUMPING bass coming from across the wooded area in the back of my house. It was really loud, but it was in the afternoon and these thing around here are rare, but just to see where exactly it was coming from, I motored over to the source. It was the next, very small mooban over and when I pulled up, I was surprised to find that the music actually was not nearly as loud as it was in my side yard, some 200 meters or so away. Something about the very low bass and the acoustics of the area was serving to modulate the sound. I was genuinely surprised.

Probably because you could also hear the higher freqs at the source makes it pleasanter.

By the time it reaches your house all the higher freqs have been attenuated which leaves just the bass rumble to go marching on. It passes through concrete AND earplugs as though they aren't there. It's the laws of physics cap'n.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend is teaching in Colombia and told me the one thing you do not give a Colombian is an ink-pad and a stamp. They will build their whole careers around issuing their stamp. He then asked me what was the one thing you wouldn't want a Thai to have. I told him that it was pretty close, but you would regret any Thai having a whistle, bullhorn, or PA System. That still does not recognize dogs or motorcycles with special exhausts...so perhaps it is anything that makes noise.

"He then asked me what was the one thing you wouldn't want a Thai to have".

What about a uniform?

Okay ... call to prayer... whether it is lovely or not is personal perception ... I find it grating and intrusive. If only the Mosque was blaring out the noise it might be okay as the Mosque is 1/2 kilometer away. It is just that the Muslims have strung wire and hung loud speakers on power polls that 1/2 K. Distance.. All done without authorization ... just pushing their practices on the non Muslim community

Get a pair of wire cutters, you don't need authorization to cut the wires, just make sure they don't see you.

....you will never win....

For those who say noise won't be annoying at 2km better think again. Low freqs can travel some distance before being attenuated by the earth. I can't hear any music or singing at my place just the steady, mind-numbing beat of the bass.

Anyone who isn't affected by that is either extremely insensitive, permanently whiffled or deaf IMHO.

As a Brit I find that a touch of Gilbert & Sullivan improves my mood, and brings culture to the village at the same time, too ! rolleyes.gif

But I draw-the-line at going karaoking myself, even the geckos complain, when I sing in the shower !

No appreciation for music, some lizards ! tongue.png

Good to know there's at least one more G & S fan on here.

Out here in Central Isaan we get the loud fireworks that announce a death, these can be any time of the day or night. This is followed by a wake that involves loud music and roads closed outside the family home. The music often goes on until the early hours, with amplifiers turned up beyond the capability of the speakers resulting in distortion, mind you it improves the karaoke quality!

It used to disturb my sleep, but you soon filter out the noise, as I did with the noisy VC10's of 101 Sqn at Brize Norton, struggling to get a tanker full of fuel into the sky at silly o'clock in the morning.

Get over the anger and you'll soon find yourself sleeping through it.

I used to live in Bampton and Witney...I hear ya!!

Okay ... call to prayer... whether it is lovely or not is personal perception ... I find it grating and intrusive. If only the Mosque was blaring out the noise it might be okay as the Mosque is 1/2 kilometer away. It is just that the Muslims have strung wire and hung loud speakers on power polls that 1/2 K. Distance.. All done without authorization ... just pushing their practices on the non Muslim community

Get a pair of wire cutters, you don't need authorization to cut the wires, just make sure they don't see you.

l have done this.

Gives great satisfaction until they find the break.

As you said though, don't be seen!

I have always been susceptible to noise rage.

These are the only things that work for me.

Accept no substitutes.

Www.earplugsonline.com

Seems the same as boots (wax+ cotton) you can sometimes find them here for 105 baht, have them in almost permanently, it's the molding to the ear that makes them better

Does complaining about it in ThaiVisa make it go away?

There seem to be two choices; live with it. Or move away from it. You sure as hell ain't gonna stop it.

That is a true statement. Good to know though that it isn't only the Thai wife and me that it bothers.

Just like to add that I mamage to sleep ok regardless. I wear earplug type phones listening to classical music on my ipad which I tuck under the pillow.

It's the rest of the time that I have the problem.

For those who say noise won't be annoying at 2km better think again. Low freqs can travel some distance before being attenuated by the earth. I can't hear any music or singing at my place just the steady, mind-numbing beat of the bass.

Anyone who isn't affected by that is either extremely insensitive, permanently whiffled or deaf IMHO.

Really heavy bass sounds can be felt (but not heard) even by deaf people. biggrin.png

Really heavy bass sounds can be felt (but not heard) even by deaf people. biggrin.png

That's that theory out the window then!

There seem to be two choices; live with it. Or move away from it. You sure as hell ain't gonna stop it.

Doesn't make it go away, but venting can make a person feel better

My pet hate in village life is the giant ghost chaser kites. The bloke next door launches one very evening at this time of year and ties it off when it is about 100 metres up in the air. He then leaves it to moan and warble away all night.

l have done this.

Put a pin through both wires and snip it off so it's flush with the sleeving. They'll never find it.

Ok, Thanks all for your "helpful and sympathetic" (Not!) responses. Its morning now and gone. I suppose my post last night was borne out of the frustration of just how loud this was. Honestly, it wasnt just the usual village event, I m used to those, I ve been here eleven years, this one last night was ramped up to a noise level where you could hardly hear the telly on full volume, and it was across an open field from me so perhaps I was the nearest "Falang" house to this "evening of entertainment".

If this had been in the UK, the "noise abatement" authority would have gone in and turned it down ( they forced a Bruce Springsteen concert in a stadium to reduce the volume last year!) but of course, no such authority exists here.

So, apologies for my grumpiness last night, but it really was a lot more awful than it normally is !!!!

Know actually what you're talking about.

Been to a number of Issan parties and you cannot hear your self think. Not going again it does go beyond the point of rudeness

My pet hate in village life is the giant ghost chaser kites. The bloke next door launches one very evening at this time of year and ties it off when it is about 100 metres up in the air. He then leaves it to moan and warble away all night.

Never heard of this.... Where do you live? Isaan? In any case, do you know what those kites are called in Thai / Lao?

Many thanks!

I think I get your point as I have noticed the same thing out here in Isaan. What you are talking about is more than just noise. Unless you are a veteran of front line combat, most people on this forum have not yet encountered anything as loud in their lives as what we get in our village since about a year ago. No exaggeration. Earplugs are like a anthill facing a tsunami. There are now some newer extremely high powered amps and speakers rented out or sold to various people who want to have a big party. The volume has literally has contributed to the deaths of two people, according to people in our village, a new born infant and an old woman and maybe more as they just carry on and have new parties with the same lethally loud speakers, in fact the Amphur office are the worst offenders. Imagine having a large jet plane parked in the middle of a tiny village firing all engines for 9-15 hours. They are using sound systems meant for very loud concerts and very large stadiums for backyard sized parties. If there are some international health organizations who might read this and that might be interested to have a look and write about the new enormous levels of loud noise weapons systems being deployed against the Thai peasantry and probably people in many other countries world wide please do, no doubt most of the children in my village are suffering massive hearing loss and probably internal organ damage.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman

@ Shaunduhpostman

I agree with all you say. I have seen some elderly people visibly age when their neighbours' parties go on for 5 days and up to 20 hours per day. I am also convinced that the stress of the noise contributed to their deaths. So then their family holds another loud party!

In October, fireworks are let off at all times of day and night almost continuously. Sometimes it just seems a competition to waste money in order to get the loudest bang! In October 2014, I saw this women in the village carrying her new born baby and you could see the baby jumping and crying at the loud bangs. The next day, the baby was dead. I don't know the reason for the death, but I wouldn't be surprised if the stress from the noise contributed.

I would get used to wearing ear plugs....seriously

I have done that myself.

One ear plug in one ear and the other ear no ear plug ...but pillow side down and the noise was barely audible.....or you may find earplugs in both ears works well

Slept just fine.

The small rubber like ones that are shaped like a Xmas tree are the best ones as the foam type ear plugs expand too much inside the ear ( there designed to do that ) and eventually become to uncomfortable.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Ok, Thanks all for your "helpful and sympathetic" (Not!) responses. Its morning now and gone. I suppose my post last night was borne out of the frustration of just how loud this was. Honestly, it wasnt just the usual village event, I m used to those, I ve been here eleven years, this one last night was ramped up to a noise level where you could hardly hear the telly on full volume, and it was across an open field from me so perhaps I was the nearest "Falang" house to this "evening of entertainment".

If this had been in the UK, the "noise abatement" authority would have gone in and turned it down ( they forced a Bruce Springsteen concert in a stadium to reduce the volume last year!) but of course, no such authority exists here.

So, apologies for my grumpiness last night, but it really was a lot more awful than it normally is !!!!

Turning down The Boss is a crime.

Doesn't make it go away, but venting can make a person feel better

Yeh but do they clean up after themselves?

Edited by Dante99

You have answered your own problem. Move to the UK

that wasn't so hard now was it?

Ah... He's "attacking"/criticizing Thailand, so he should Go Home To His Own Country. Classic ThaiVisa comment from an angry old man with nothing better to do than rack up his post count with nonsense posts.

There are plenty of them i see many times at late at night posts

I guess nothing to do

Not like me im a early riser to do my cycling

What amazes me is why people don't 'go home" as they obviously can't hack it here.Life is to short to be angry and miserable all the time.

l have done this.

Put a pin through both wires and snip it off so it's flush with the sleeving. They'll never find it.

cant you get electrocuted that way ?