PM Prayut orders crackdown on Phuket's rude, cheating, violent taxi, van drivers

webfact

What the hell ... just let Phuket die.

I'm afraid I second that statement.

I've been to Phuket 3 times and every time I felt like I was trapped in some big tourist-milking machine. 90% of the Thais I met there were unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful ... at best. At worst, their behaviour was downright aggressive, and all about 'give me your cash or get the hell outta here, I've got better things to do and I hate farangs anyway'. Soooooo different from what I experienced in other parts of Thailand, including Pattaya (and yes, Pattaya tends to go down that road too now, well I guess we have a number of politicians to thank for that, since farang-phobia is the one thing they all seem to agree upon, regardless of their 'color').

My last visit to Phuket was 10 years ago. I can only imagine what it's like now, because there's no way it could have gotten any better. Even if I was given a free ticket and free stay in a 4-star Phuket hotel I would not go back to that island, and I'm not kidding. The one thing I do NOT understand is why so many white tourists still think it's a 'cool destination'. Beautiful beaches may be beautiful, pristine waters may be pristine, but if you're surrounded by unpleasant people who make you feel like a stupid cash cow, what's the important factor at the end of the day ?

I do not recognise the place you claim to have visited 3 times !

I have only lived in Phuket for 10 years, am married to a Thai lady and have never met the 90% of Thais, that again you claim, mistreated you.

Best you do stay away !

Maybe you haven't met them because you are not a tourist. Tourists have a big sign on their back that says, 'Take my money! and treat me poorly while you are doing it.' I have been here twelve years and when I was a tourist I experienced all the scams, swindles and bad behavior the post talks about. But as an expat I learned how to avoid most of it by moving to a residential district away from the tourist areas, acquiring my own vehicles to avoid the transport scams, buying real stuff in real stores and using my accumulated experiences to avoid the more blatant rip-offs. My wife helps me as well. I still get caught out occasionally; not very often. I wouldn't live in Phuket if I didn't have a life here already. Most tourists have no idea of how badly they are being treated. The ones who do will never come back.

More talk, but no action.

The Thai military should have dismantled the transport mafia, and encouraged private operators, at the same time they cleared beaches, but not even the military will touch this issue on Phuket.

Thus, leaving Phuket with no hope for public transport in the future, and in my opinion, leaving no hope for the future of Phuket's tourism industry.

The first bit of advice I tell potential tourists to Thailand is to keep well away from Phuket. It is a dangerous place.

The Thai military should have dismantled the transport mafia, and encouraged private operators, at the same time they cleared beaches, but not even the military will touch this issue on Phuket.

Thus, leaving Phuket with no hope for public transport in the future, and in my opinion, leaving no hope for the future of Phuket's tourism industry.

The first bit of advice I tell potential tourists to Thailand is to keep well away from Phuket. It is a dangerous place.

Same same here, my family did not feel safe in Phuket and will never return.

Complaints by tourists about Phuket taxi and van drivers being rude, deceiving, threatening rip-of

I take exception to that, what about Pattaya's taxi drivers ?

Pattaya is 100 times better in this regard than Phuket. 10 baht songteaows to musc of where you want to go. Taxi drivers all over Thailand try it on though. Even on the Thais. As a mate said once laughingly "it's in their DNA " (about taxi drivers, not Thais in general )

You won't get a metered taxi in Pattaya though, and I honestly reckon fair enough. The rates are not high enough to be fair to them.

I don't like risking my life on motorbike taxis, and don't want to risk drink driving so now have the number of one of the seven seater green and yellow taxis. I caught her once, and told if she gives me a good rate I would use her all the time. She did, so I do. Always shows up on time, is available 24/7 as her son drives the night shift, usually book her on LINE, sometimes call her, taxi is always spotless. They all have an app on their phones with a map of all the where all the other taxis from their company are. If she is busy doing an airport run so something, she sends somebody else, and no need to haggle price, just pay what I always pay.

I couldn't be happier with the arrangement.

She does have to pay a monthly bribe to the usual influential people for "parking". The motorbikes and songteaows all pay also, but at different rates.

Phuket to me also feels unfriendly and more racist than Pattaya. Beer way dearer, taxis way dearer, decent food way dearer, cheap Thai food way dearer and I just always feel hassled/hustled there. Maybe it would be different living there. Different Thais down there, a bit jai rorn, the southerners, compared to the north and north easterners you generally find in Pattaya, who IMO are a bit more relaxed GENERALLY SPEAKING.

Thanks Roo for the interesting and informative input.

I find your last paragraph particularly interesting because (and I'm sure you're very aware of that) it is in total contradiction with the preconceived ideas that Westerners in general have in the back of their minds about both places. The best way to test these clichés is to casually drop into a conversation, anywhere in the West (especially capitals of course, where people tend to think they know everything better), that you live in Pattaya. Or Phuket. And see what the reactions are.

The very mention of Pattaya is truly like throwing the proverbial sh*t on the fan. At best, your interlocutors will be confused, surprised and somewhat embarassed, at worst they will take your off their list of friends for ever. Phuket, on the other hand, will cause the listeners to experience a instant wave of nostalgic pleasure and you will clearly see in their eyes the white sand beaches with the coconut trees in the back ground. That's how strong and long-lasting clichés are.

Stereotypes are fascinating because they are full of truth and crap at the same time. Well, a lot more of the second, usually. The 'Phuket / Pattaya Test in the West' is something I recommend to everyone who lives here, as a little game to play when they go back home, because it's a bag of laughs and it teaches us a lot about how the human mind operates.

Edited by Yann55

In the office where I used to work was an accounting gal who had an "Uncle" at the Chalong police station. She once told me that the lower level guys who don't make a lot of money do these van and tuk-tuk jobs on the side. Also, the guys that wash out tend to take these jobs.

Thats why 90% are packing and you don't dare get into any rage conflict with them.

Oops, how does the governor feel knowing that not only is the junta peering over his shoulder they're now issuing ' do something ' orders ?

From his chauffeur driven car and police controlled traffic ahead of him, he feels their pain.

LOL ... or should it be : 'he feels their unhappiness' ?

I've been to Phuket 3 times and every time I felt like I was trapped in some big tourist-milking machine. 90% of the Thais I met there were unpleasant, unfriendly, unhelpful ... at best. At worst, their behaviour was downright aggressive, and all about 'give me your cash or get the hell outta here, I've got better things to do and I hate farangs anyway'. Soooooo different from what I experienced in other parts of Thailand, including Pattaya (and yes, Pattaya tends to go down that road too now, well I guess we have a number of politicians to thank for that, since farang-phobia is the one thing they all seem to agree upon, regardless of their 'color').

My last visit to Phuket was 10 years ago. I can only imagine what it's like now, because there's no way it could have gotten any better. Even if I was given a free ticket and free stay in a 4-star Phuket hotel I would not go back to that island, and I'm not kidding. The one thing I do NOT understand is why so many white tourists still think it's a 'cool destination'. Beautiful beaches may be beautiful, pristine waters may be pristine, but if you're surrounded by unpleasant people who make you feel like a stupid cash cow, what's the important factor at the end of the day ?

I have only lived in Phuket for 10 years, am married to a Thai lady and have never met the 90% of Thais, that again you claim, mistreated you.

Best you do stay away !

Maybe you haven't met them because you are not a tourist. Tourists have a big sign on their back that says, 'Take my money! and treat me poorly while you are doing it.' I have been here twelve years and when I was a tourist I experienced all the scams, swindles and bad behavior the post talks about. But as an expat I learned how to avoid most of it by moving to a residential district away from the tourist areas, acquiring my own vehicles to avoid the transport scams, buying real stuff in real stores and using my accumulated experiences to avoid the more blatant rip-offs. My wife helps me as well. I still get caught out occasionally; not very often. I wouldn't live in Phuket if I didn't have a life here already. Most tourists have no idea of how badly they are being treated. The ones who do will never come back.

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

As an expat living in Phuket, I too never experienced the "tourist problems." Being an expat in Phuket is fine but, being a tourist is a completely different world. I have a good friend in Pattaya and he says the same thing about that area also, sucks to be a tourist but fine to live there.

Maybe as a tourist one is more sensitive to what they see as harassment.

Example, coming out of Robinson's Phuket Town, the guys are right there, "Taxi ! " "Taxi !" but a mai ao, khap pom and smiles around and later I don't even remember that I was approached....

Same with the vendor down on the beach, pulling up to try and sell trinkets and sunglasses, maybe tourists are offended whereas someone who lives here makes conversation asks him how sales are (?), hot today(?), and carry on, no sweat.

The tourist that gripes about 180thb beer on Bangla and being ripped off could just as well pulled up a 45thb Tiger draft if they knew where to go.

Sure, different perspectives as a few posters have mentioned.

Complaints by tourists about Phuket taxi and van drivers being rude, deceiving, threatening rip-of

I take exception to that, what about Pattaya's taxi drivers ?

Pattaya is 100 times better in this regard than Phuket. 10 baht songteaows to musc of where you want to go. Taxi drivers all over Thailand try it on though. Even on the Thais. As a mate said once laughingly "it's in their DNA " (about taxi drivers, not Thais in general )

You won't get a metered taxi in Pattaya though, and I honestly reckon fair enough. The rates are not high enough to be fair to them.

I don't like risking my life on motorbike taxis, and don't want to risk drink driving so now have the number of one of the seven seater green and yellow taxis. I caught her once, and told if she gives me a good rate I would use her all the time. She did, so I do. Always shows up on time, is available 24/7 as her son drives the night shift, usually book her on LINE, sometimes call her, taxi is always spotless. They all have an app on their phones with a map of all the where all the other taxis from their company are. If she is busy doing an airport run so something, she sends somebody else, and no need to haggle price, just pay what I always pay.

I couldn't be happier with the arrangement.

She does have to pay a monthly bribe to the usual influential people for "parking". The motorbikes and songteaows all pay also, but at different rates.

Phuket to me also feels unfriendly and more racist than Pattaya. Beer way dearer, taxis way dearer, decent food way dearer, cheap Thai food way dearer and I just always feel hassled/hustled there. Maybe it would be different living there. Different Thais down there, a bit jai rorn, the southerners, compared to the north and north easterners you generally find in Pattaya, who IMO are a bit more relaxed GENERALLY SPEAKING.

Thanks Roo for the interesting and informative input.

I find your last paragraph particularly interesting because (and I'm sure you're very aware of that) it is in total contradiction with the preconceived ideas that Westerners in general have in the back of their minds about both places. The best way to test these clichés is to casually drop into a conversation, anywhere in the West (especially capitals of course, where people tend to think they know everything better), that you live in Pattaya. Or Phuket. And see what the reactions are.

The very mention of Pattaya is truly like throwing the proverbial sh*t on the fan. At best, your interlocutors will be confused, surprised and somewhat embarassed, at worst they will take your off their list of friends for ever. Phuket, on the other hand, will cause the listeners to experience a instant wave of nostalgic pleasure and you will clearly see in their eyes the white sand beaches with the coconut trees in the back ground. That's how strong and long-lasting clichés are.

Stereotypes are fascinating because they are full of truth and crap at the same time. Well, a lot more of the second, usually. The 'Phuket / Pattaya Test in the West' is something I recommend to everyone who lives here, as a little game to play when they go back home, because it's a bag of laughs and it teaches us a lot about how the human mind operates.

Dude that's altogether too true.

The reason I fell in love with Pattaya is because I'm from Florida. I grew up near a nice beach (Daytona), and I had discovered a virtually untapped Koh Larn in 2001 with bathtub clear water and almost deserted beaches (back then).

The hooker scene of Pattaya for me is like my dog when she comes inside.

First thing she does is go see if her food bowl has food. If it does, she's happy and ignores it.

Just knowing it's there if you need it is comforting though. I could mostly care less about the seedy side, being married to a pretty woman.

Baht buses 10 baht & motodops (who are usually quite safe and friendly) for 50 baht in Pattaya.

500 baht for a tuk-tuk in Phuket.

It's really not even the monetary amount. It's just the feeling of being ripped off at every turn.

First time I went to Phuket I had my wife with me, stayed at a 4 star hotel, and they wanted her to surrender her ID card.

I told them it ain't happening. They backed down.

I was 34 and she was 27, so it wasn't like a 65 year old checking in with an 18 year old.

The next day they didn't want to let her on the elevator with me. They wanted her ID card.

I went ballistic.

Nah, I never had any good experiences in Phuket.

As for Pattaya 'meter' taxis, they are the tuk-tuks of Pattaya. I thought it was the stupidest thing ever when they came into being, and I saw scam written all over them.

I have never used one.

Edited by jaywalker

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

As an expat living in Phuket, I too never experienced the "tourist problems." Being an expat in Phuket is fine but, being a tourist is a completely different world. I have a good friend in Pattaya and he says the same thing about that area also, sucks to be a tourist but fine to live there.

I agree - Spot On ... We expats tend to have our own transport, most have own homes or known good landlords. We know where to eat and shop where to get a fair price.

Fact of the matter naive tourists will get ripped off any where in the world ...

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

I agree - Spot On ... We expats tend to have our own transport, most have own homes or known good landlords. We know where to eat and shop where to get a fair price.

Fact of the matter naive tourists will get ripped off any where in the world ...

True enough.

Us expats living elsewhere in Thailand for a while visit Phuket and leave with a bad taste in our mouths...

I mean, if an old Pattaya (almost scam central) hand like me doesn't like the tourist side of Phuket, well, what else can I say?

Edited by jaywalker

I have a friend arriving tomorrow, he's been here before., not a bar hopper and staying in town. However he will have to hire a car, adding 1000 per day to his holiday due to affordability/lack of public transport(bike too dangerous for those who're not used to traffic on a yearly basis). This place is run not by 'mafia' but greedy thugs and morons and from my many personal dealings with those running the place (some would say into the ground), this is never going to change.

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

I don't completely agree.

Phuket is losing its fair share of expats these days to other parts of Thailand, not just tourists. These expats had their own transport here, had house / condo, some also had businesses, and they knew where to shop, eat and drink.

Also, expats living in other areas of Thailand, and visiting Phuket, leave with a low opinion of the place, vowing never to return.

So, it's obviously not just the rip offs and scams turning people.

The only way to handle the problems in Phuket, is to bring in the Army and instigate a complete lockdown on the whole Island (in low season of course). Anything less, is just a complete waste of time.

The Thai army can topple the Thai Government, but can't oust the Phuket transport mafia. cheesy.gif

Best you do stay away !

I went to Phuket once, 20 years ago - and I experienced the same thing as Yann55. For that reason, during my 20 years of living in Thailand, I never went to Phuket again - nor do I intend to.

If only there was crackdown olympics. Thinking ahead, they'd excel in a meaningless deadline games if there were such a thing.

If there's a simple solution to a problem, guaranteed they'll go about it the Thai way.

Why use a screw when nails are half the price!

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

Phuket is losing its fair share of expats these days to other parts of Thailand, not just tourists. These expats had their own transport here, had house / condo, some also had businesses, and they knew where to shop, eat and drink.

Also, expats living in other areas of Thailand, and visiting Phuket, leave with a low opinion of the place, vowing never to return.

I gotta say I'm one of those that left with a low opinion of the place. My wife and I visited Phuket last year. We met some rude people (and a few nice ones) and experienced some prices that seemed quite high. We didn't get scammed, but it wasn't for the lack of several people trying. One thing I really disliked was the appalling traffic and crowds of people everywhere we went. The beaches were okay, but not exceptional. We won't be going back.

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

I gotta say I'm one of those that left with a low opinion of the place. My wife and I visited Phuket last year. We met some rude people (and a few nice ones) and experienced some prices that seemed quite high. We didn't get scammed, but it wasn't for the lack of several people trying. One thing I really disliked was the appalling traffic and crowds of people everywhere we went. The beaches were okay, but not exceptional. We won't be going back.

Interesting comments. Define or give an example of an "exceptional beach? Surely it is only in the eye of the beholder or meets their expectations?

EXACTLY! SPOT ON!

You never stated your wife's nationality.

On Phuket, you will be treated more like a "farang" here than anywhere else in Thailand.

That said, if your wife is Thai, I would be interested in how she felt she was treated here, being a fellow Thai, particularly when she was not around you.