Conscription for dual national

Asheron

If a person has two citizenships (EU country and Thailand) and decide to do the voluntary military service (like 4? months) in the EU country can that person then entirely avoid/skip the draft in Thailand? This person is in the tabien baan as he was born in Thailand and does have an valid ID card and thai passport so the advice, the very bad one, of not getting ID yadda yadda wouldn't work. The person does speak thai but can barely read and write in Thai but is fluent in his second language and english.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to relinquish Thai nationality & be the EU

No point in having Thai passport anyway if you have passport & citizenship from EU country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's even worse advice than the "don't get ID or tabien baan".

No point in having Thai passport anyway if you have passport & citizenship from EU country

It is like telling someone to cut their feet off because they have to trim their toenails.

Keep in mind that you can pay for someone to go in your place, you can also buy your way into an easy job, or you might just not get drawn.

Edited by BudRight

op asks for advice and you post that rubbish.

as posted the obligations will have to be fulfilled

Agree, there is always the chance the young man wants to work or even pursue a career in Thailand, if he cancels his Thai nationalist he then needs a work permit and has to cope with all the hassles of visa / change of visas, entry / re-entry permits etc etc., and retirement visa and all the 90 day reporting etc etc.

Better to have Thai nationality. There are probably other possibilities about the draft item.

TV member Sanram is the expert on all of this.

It is like telling someone to cut their feet off because they have to trim their toenails.

Keep in mind that you can pay for someone to go in your place, you can also buy your way into an easy job, or you might just not get drawn.

This is good news. My Thai wife says that you can not pay someone to go in your place. I have heard you can. Any place for a reference on this one?

You cannot pay for someone else to do your service...

My son has dual nationality and his uncle is very high in the thai military command. When asked could he be exempted or someone serve for him, we were told "not anymore".

The best he can hope for is a cushy number posting....my son luckily wanted to go and gets a whole load of time off to come home.

Even told me he can pay 500 baht a day to extend for upto a week..

If he volunteers for service in the eu and then remains an active member of a reserve component (maybe have to train once a year?)I would surmise that would exempt him as he is in a foreign military... but I think being a jrotc cadet is easiest. I live here and fly to korea for us army reserve training a few times a year... if a us thai dual national did the same as me... I don't think hed be eligible for conscription.

You don't mention the individual's age, though presumably under twenty one. So far as the U.K. is concerned - and I assume the same will apply elsewhere in the EU, or worldwide - dual citizenship doesn't permit a dual national to avoid any obligations, such as national service, imposed by either country. Dependent on his age, however, Thai military (army) cadet membership, 20 weeks a year for three years, is highly likely to enable him to avoid conscription.

Furthermore before I get abused, I'd be all for the lad avoiding Thai military service if he had the bottle to go the minimum in his home country

Or is he such a sissy that he wants to avoid all military service?

It'll man him up for one if he did something

It's a rubbish post

Give up Thai passport

The only people replying here are wannabe farangs who want to be this but can't

Ask Thai people not farangs is the simple answer

Isn't there quite a lot of Thaivisa members who are Thai?

one small point, he can own everything including land for 100%

Also some of the Asian countries will not charge money when you enter them. I know Bali never charged my wife but charged me $25 I think it was the same in Cambodia.

Thopon you are 100%

Pay someone else, and people say my post was stupid.

Tell the boy to man up & see if he's selected, if so, go & serve your country as you want the passport but don't want to give anything back

People like the op's make me sick

They're takers but when it comes to the less glamorous things they think bribery or other ways is acceptable. Disgusts me.

Before anyone starts on me I volunteered in the Royal Navy at 17 & served 22 yrs.

Good for you that you VOLUNTEERED.

And did you miss the part that he doesn't have an issue with "doing his part voluntarily in the EU country", he has actually mentioned it several times to me about volunteering... what he does object to is the "doing his part in a shitty backwards redneck corrupt third world nations armed forces".

Thopon you are 100%

Tell the boy to man up & see if he's selected, if so, go & serve your country as you want the passport but don't want to give anything back

They're takers but when it comes to the less glamorous things they think bribery or other ways is acceptable. Disgusts me.

Before anyone starts on me I volunteered in the Royal Navy at 17 & served 22 yrs.

And did you miss the part that he doesn't have an issue with "doing his part voluntarily in the EU country", he has actually mentioned it several times to me about volunteering... what he does object to is the "doing his part in a shitty backwards redneck corrupt third world nations armed forces".

But he wants to keep his passport for this, as you say 'shitty backwards redneck third world nation'???

Why would that be?

Your argument is totally flawed!!!

Re read what you've said and see if it's credible

Not sure if this is still correct. I was stationed in Thailand in 1973/75 with a dual citizen US/Thai. He had been drafted by the Thai military and was allowed to op to do his service with the USAF,,,

I don't think people can do that anymore.

As for UK forces you may not be accepted as an example but I know what your saying

Thopon you are 100%

But he wants to keep his passport for this, as you say 'shitty backwards redneck third world nation'???

Why would that be?

I could see one reason of not wanting to join the Thai military is that you may not see the government and the country to be one and the same. It's not like this is a western country where one has a voice/vote and plays a role in writing the social contract. It means a lot for some to have a vote... even if one loses... You may have a deep affinity for the country... but may object to being an instrument of the government. I'm a US Army Officer... and if our form of government changed every few years and there wasn't a vote.... and there was conscription... I would avoid conscription too... I say this even though I enjoy the military.

Thopon you are 100%

Why would that be?

How convinient of you to leave out the "armed forces" part. Don't know about you but i bet most people do not like corporal punishment and other shit that goes on in the Thai armed forces.

If the person is not registered in Thailand with an ID card, or in a blue book, He/she does not exist as a Thai citysen. If he has another nationality passport they will class him as a citysen from that Country, However if he wants to be Thai, He can go to the Area of where he was born ,If known and ask around to see if anyone remembers his family, If they do they can go to the Local Amphur and vouch for him.Then he can get an ID card and go from there, But If he is a duel National, Thai and whatever he will have to do national Service, If he does not then he maybe arrested on entry into Thailand .

Edited by Thongkorn

Thopon you are 100%

Why would that be?

How convinient of you to leave out the "armed forces" part. Don't know about you but i bet most people do not like corporal punishment and other shit that goes on in the Thai armed forces.

Have you served in the Thai or any other armed forces?

Are you one of these 'special forces retirees'?

Why don't you butt of of this persons life? Let him do what he wants & stop babying him

Not sure if this is still correct. I was stationed in Thailand in 1973/75 with a dual citizen US/Thai. He had been drafted by the Thai military and was allowed to op to do his service with the USAF,,,

I don't think people can do that anymore.

As for UK forces you may not be accepted as an example but I know what your saying

Leadership has a lot of leeway in letting people out of their obligations... If an active duty/active reserve member of the US military was a Thai dual national, I'm sure the two governments would work it out should it come up... If it's a country with less of a relationship... maybe a bigger issue.

If the person is not registered in Thailand with an ID card, or in a blue book, He/she does not exist if he has another nationality passport they will class him as a citysen from that Country, However if he wants to be Thai, He can go to the Area of where he was born ,If known and ask around to see if anyone remembers his family, If they do they can go to the Local Amphur and vouch for him.Then he can get an ID card and go from there, But If he is a duel National, Thai and whatever he will have to do national Service, If he does not then he maybe arrested on entry into Thailand .

This person has dual citizenship. What are you talking about?