Australian Age Pension

lungnorm

Hi everyone, I was wondering if any retired Australian can tell me if I can get the married rate of Australian Age Pension if I marry my Thai G/F here in Thailand. She is half my age and has 1 child so she cannot work even if there was employment. At the moment I receive the age pension at the single rate.

Thanks for your assistance,

The answer is a yes and no.

I know of one Australian who owned up to living with a woman and had his pension reduced. He then appealed and explained that she didn't worked and had it reinstated. But he seems a rarity.

The chances are if you inform the authorities that you are married you will loose part of your pension.

If you don't inform them, then who is going to tell them.

Im almost certain if she's of working age you got no chance, and not being a resident with the appropriate years in the country would also disqualify her and you my friend would most likely get a pension cut.

A zipped lip is better than losing about 4000 Baht a month.sad.png

pension is payable if you or your missus are at retirement age. If she's half your age and earning, as AlexRRR says, your pension will be reduced.

I assume GF has never been an Australian resident, so would not receive any Centrelink benefit even if she were of retirement age. Even if she were eligible for some form of Centrelink benefit she would have to return to Oz and reestablish residency before making a claim. As said above OP should not inform Oz authorities of relationship as pension will be reduced.

Currently pension (excluding supplements) for a single person is A$778.40 per fortnight, individual members of couple A$594.30 each. A new applicant in Oz, prior to moving overseas to receive full pension payment, would at a minimum need to meet the 35 year Working Life Residency criteria.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/payment-rates-age-pension

Archived