Peanut Butter

lotus eater

It NEEDS to be in the fridge and last a long time - say 6 months. If it isn't refrigerated, it grows some sort of cancer causing chemical that you can't see, smell or taste.

Yup, and it's called an "alfatoxin".

This is the danger of "healthy" peanut butter which is "freshly ground" at "health" food shops.

Alfatoxins tend to grow more and faster when the peanuts are still unprocessed, and tend to grow less when the peanuts have already been processed into peanut butter.

Ergo: Stick to the pre-packaged branded peanut butters instead of the "healthy" and "freshly ground" ones at the "health" food shops.

The problem with the pre-packaged branded peanut butters is that they add trans-fats to keep the oil from seperating and trans-fats are worse for you than lard!

I get home made stuff with no trans-fats at Baan Suan Pac in Chiang Mai (near Aden Health Food store, near President Hotel) and she refrigerates it after she makes it.

I found some home made stuff at Kasem's shop on Nimmenheimen but it was the crucnchy sort. Where's the President Hotel, roughly; and is it the smooth type of p butter?

Agree.

So now I buy pre packed peanut butter brand "Healthy Mate" from Emporium or Paragon in BKK (duno about Chiang Mai).

Non-hydrogenated, and no transfats. And yes, the oil separates.

You can even choose the unsweetened one if you wish.

A bit expensive though, about 65 baht for a small bottle.

I found this at the new Rimping near airport plaza. Took the last/only bottle of smooth. They also had Mission brand, but again only the crunchy type, though the smooth does exist (saw it in foodlands, bkk).

The Skippy and Sunpat and other mass market brands are in all the shops (especially skippy) but are full of additiives. I like smooth p butter made of nothing but peanuts and salt.

Have supply suffcient for a month or two. Will get more when next in bkk; & may even try to make some myself to see how it comes out.

Must keep in mind the scary info about keeping it long or outside the fridge. Had NO idea of that, and thanks for the warning.

The commercial brands you need only keep in the ref after you opened it, homemade should go straight in.

Me and the eldest daughter like it crunchy, but younger likes it smooth so make two lots. I find that for me it needs salt so add a bit but leave it out of the kids. :o

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask which type/brand of machine you use and if it got the p butter really smooth.

Do you add any oil (palm, sunflower, etc)? Do you use skinned peanuts? roasted I suppose?

I have a Beststar 22A.

You'll need a lot of oil for grinding it real smooth, I use condensed milk in place of oil - works a treat. :D

Thanks for the tip on Mission brand of unsweetened smooth peanut butter!

(I earlier recommended Healthy Mate).

I tried Mission today and the quality is just as good, yet it's 28% cheaper than Healthy Mate on a per/g basis. Seems to be available only at Foodland.

I'm now a convert.

Cheers!

Mike

Edited by junkofdavid2

Me and the eldest daughter like it crunchy, but younger likes it smooth so make two lots. I find that for me it needs salt so add a bit but leave it out of the kids. :o

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask which type/brand of machine you use and if it got the p butter really smooth.

Do you add any oil (palm, sunflower, etc)? Do you use skinned peanuts? roasted I suppose?

I have a Beststar 22A.

You'll need a lot of oil for grinding it real smooth, I use condensed milk in place of oil - works a treat. :D

Oh my goodness! Condensed milk? I'm afraid that would be impossible for me to take! But I'm eccentric - because I can't take the jam etc that americans consider normal. I just like a bit of butter and then unadulterated p butter. I would try olive oil - which was also recommended on this thread.

I tried Mission today and the quality is just as good, yet it's 28% cheaper than Healthy Mate on a per/g basis. Seems to be available only at Foodland.

I'm now a convert.

Cheers!

Mike

If anyone comes across the Mission's unsweetened & smooth please post here. As I mentioned Rimping near airport plaza had Mission sweetened smooth, and unsweetened crunchy, but not.......(It may work too if people suggest they get it.) Hope they'd just run out, and that it wasn't by design. (Though I'll pick some up in BKK next month just in case.)

• 2 months later...

I'm now a convert.

Cheers!

Mike

Hey!

This is now available at Siam Paragon Supermarket (Ground Floor) for only 85 Baht a bottle (even cheaper than Foodland!).

I saw it yesterday.

Let's patronize it and keep it alive.

Cheers!

Mike