London's Black Cabs protest against Uber

webfact

London's Black Cabs protest against Uber

606x341_323915.jpg

LONDON: -- Thousands of London’s traditional Black Taxis blocked roads near parliament in protest on Wednesday against the car-sharing service app Uber, calling for government intervention.

They are angry that Uber is being allowed to avoid paying taxes and adhering to taxi regulations by presenting itself as an I.T. company.

The London taxi representative for trade union UNITE said that Uber acted like it was above the rules and that the government was letting them do it.

Founded in 2009, the San-Fransisco based taxi app has faced legislative and regulatory hurdles worldwide and opposition from traditional taxi drivers across many European cities.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-02-11

If you cannot beat them, then join them!

I don't know how many times the so-called black cabs have ripped me off, getting into traffic jams to try to up their fare take. They should evolve. But then, the UK has the most expensive transport charges in the world - try going somewhere by train! Look at the thousands of pounds you have to shell out so as to a commuter hang without a seat. So glad I don't have to live there any more.

uber and uber like services are here to stay. almost pointless fighting it.

Agree, but they must adhere to the same rules as other taxi's.

completely disagree! That's like saying low-cost airlines must adhere to all the same rules as legacy airlines

Same business, same laws.

completely disagree! That's like saying low-cost airlines must adhere to all the same rules as legacy airlines

And that's why I avoid cheap Charlie airlines. Pay to Fly FOs and all the rest....

you need, licenced, well mantained, well insured vehicles, driven by well trained, licenced, knowledgable, trustworthy drivers that abide by the laws of the road and the inland revenue.

if uber fit that discription then they are ok.

London black cabs a true mafia. Expensive out of date anachronistic and if i have to hear another whinging cockney cabby i shall bring up my som tam.

Ah, but the apologists are here to quickly support the mafia's monopoly. They apparently don't see how some competition could benefit the people.

Naw, protect the 17th century black cabs.

If you cannot beat them, then join them!

I don't know how many times the so-called black cabs have ripped me off, getting into traffic jams to try to up their fare take. They should evolve. But then, the UK has the most expensive transport charges in the world - try going somewhere by train! Look at the thousands of pounds you have to shell out so as to a commuter hang without a seat. So glad I don't have to live there any more.

It's always fifty quid to literally go round the corner.

I have to shake my head at some Europeans' rejection of capitalism and competition. A lot of former little guys have gotten filthy rich from the tech revolution. There's the computer, ever improving hardware, software including an operating system, not to mention the internet and all it's amounted to from the topology itself to the web sites that have made people rich.

Uber is just a tiny thing.

This was all done in a free market economy via capitalism and not by a government or a monopoly. The internet including Uber the most free thing we've seen since the US's Wild West.

Brits don't like Uber. Why? Oh yeah I forgot. It isn't controlled by the government. Geez.

Are Europeans ever going to create anything new of value again, or are they going to keep complaining about everything while watching the world go by? It's 2016, doncha know....

Cheers.

Waiting to see driverless taxi's around Chat-tu-chuk J&J weekend market cab ranks.. Approaching black car and hitting app. button...... ...Hello? ....I said hello ? Can you take me to Siam Sq? speaker phone...

buzzzzzing ... Driverless cab speaks.........My name is Hal' I am at your service! Please fasten your safety belt...My name is 'Hal'...repeat 10 times...computer machine....

LCAs do have to abide by the same laws as legacy airlines. It's the law after all.....

I have to shake my head at some Europeans' rejection of capitalism and competition. A lot of former little guys have gotten filthy rich from the tech revolution. There's the computer, ever improving hardware, software including an operating system, not to mention the internet and all it's amounted to from the topology itself to the web sites that have made people rich.

Uber is just a tiny thing.

This was all done in a free market economy via capitalism and not by a government or a monopoly. The internet including Uber the most free thing we've seen since the US's Wild West.

Brits don't like Uber. Why? Oh yeah I forgot. It isn't controlled by the government. Geez.

Are Europeans ever going to create anything new of value again, or are they going to keep complaining about everything while watching the world go by? It's 2016, doncha know....

Cheers.

I shake my head at NeverSure's almost daily rants about Europe!!