Peanut Butter

lotus eater

Does anyone know if p butter, smooth (not crunchy) and without sugar/sweetener added (& preferably not salt either) is available in Chiang Mai?

What I've seen in all the supermarkets looks pretty awful to me, & has all sorts of additives incl sugar (among other unappealing things).

Does anyone know if p butter, smooth (not crunchy) and without sugar/sweetener added (& preferably not salt either) is available in Chiang Mai?

What I've seen in all the supermarkets looks pretty awful to me, & has all sorts of additives incl sugar (among other unappealing things).

If you have access to a food processor you can make your own easily. Peanuts and a little oil, process until smooth. Then you can add whatever you want, traditionally salt and maybe sugar/sugar substitute. I tried this a month ago. I have read that some of the oil may sepparate but it hasn't in the batch I made.

Mission makes a good peanut butter without crunch and without sugar.

It is available at Friendship Markets, Foodland, Villa Markets. These are in Bkk and Pattaya.

02 391 6369

call them and ask if they have a buyer in CM, or order a box.

If you have access to a food processor you can make your own easily. Peanuts and a little oil, process until smooth. Then you can add whatever you want, traditionally salt and maybe sugar/sugar substitute. I tried this a month ago. I have read that some of the oil may sepparate but it hasn't in the batch I made.

Any common or garden home food processor or a professional expensive type? Which oil works best - only peanut oil?

Mission makes a good peanut butter without crunch and without sugar.

It is available at Friendship Markets, Foodland, Villa Markets. These are in Bkk and Pattaya.

02 391 6369

call them and ask if they have a buyer in CM, or order a box.

Thanks a lot for that pointer. Will ring them. I also think there may be a Foodland here, which is a further reason to be optimistic.

Any common or garden home food processor or a professional expensive type? Which oil works best - only peanut oil?

Any food processor should work, including a mortar and pestle. I used vegetable oil but it shouldn't matter too much which kind. You only use about a tablespoon. It is a simple process, don't over think it. Take roasted peanuts (just like the ones you would normally eat in the west), put them in something that will pulverize them, add a little oil, start. Wait a few minutes and it will turn into a paste. Add salt/sugar or whatever. EAT

Foodland stocks Skippy peanut butter, which is unsweetened.

I have seen skippy p butter in supermarkets and not wante to buy it. It could only have been because it listed some unappetiizing additives or it was the crunchy type.

But in any case I'd very much like to know where Foodlands is - and a few other decent supermarkets. I'm still new to the lay of the land in CM; have so far located Carrefours, Big C & Tops in Central Plaza.

• 6 months later...
After reading this thread some time ago, I decided I would have a go at making our own. Following on from this sucess I made cashew nut butter. Yumyumyum. :o

Unfortunately I don't have a processor/liquidiser; but hope to get one in the future. Which by the way do you use? Do you get it really smooth - without any bits still to be crunched in the eating?

Me and the eldest daughter like it crunchy, but younger likes it smooth so make two lots. I find that for me it needs salt so add a bit but leave it out of the kids. :o

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask which type/brand of machine you use and if it got the p butter really smooth.

Do you add any oil (palm, sunflower, etc)? Do you use skinned peanuts? roasted I suppose?

Very good unsweetened peanut butter in Bangkok... Definitely!

In Chiang Mai.. I don't know if it's available.

In Siam Paragon Supermarket and Emporium, they sell the brand Healthy Mate, which has unsweetened and creamy (not crunchy) variety of peanut butter. The oil collects on top because it's not hydrogenated (not trans-fat; so it's healthy).

Excellent quality. About 65 baht for a small bottle though, which makes it more expensive than Skippy and the others.

I've seen it available (sometimes only) in Tesco Lotus Fortune Town... but it's not always available and it's more expensive than in Siam Paragon. (Yup, you heard that right!)

Edited by junkofdavid2

Very good unsweetened peanut butter in Bangkok... Definitely!

In Chiang Mai.. I don't know if it's available.

In Siam Paragon Supermarket and Emporium, they sell the brand Healthy Mate, which has unsweetened and creamy (not crunchy) variety of peanut butter. The oil collects on top because it's not hydrogenated (not trans-fat; so it's healthy).

Excellent quality. About 65 baht for a small bottle though, which makes it more expensive than Skippy and the others.

I've seen it available (sometimes only) in Tesco Lotus Fortune Town... but it's not always available and it's more expensive than in Siam Paragon. (Yup, you heard that right!)

The brand I picked up in Foodland Bangkok was Mission. Its ingredients are stated as roasted peanuts (99%) and salt (1%). Will look for the Healthy Mate next time - and compare.

Skippy of course is ubiquitous but I haven't - and wouldn't - eat it; it's full of unattractive (to me) additives. I found a 'homemade' type one in a health food shop in Chiang Mai, but didn't like it. Curious that Chgiang Mai is lacking this - when it's pretty good otherwize when it comes to farang foods.

I tried making my own on a lark a few months back. To my astonishment, it turned out OK. Here's what I did:

1 bag fresh, unsalted, shelled peanuts from the local talad (=20 baht)

4-5 tablespoons of sunflower oil (naman tantawan)

Put in a blender, and blend! Real sticky, but tastes OK, especially if you're not into salt and weird/extraneous ingredients.

I use sunflower oil for everything. It's GOOD-CHLORESTEROL-TYPE-OIL and super for spaghetti, salads and French Fries. Really, it's kind of a "poor man's olive oil" in terms of taste and nutritional benefits!

A regular blender also works fine. You do need quite a bit of oil though. I use olive oil. After you have it blended nice and smooth, let it set overnight and the olive oil will come to the top just pour the olive oil off it and it tastes great. You can probably use whatever kind of oil that you have handy.

It NEEDS to be in the fridge and last a long time - say 6 months. If it isn't refrigerated, it grows some sort of cancer causing chemical that you can't see, smell or taste.

Yup, and it's called an "alfatoxin".

This is the danger of "healthy" peanut butter which is "freshly ground" at "health" food shops.

Alfatoxins tend to grow more and faster when the peanuts are still unprocessed, and tend to grow less when the peanuts have already been processed into peanut butter.

Ergo: Stick to the pre-packaged branded peanut butters instead of the "healthy" and "freshly ground" ones at the "health" food shops.

Edited by junkofdavid2

Foodland stocks Skippy peanut butter, which is unsweetened.

Skippy peanut butter is available at Rimping and Carrefour

Sanatarium (from Australia) is at Rimping

Kraft (also from Australia) is usually available at Rimping.

Of the above I prefer Sanatarium but keep it in the refridgerator or the oil will seperate in the heat. For some reason Kraft and Skippy don't.

CB

Whilst I may struggle to forgive you and your desire for smooth (note it has the same number of O's as the word poo) Peanut Butter I can empathise with you for the desire for quality Peanut Butter. I too struggle to cope with the sound of my knife hitting the glass at the bottom of the jar.

Although I have never tried the service, as I have a regular supply from home, I am told you can order it from......

http://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Sun...nut_Butter.html

I don't know where the OP is from, SunPat is he finest of them all.

Hmmmm! This has given me an idea for a new thread!

It NEEDS to be in the fridge and last a long time - say 6 months. If it isn't refrigerated, it grows some sort of cancer causing chemical that you can't see, smell or taste.

This is the danger of "healthy" peanut butter which is "freshly ground" at "health" food shops.

Alfatoxins tend to grow more and faster when the peanuts are still unprocessed, and tend to grow less when the peanuts have already been processed into peanut butter.

Ergo: Stick to the pre-packaged branded peanut butters instead of the "healthy" and "freshly ground" ones at the "health" food shops.

The problem with the pre-packaged branded peanut butters is that they add trans-fats to keep the oil from seperating and trans-fats are worse for you than lard!

I get home made stuff with no trans-fats at Baan Suan Pac in Chiang Mai (near Aden Health Food store, near President Hotel) and she refrigerates it after she makes it.

Agree.

So now I buy pre packed peanut butter brand "Healthy Mate" from Emporium or Paragon in BKK (duno about Chiang Mai).

Non-hydrogenated, and no transfats. And yes, the oil separates.

You can even choose the unsweetened one if you wish.

A bit expensive though, about 65 baht for a small bottle.

The problem with the pre-packaged branded peanut butters is that they add trans-fats to keep the oil from seperating and trans-fats are worse for you than lard!

I get home made stuff with no trans-fats at Baan Suan Pac in Chiang Mai (near Aden Health Food store, near President Hotel) and she refrigerates it after she makes it.

I found some home made stuff at Kasem's shop on Nimmenheimen but it was the crucnchy sort. Where's the President Hotel, roughly; and is it the smooth type of p butter?

Agree.

So now I buy pre packed peanut butter brand "Healthy Mate" from Emporium or Paragon in BKK (duno about Chiang Mai).

Non-hydrogenated, and no transfats. And yes, the oil separates.

You can even choose the unsweetened one if you wish.

A bit expensive though, about 65 baht for a small bottle.

I found this at the new Rimping near airport plaza. Took the last/only bottle of smooth. They also had Mission brand, but again only the crunchy type, though the smooth does exist (saw it in foodlands, bkk).

The Skippy and Sunpat and other mass market brands are in all the shops (especially skippy) but are full of additiives. I like smooth p butter made of nothing but peanuts and salt.

Have supply suffcient for a month or two. Will get more when next in bkk; & may even try to make some myself to see how it comes out.

Must keep in mind the scary info about keeping it long or outside the fridge. Had NO idea of that, and thanks for the warning.

I found some home made stuff at Kasem's shop on Nimmenheimen but it was the crucnchy sort. Where's the President Hotel, roughly; and is it the smooth type of p butter?

Yes, it is the smooth type with no additives.

If you were coming from Kad Suan Keow Shopping center on Huey Koew Road and going towards the river, you keep going straight along the moat until you have to turn right to follow the moat to Thapae Gate, however you don't turn. You keep going straight towards the US Consulate and the President Hotel will be on your left very quickly. Ignore it and start looking on your right until you see a complex with a vegetarian restaurant on the corner and Aden Health Food store across from it.

Baan Suan Paak Health Food store is across from Aden and the home-made peanut butter is in the refrigerator, near the fresh juices. She also makes organic strawberry jam with natural sugar.

Yes, it is the smooth type with no additives.

If you were coming from Kad Suan Keow Shopping center on Huey Koew Road and going towards the river, you keep going straight along the moat until you have to turn right to follow the moat to Thapae Gate, however you don't turn. You keep going straight towards the US Consulate and the President Hotel will be on your left very quickly. Ignore it and start looking on your right until you see a complex with a vegetarian restaurant on the corner and Aden Health Food store across from it.

Baan Suan Paak Health Food store is across from Aden and the home-made peanut butter is in the refrigerator, near the fresh juices. She also makes organic strawberry jam with natural sugar.

thank you. will go get some tomorrow. i'll then have that and 2 commercial brands, to discover which is best among them.

She makes two kinds. One is just plain peanut butter. The other is mixed with a little organic honey and good quality sea salt, but it doesn't taste too sweet to be regular peanut butter.

I like both.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you have the occasion to visit Cambodia stock up on the peanut butter made locally by the NGO HealthLand. It is the best peanut butter I have ever tasted, anywhere. Completely without preservatives, just the pure stuff. Bith creamy and chunky varieties, and cheaper than any of the brands sold in Thailand. Alas, not available in LOS.