New crazy rule on Cigarette sales?

alocacoc

I just tried to bought a rod cigarette (10 boxes) at a 7/11 as i did many times before. The vendor told me, she could only sell 2 boxes. I asked her why, she answered; i don't know blink.png So i got somehow angry and finally i got my rod cigarettes. Is this really a new law? It wouldn't surprise me.

When the gov't announce that they are putting up tax on a certain date, suppliers hold back stock on which they've already paid duty so that they can sell it at the higher price and pocket the difference. This goes on all the way down the supply chain.

And more to the point, speculators will have been trying to buy up all the stock at the old price to sell at a profit.

I daresay this girl was probably trying to stop the shop running out of smokes.

Nice of you to get angry at the poor girl.

Edited by Chicog

Didn't believe it but just confirmed. Higher excise tax was activated last night at midnight, two days after the announcement. Supposed to add 5-10 baht a pack. Earlier today I was charged the usual price for my brand. So 7-11 is waiting for new stocks, it seems, to raise the price.

Not surprising since the duty-free cartons have gone up at least three times (630/650/700) since late 2014, now set at 700 baht for my brand, Mild Seven. In Cambodia, my brand is 55 baht/pack. But it won't surprise me if Cambodia raises it taxes as part of the ASEAN cabal.

I gave up smoking when they went up to one shilling and seven pence for twenty , now how long ago was that?thumbsup.gif

mind you back in the 60s and 70s i used to smoke something called cannibals ,or something like that biggrin.png .

Edited by i claudius

Maybe 5 to 10 baht was the intended increase but Marlboro Lights went up by 25 baht from 95 to 120 baht around where I live sad.png

Gulp. My cigs are normally 98. So this means 123 baht/$3.50US. Last night at 7-11 still old price.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Didn't believe it but just confirmed. Higher excise tax was activated last night at midnight, two days after the announcement. Supposed to add 5-10 baht a pack. Earlier today I was charged the usual price for my brand. So 7-11 is waiting for new stocks, it seems, to raise the price.

Not surprising since the duty-free cartons have gone up at least three times (630/650/700) since late 2014, now set at 700 baht for my brand, Mild Seven. In Cambodia, my brand is 55 baht/pack. But it won't surprise me if Cambodia raises it taxes as part of the ASEAN cabal.

Seeing as ASEAN started in 1967, don't you think they would have done it by now ?

I gave up smoking when they went up to one shilling and seven pence for twenty , now how long ago was that?thumbsup.gif

mind you back in the 60s and 70s i used to smoke something called cannibals ,or something like that biggrin.png .

Yes when i quit think Kon tip was about 35 baht a pack i think , had to stop Cannibals or something like that as well, bummer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but think im better off for it now days, 16 years now thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Whats the crack with the Bar Vendors selling the sleeves in the Bars.....?? Are they from Cambodia hence the lower prices 1000 for 2 or 600 each or are the simply just Counterfeit produced here in Thailand.....??

They only seem to have Marlboro and other lessor sought brands so wondered if they were actually genuine

Edited by Cirencester

Whats the crack with the Bar Vendors selling the sleeves in the Bars.....?? Are they from Cambodia hence the lower prices 1000 for 2 or 600 each or are the simply just Counterfeit produced here in Thailand.....??

They only seem to have Marlboro and other lessor sought brands so wondered if they were actually genuine

They are cheap copies. In Cambodia they offer 10 boxes for around 120 Baht. Marlboro. I suggest not to buy these cigarettes from the street vendor since the cigarettes don't have a tax stamp. Police send you to monkeyhouse if they catch you. That's serious.

Seeing as ASEAN started in 1967, don't you think they would have done it by now ?

Seeing as ASEAN Economic Community's harmonized trade and labour relations were activated Jan 1, 2016, there might be more of a chance for, well, harmonized pricing to an extent.

They are cheap copies. In Cambodia they offer 10 boxes for around 120 Baht. Marlboro. I suggest not to buy these cigarettes from the street vendor since the cigarettes don't have a tax stamp. Police send you to monkeyhouse if they catch you. That's serious.

At 12 Baht for a sleeve of Marlboro I'd imagine a tax stamp would be the least thing I'd be concerned with !

Seeing as ASEAN Economic Community's harmonized trade and labour relations were activated Jan 1, 2016, there might be more of a chance for, well, harmonized pricing to an extent.

Then you meant the AEC, not ASEAN. :-)

Thailand’s excise tax on tobacco products has increased from 87 percent to 90 percent, reports The Nation.

The tax hike is expected to increase retail cigarette prices by thb5-thb10 per pack.

www.tobaccoreporter.com/2016/02/tax-up-in-thailand/

Something is going wrong.

Maybe 5 to 10 baht was the intended increase but Marlboro Lights went up by 25 baht from 95 to 120 baht around where I live sad.png

They are what my wife smokes and I am still trying to get her to quit.

Mind you until he first coffee and Marlboro Light in the morning she is crabby, so perhaps it is the lesser of two evils.

Gulp. My cigs are normally 98. So this means 123 baht/$3.50US. Last night at 7-11 still old price.

Ugh! The higher-tax Mild Sevens (already premium priced at 98 baht) arrived at my local 7-11. 125 baht/pack! This disagreeable increase translates into a 27.6% hike. I'm guessing a significant percentage of the premium-brand smoking residents of Thailand is composed of foreigners who buy L&M, Marlboros and Mild Seven. The lucky Thailand treasury.