Teacher Licensing, Culture Testing, TCT

Boatabike

Last week our school received a notice from one the Rajabat schools that they will be starting a course for those needing to take the courses for a Teacher's License. The information was verbally translated from Thai and here's what I got. If you are not teaching at this time, you need to sign up for a 3 semester course, costing around 20,000 baht per semester or a total of 60,000 baht. If you are currently teaching, you need to sign up for a 1 year (2 semester course), costing 25,000 baht per semester or 50,000 baht. If you aren't currently teaching, you need to sign up by Feb 26. If you are teaching, then sign up is by March 31.

I have no idea when or how the course is being offered, but it does say part of it is through E-learning. A website was given for downloading the information at www.bsrueng.com . I couldn't get the link to work, but will post it in case someone can or has a better link.

That's the information I have so far.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea when or how the course is being offered, but it does say part of it is through E-learning. A website was given for downloading the information at www.bsrueng.com . I couldn't get the link to work, but will post it in case someone can or has a better link.

That's the information I have so far.

Thanks for the info, Scott.

They are offering the Graduate Diploma in the Teaching Profession (Grad. Dip. T.P.).The link works but there is no detailed info on the course. :)

Edited by aidenai

For those who are interested, I have been able to glean some further information about eligibility for a TL. If you have an education degree and a TL from abroad, along with the Thai Language and Culture Course (20 hours), you may be eligible for a Thai TL. You need to submit your education degree and transcript as well as TL, a copy of your passport (first page) and the non-B visa (or other legitimate visa I would imagine). You should get a Thai TL.

If you hold a bachelor's degree, but not in education, you will receive a waiver. You may take the test or do the coursework. If you have 15 units of education you can submit your transcript to the MOE and they will decide if you qualify. The decision as to whether you have the courses they think you should have is up to the MOE, however.

Hope this helps.

I have no idea if it will change or not.

My personal take on the situation is that the Teacher's Council is here to stay and they may have some regulatory changes, but they are a bureaucratic agency that now seems firmly entrenched. These regulations are not new and they have been a number of years in the implementation phase, so I doubt that things will revert to a 'simpler time.'

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been looking all over the net for answers to questions about the teacher License without much success. Then I sent a message to TC without reply.

Professional Knowledge Testing for Foreign Teachers

Friday, March 19, 2010 11:40 AMFrom: "Sutyot" To: ksp.or.th

Sawasdee Krup Ajarn Suwatchai, I would greatly appreciate your kind assistance on the following points. - Does the applicant need to have current employment with a Thai school?- Will a diploma be accepted along withT EFL in place of a degree? - Is the testing a 2 day period? - Will copies of educational records, not originals be sufficient? - Will all records like work history, education records be checked in my home country? If so, how long will this process take? - Are there sample tests for the applicant to prepare? - Can the Teacher's License be used for all schools in Thailand? or is it limited? - How long is it valid? What is the address of your office? Many kind thanks for your attention and consideration. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate the assistance.

Sutyot

Edited by sutyot

Boatabike, I'm no expert or nothing, but I can't see this funky exam for "teachers" being directly tied to your work permit or your visa. Those are each administered by separate Thai agencies. And traditionally in Thailand, flunking an 'exam' doesn't mean much, if anything.

If the school needs you and considers your services valuable, they will bend over backwards, Thai style, to keep you. They may never give you an exam. They may not grade the exam (or know how to). Ajarn Nachacannotteachalot probably will just sign some document and give it to Director Wainotwaimeforabaht, and you'll keep teaching - especially if the school is getting extra funds because you're teaching Engrit.

Our Thai Culture test was amazing like the whole country. A real professor told us secrets about Papaya salad and other useful nonsense. We all passed, like students sometimes do.

I applied for my license about 4 years ago, the laws suddenly changed and I never heard something again. Even my 500 baht were gone. Okay, it was a Tamboon. Good for my soul, bad for my wallet.

I started to work 2005, so about one year too late, why do people who started earlier don’t need to do anything to obtain their license?

But the truth is, if you’re doing a good job and the colleagues and students like you, there’ll be never a real problem regarding work permit and visa.

I was also hired to teach conversational English, but it’s very easy to understand that you’ll also have to have some Grammar knowledge. All languages do have four skills, and foreigners doing this job should at least know most of them…………..

Many people think that Thais are better in teaching Grammar, but how can you learn Grammar, if you don’t have the needed vocabulary and the right pronunciation? I’ve met Thai colleagues at my former school- English teachers-, who couldn’t say one sentence in a way that somebody else could understand what she/he was trying to say.

How did they teach Grammar? And the whole explanation is mostly in Thai.

A student at our school made this statement: “Thai students have to learn so much Grammar, but they don’t know many English words.” Indeed, it makes perfect sense to me.

If you’re doing a good job and the director likes you, they only have to inform the TCT and they’ll issue a license without making a test, even if you’re a gardener helper…………

I guess Ajarn Ghinnsomthammlaosmennmaak needs to see director Mr. Nonevertakeundatablemanee to clarify that you’re a qualified –conversational Angkritt teaching farlang.

Boatabike, I'm no expert or nothing, but I can't see this funky exam for "teachers" being directly tied to your work permit or your visa. Those are each administered by separate Thai agencies. And traditionally in Thailand, flunking an 'exam' doesn't mean much, if anything.

If the school needs you and considers your services valuable, they will bend over backwards, Thai style, to keep you. They may never give you an exam. They may not grade the exam (or know how to). Ajarn Nachacannotteachalot probably will just sign some document and give it to Director Wainotwaimeforabaht, and you'll keep teaching - especially if the school is getting extra funds because you're teaching Engrit.

Our Thai Culture test was amazing like the whole country. A real professor told us secrets about Papaya salad and other useful nonsense. We all passed, like students sometimes do.

I applied for my license about 4 years ago, the laws suddenly changed and I never heard something again. Even my 500 baht were gone. Okay, it was a Tamboon. Good for my soul, bad for my wallet.

I started to work 2005, so about one year too late, why do people who started earlier don't need to do anything to obtain their license?

But the truth is, if you're doing a good job and the colleagues and students like you, there'll be never a real problem regarding work permit and visa.

I was also hired to teach conversational English, but it's very easy to understand that you'll also have to have some Grammar knowledge. All languages do have four skills, and foreigners doing this job should at least know most of them…………..

Many people think that Thais are better in teaching Grammar, but how can you learn Grammar, if you don't have the needed vocabulary and the right pronunciation? I've met Thai colleagues at my former school- English teachers-, who couldn't say one sentence in a way that somebody else could understand what she/he was trying to say.

How did they teach Grammar? And the whole explanation is mostly in Thai.

A student at our school made this statement: "Thai students have to learn so much Grammar, but they don't know many English words." Indeed, it makes perfect sense to me.

If you're doing a good job and the director likes you, they only have to inform the TCT and they'll issue a license without making a test, even if you're a gardener helper…………

I guess Ajarn Ghinnsomthammlaosmennmaak needs to see director Mr. Nonevertakeundatablemanee to clarify that you're a qualified –conversational Angkritt teaching farlang.

Very interesting post.

I would like to get the Thai Culture Class out of the way over a plate of Somtum. Plus get the TL based on my performance instead of all the red tape.

Sutyot

• 2 months later...

Many Thais don't answer emails.

That's not really true, I get replies from many Thai people. However, the request was a list of questions, too many for an email.

In addition, the sender signed with "Sutyot".

I'm still not quite ready to get a TL so will be asking for another waiver. Guess what? My school have lost the letter that they sent last time. I got this from a link on the internet that is no longer there.

Does anyone have one or know where one is. I'm taliking about the covering letter,from the Director of the school, sent to the TCT with the application stating that although I do not have the right qualifications for a TL the school would like to continue to employ me.

Thanks

I'm still not quite ready to get a TL so will be asking for another waiver. Guess what? My school have lost the letter that they sent last time. I got this from a link on the internet that is no longer there.

Does anyone have one or know where one is. I'm taliking about the covering letter,from the Director of the school, sent to the TCT with the application stating that although I do not have the right qualifications for a TL the school would like to continue to employ me.

Thanks

There are actually two possibilities:

1. The school suddenly remember what they wrote last time. Appears to be not very likely, take the hint.

2. You go for a teacher's licence and become legal.

Sorry pal, but I don't understand why you want to teach but don't want to get a teacher's licence. Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks

There are actually two possibilities:

1. The school suddenly remember what they wrote last time. Appears to be not very likely, take the hint.

2. You go for a teacher's licence and become legal.

Sorry pal, but I don't understand why you want to teach but don't want to get a teacher's licence. Am I misunderstanding something?

Soory too pal, but I did say that I was not ready. IE. I have not yet reached the qualification status. I am indeed trying to get a TL.

Not quite sure what "hint" I am supposed to take. The school have given me a very nice contract and all the other documents needed for Visa/WP. Due to some admin changes and also some personnel changes they cannot find the TCT letter.

Thought this was a forum for teachers to help teachers. Never mind.

It is for teachers and it is to help teachers, so let's play nice. In all honesty, it was slightly confusing about 'not being ready' to get the TL, but given the hoops that one has to jump through, your explanation is quite understandable.

I have looked for a copy of a letter which I sent by PM to someone who worked for a school that didn't know what to write. It was written in Thai. I have since changed computers and I can't find it, but I will continue to look.

The schools are quite funny about letting anyone know what they say.

Hopefully, some posters will come by that have more insight.

Thanks

Things do get lost from time to time. Your school should be able to contact the area education office and get another waiver. I know teachers (not in my program) who have gone to the area education office in person and have obtained the waiver. Do you have a copy of your last waiver? If the school would like to continue to employ you then they should be able to produce the letter for your waiver. Chok dee.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Me and 2 other teachers from my school were required in May to do the "Thai language, culture and professional ethics course for non Thai teacher" as the title goes on the cert.

2 days of your own time (sat and sun) and 2,500 Baht at the Bansomdejchaopraya Rajabhat University, Bangkok. I believe they hold the course once about every 2 months.

The course is a laugh, but it seems some schools get copped and the teachers have to go through the motions and other schools get left alone (that is, in my home town and some government and some private schools have had to do it .... why some don't, must be good connnections??).

The course was basically a lecture and minimal participation was required. As you would expect, disorganised but easy at the same time. I've been here 10 years so I learned nothing from this course, but some newbies may learn a little.

However, the cert. took 9 weeks to reach me and is basically a low quality print job off their computer along with my photo stuck on the back.

Also, I have a degree in Thai language and SEA dev. studies and did not make me exempt. One other teacher had a degree and Tefl, he was not exempt. As far as I know, only B'Ed and PGCE/ dipEd type teachers are exempt along with teachers who have had a TL previous to mid-2003 (I missed this by a handful of months :( )

So, if you get copped to do this course, I would recommend the above University (Near Wong Wian Yai, Thonburi roundabout) as it's easy and a good price (I've heard as much as 10K B4) but be patient for the cert.:thumbsup:

Contact details there: Dr. Areewan Iamsa-ard 081-398-7273 and Mr. Thanin Kong-in 084-207-4095 .

Chok dii :crazy:

Also, I have a degree in Thai language and SEA dev. studies and did not make me exempt. One other teacher had a degree and Tefl, he was not exempt. As far as I know, only B'Ed and PGCE/ dipEd type teachers are exempt along with teachers who have had a TL previous to mid-2003 (I missed this by a handful of months :( )

Chok dii :crazy:

Even new teachers with BEd's have to do the culture course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

My colleagues and I have each spent 2000Bhat and have registered for the examinations on Saturday 11th Sept in Chiang Mai.

However, I haven't been able to discern where the exams take place. I have emailed a lady, her address given on the website, but nothing as yet. As insurance, thought it wise to ask you guys here - where are the exams in Chiang Mai???

Many thanks, and keep on smiling despite the absurdity of it all :-)

James

I hope this isn't a dead topic, since the last post was quite some time ago.

I plan to get TEFL certiified (recommendations appreciated) and teach English in Thailand.

The catch? I didn't take education seriously at the time and while I have three years of college credits I don't have a bachelor's degree.

Several schools have stated via email that they can provide work in Thailand even without a degree. True?

If I teach English without a degree what would the possible problems be? Permanent deportation from Thailand? Or.... ?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,

FutureExpat

A number of schools are more than willing to employ people without a degree and there is no problem provided they do it legally. The problem is in getting a Teacher's License (waiver)--although, I believe the waivers are pretty routine and shouldn't be a problem. The other problem is the school needs to be able to get you the non-immigrant B visa and a work permit. If these things can be done, your OK.

Thai law doesn't mandate a Bachelor's degree. The degree is requested/required by some schools and some immigration offices won't authorize the non-B and sometimes the Ministry of Labor will not grant a Work Permit. A degree makes the whole process easier and seldom is there a hitch. A non-degreed person has fewer options. Just make sure they will get you a Work Permit.

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I sat 2 of the 4 tests on Saturday. As expected, they were nothing short of a joke. Questions were poorly written, so badly that it was sometimes impossible to discern what the examiner was getting at - imagine 'legalese' written in a bizarre thai/english mix by a 5 year old!

Those questions that I was able to understand were either quite simply bizarre or virtually impossible to know the answer to!

EG:

Which student has a 'special needs':

a: John has a withered arm and leg

b: Amy is a dwarf

c: Susan is insane

d: Jamie has short attention

e: Joe is intelligent and often works harder than his colleagues

Impossible questions are like: what is the average pixel size of a typical website page? In which chapter of the national education act of BE 2442 is information technology written about? In the Ayuthaya period, where did children generally learn?

It was hilarious!

And it just went on and on.

To be fair, the first 50 questions of the first test were lifted straight from a TOEIC test - fair enough, we are supposed to be English teachers, so we should be able to answer such questions... then it went onto IT (again, some questions relevant, mostly not)... then it was cirriculum development and classroom management in the afternoon. These 150 questions were very hard - some were about student centered learning/"constructivism "(?) and some about acceptable Thai student behaviour and suitable actions.

Of course, the trick was to answer them as a Thai administrator would want them answered and not what you think is the best answer!

To be fair, the administration of the tests was fine. Our names were written down and place numbers set. We were not asked for receipts, but just some ID to check our names. We were in an open fan room, but this was fine as it was in CM in the rainy season. Tests were 2h30 mins each. I managed to finish each test in just over an hour.

Basically, now that I am 'seen' to be applying for the teaching certificate, there should be no problems at the local government office when re applying for a WP. Of course, we shall have to wait and see!

The whole experience was a total joke, but my colleagues and I enjoyed a nice evening in CM afterwards, so the 2000 bhat wasn't a total waste.

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Bonne chance.

James

• Like 2