Mushroom varieties

backtofront

You fertilise? I have been told to leave the bags alone and to ensure no water gets in the mouth of the bag. I attribute all my problems to the fact that the bamboo poles are uneven and some bags point the wrong way allowing water in when I spray. How do you fertilise? What do you use?

there are some detail about fertilizer. When to spray and what to spray. If you ask another farmer, they have their own formular and method to apply fertilizer depend on how they grow. But for me I use three things, 95% alcohol, urea and egg hormone that I made my own.

about water get in bag's mouth. as you can see in my pic, I did hang my bags by point it's mouth down a bit to let water out when watering or spray any thing to it. I've told you that I spray whiteoil every day after picked all the mushroom in the morning. I did by spray directly in to the mounth for the bag. Because pests(fly larvae) stay there . I don't worry about water that much.

tryc4lw.jpg

That creepy crawly is one I have found. Does it turn into those tiny flies that hover around the mushrooms?

qKJIHFa.jpg

It is this flies. The tiny one that run fast. In this pic they are mating by stick their butt together. I only have this kind of fly in my grow house, but it's cause a lot of problem to me. I tried to find infomation about it but never found. The one that I think it's close enought is called "minute black scavenger fly" but it's still looks too big compared to the one in my mushroom house. Maybe they are in the same family(Scatopsidae).

I once seen other fly (the bigger one) that like to hold on mushroom fruit body too, but they are disappear frome my house for a long time.

What do you plan to do next ?

But before you do anything, I would suggest you to visit other farm as many as you can. You will get alot of good idea to adapt to use at your farm. When i get start, I did like you do tried experiment myself. I've got meny problem then I go to visit other farm that allow me to go to look and ask my question. But some(most) farmer just lying to me (I think you already know this), that's why need to I go to many farm ask the same question but got difference answer. And there a lot of place to go to learn as one day course that you can find from internet.

Today I just finish my bagging job. They will ready to send to my customer in the next 25-30 days (mycelium fully covered). If you have time, you and your wife can come to visit me at my place, so I can explain you a lot better than this about detail of how I grow my mushroom(don't worry, I have not thing to sell to you biggrin.png) and bring you to my customer's farm if you want. It's a long distance, I know, just tell you.

• Like 1

Appreciated. Will wait for school holidays and take you up on your offer. In the meantime I am going to keep things ticking over. We have no problem moving our 2-4 kgs a day and I am enjoying the learning process. Need to clear and fumigate the growing house and test out your rack set up.

Will have a few more questions for you.

Have you tried the Milky White mushrooms that are discussed in a few of the threads on the forum?

Will wait for the school holidays and take you up on your very kind offer. In the meantime I am going to keep things ticking over. We have no problem moving our 2-4 kgs a day and I am enjoying the learning process. I want to clear the growing house, fumigate and try out your rack set up.

Will most certainly have a few more questions if you don't mind.

Have you tried the Milky White mushroom that has been discussed in a few of the threads on the forum?

Will wait for the school holidays and take you up on your very kind offer. In the meantime I am going to keep things ticking over. We have no problem moving our 2-4 kgs a day and I am enjoying the learning process. I want to clear the growing house, fumigate and try out your rack set up.

Will most certainly have a few more questions if you don't mind.

Have you tried the Milky White mushroom that has been discussed in a few of the threads on the forum?

For Milky mushroom, Yes, I've tried it once in 2014 just for fun and experiment.

j2Uw02o.jpg

more pics here http://imgur.com/a/N6kQq

And this lion mane for the same reason. But this time I experiment the Ultrasonic fog grow room that I've build too. All Just for fun and ...(Curiousness, Curiosity which word?)

nDjHkyW.jpg

KlwNYAC.jpg

As I told you about my farm and my customer's farm. You may think It's a big farm? , but I grow just 20+k bags in 4 grow houses now. Other 4 houses just not finish (I need to pause this project because I lost too much new bag by heat in March). My customer He just start about a year, He start with 1 3600 bags house. Now, he just build more 2-3 house(2 his house and 1 more his cousin)

It's good for you to list your question to ask me. I'll answer all question I know and tell you more for related things that I realized. But If you just let me talk, I'm not a good teaching that way.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I do to the old bags that not fruiting anymore, before take them out to composting.

Cut bag's mout wide open, wash it with water hose

PdWKPOh.jpg

Two days later

uE5mF36.jpg

7Kkg6t4.jpg

Next morning

faKeCUs.jpg

I can squeeze 60 Kilos(in one last harvest) out of these 5200 old bags that only give me less than half kilo daily in the normal way.

Edited by tamone
  • Like 1

Your old bags are still white and firm. Mine become travel stained, soft and sag. I am learning about moulds and slime and flies. Am busy taking out my racks and replacing them with slings. Also have a fly epidemic. Swatting them with a mosquito zapper. But they slip through unharmed they are so small. Found sticky glue which I am spreading on yellow plastic and am putting up warning flags. But they pay no attention and out comes the zapper again.

Edited by backtofront

Your old bags are still white and firm. Mine become travel stained, soft and sag. I am learning about moulds and slime and flies. Am busy taking out my racks and replacing them with slings. Also have a fly epidemic. Swatting them with a mosquito zapper. But they slip through unharmed they are so small. Found sticky glue which I am spreading on yellow plastic and am putting up warning flags. But they pay no attention and out comes the zapper again.

I once use that yellow sticky trap before. but it's not so effective for me compared to white oil, and the glue cannot last long with my everyday white oil and additive sprayed method too. sticky trap be like flies accidently hit it, They did not get attracted by the yellow color. I think black or darker color does more attractive than light or yellow. When I look closely, I see more flies like to stay in some bags that infected by mold and turn black, and they like to hanging around the black shade cloth too. I've some idea to use a black bucket(or 2" PVC pipe painted black inside) to make a trap but never done it, maybe you can try comparison between yellow and black. But as I told you before the fly in my grow house might be difference type than yours.

I would like to try fumigating and spraying. But before asking I want to read what you have posted. Will try the black trap. Have an outside compost heap which they hover around in numbers.

What do you use to fumigation ?

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Edited by tamone

I thought you said you fumigated the grow house after you clear and before your next batch. But it might have been another grower I was talking to. Confirm you spray every day using white oil, alcohol? and a grow formula. Do you spray manually or feed it into your watering system?

I thought you said you fumigated the grow house after you clear and before your next batch. But it might have been another grower I was talking to. Confirm you spray every day using white oil, alcohol? and a grow formula. Do you spray manually or feed it into your watering system?

No, I cannot use fumigation method with my grow house cause it's not seal. Every time I clear out old bags, I just spray fungicide + pesticide and spread lime stone over the floor. I spraying white oil every Fruiting day in the morning, alcohol+my formula in the evening, both after harvest.

Yes, I do spray it manually directly in to the bag's mouth.

For the spray nozzle. From my experience, normal 1 hole nozzle is not effective to use with mushroom, because water came out in 1 cone shape hollow at center. The nozzle I use now is a 4 holes brass nozzle. you can google it by this key word "หัวพ่นยา 4 รู". I set the pressure to about 10 bar.

pcrrREl.jpg

lnkAtyp.jpg

YF1J8OA.jpg

I've ordered all of my stuff(except the machine) from chawanpich.com

Do you think I could do it with one of those backpacks you pump up by hand? I have only got the one grow house at this stage. How much white oil to alcohol, to grow mix do you use?

I use white oil separate(i think it shouldn't mix with alcohol or another), only white oil in the morning. Alcohol and other fertiliser at evening

For the pump, I never use that backpack one. Before I use this big pump I made my own a smaller one 12v. That's OK for small house

Sent from my Lenovo K50-t5 using Tapatalk

Tamone does everything "differently". He has me hopping and skipping

I just spray fungicide + pesticide and spread lime stone over the floor.

What fungicide and pesticide should I order? What mix?

I spraying white oil every Fruiting day in the morning.

What do I ask for when asking for white oil and from where? Could you write it in Thai for me?

alcohol+my formula in the evening, both after harvest.

You mix alcohol with the formula? You spray every evening even when the bags are dormant? Why do you mix alcohol in with the formula?

You mentioned that you treat slime mould with alcohol. I assume that this is over and above your daily routine and applied when necessary. Do you use alcohol on its own? Do you open the bag and give it a generous or light spray?

Tamone does everything "differently". He has me hopping and skipping

I just spray fungicide + pesticide and spread lime stone over the floor.

What fungicide and pesticide should I order? What mix?

can I answer this question privately, when you come to my place?(If you planned to come) There's not thing secret but it has more detail about how to use it. This country is not so open about chemical with mushroom. Last time I talk(give an advice to a new farmer) about how I grow my mushroom by not the same way as they did and chemical things in public(facebook group) I've got attacked by the group of &*%*^!@ farmers post-4641-1156694005.gif, then I lost my 5 years FB account T^T (I really love my peoples :P ). But If you still want to know it now, I can PM you what I use.

I spraying white oil every Fruiting day in the morning.

What do I ask for when asking for white oil and from where? Could you write it in Thai for me?

Just ask them for white oil or petrolium oil. It has no other thai name. There are at least 3 brands in the market, but now I use this brand SK99 ordered from Korat in a dozen box of 1500+ baht.

When you mix white oil with water you should pouring a little(like 1/3) in to water then mix it thoroughly then add the left and mix again. And don't mix white oil with any sticking(wetting) agents, it will lost it's effect.

There is some funny stuff about white oil, sticking agents and those farmers. When I advice some one to add sticking agents to fertilizer before spray to improve (I don't know how to say in english, but you'll know). They going mad and blame me that mushroom cannot contact with any kind of chemical. sticking agents is chemical thing, so No No, then #$@%$^& ..... I just .... facepalm.gif

another one that I advice to use white oil and show her label. when she saw "Aliphatic hydrocarbon" and "Petroleum oil .... 83.9% W/V EC" she scared and ask me "is that dangerous chemical ? you sure I can use this with my mushroom ?" facepalm.gif

alcohol+my formula in the evening, both after harvest.

You mix alcohol with the formula? You spray every evening even when the bags are dormant? Why do you mix alcohol in with the formula?

You mentioned that you treat slime mould with alcohol. I assume that this is over and above your daily routine and applied when necessary. Do you use alcohol on its own? Do you open the bag and give it a generous or light spray?

Yes, I mix alcohol to my formula then add to the water. It's help dissolve fat content from raw milk to the mix. I only spray this mix when I watered(wetting period).

Slime mould is not a big problem for me. Cause I don't let my grow house stay wet for longer than 5 days. It may appear at the last month in some bag that infected by fly larvae or other mould before(like in the picture I shown you) but when I stop watering and let it dried, Slime disappear when it's still in yellow net stage, so it's cannot spreading to other bags. This is reason why I try to advice other new farmer(and all my customers) to do wet and dry method but almost all of them didn't get my point.saai.gif

to answer your question. If you saw a bag with slime it's good to spray it before it wide spread. Just use a small foggy and spray to the area like wash it off. no need to open the bag (that's like open the door for other pests)

I saw your bag Pic that you still keep the collar ? I don't recommend all my customers to do that. Next batch, you should try to learn how to pick a mushroom without collar. If you can do, that help to keep your bag stay in a good... (don't know how to say in english againtongue.png )

today(and tomorow) I put new bags in. maybe I cannot answer you in daytime

mvevDDS.jpg

TeI1yE4.jpg

You have been at this for five years? Mushrooms are as difficult as kids. They keep you busy. Kids also the reason we will only be able to get across to you when they are on holiday. But yes the last batch of bags I bought have no collar and I wondered why. Will PM you. No rush. I am learning. That also takes time. smile.png

You have been at this for five years? Mushrooms are as difficult as kids. They keep you busy. Kids also the reason we will only be able to get across to you when they are on holiday. But yes the last batch of bags I bought have no collar and I wondered why. Will PM you. No rush. I am learning. That also takes time. smile.png

Maybe longer than that, It's take me some time in learning process(like you do now). My family used to do mushroom farm when I'm studies at university(in Chiangmai), I just come to help them when vaccation. They do it old style, bamboo structure, grass roof and wall, dirt floor, dark inside grow house, everyday watering by water hose . At that time they don't use any pesticide(organic or chemical).

When I start my own, I start with wood structure and grass roof like they did before but I use a plastic cloth as wall,I choose to use this rack system and sand floor with concrete walkway cause I've leared when I come to help my parent and I've found dirt floor is so dirty and hard to working with, bags stacking(like you do) has many bad point(don't know how to say) . I use a fogger nozzle for watering. This house got modified alot. after 2 batch of bags, I've got the idea for my new house. And it's a long story about how I tried many many way to control the pest and disease (I spend a lot of money on this things)

Yes, Mushroom are difficult but.... for me It's be like playing a game. when I facing with problems, I just tried to win them. It's may look so hard when you start because many problem comming in the same time, just try to solve it one by one. When I start to experiment, I almost stay at grown house all day to watch the fly, humidity in my grow house (so I know how often to set the timer), how fast the mushroom grow in one day, this let me know when is the right time to harvest. There are many thing to learn by myself cause I choose to grow by my own way. At that time, some farmer come to my place and ask me "Is this your grow house !?" ha ha ha cheesy.gif . But now, they come to take a picture and ask me for the plan giggle.gif

OK. this post take me like an hour to writing in englishlaugh.png now it's time to work . will talk to you later biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to figure out which bugs are which. Do you recognise these two?

20160630_135501.jpg

As I understand it the midge like flies start as a wriggly larva which hatches into "a thousand" little specks that run really fast. These then grow into the flies that ignore the sticky plastic traps I put up. These flies also spread stuff like slimemould. Am I moving in the right direction?

Edited by backtofront

That looks like it. Any idea what the other beetle is? They start off tiny and grow. We had an invasion every night for ten days just after winter. I was assured happens every year. But I suspect if this is the case we had way more than is usual because of the mushrooms.

I never seen that beetle too. is it looks the same as this one  ?  If it's the same, read this http://www.doa.go.th/research/attachment.php?aid=218  (in thai)

some info from http://192.248.43.136:8080/jspui/bitstream/1/1879/2/PGIATAR-8-377.pdf

It is reported that Cyllodes biplagiatus (Bovimg and Roger) and C. alei, C. literatus infest Pleurotus sp. in Japan and C. whiteii infest Pleurotus Sajar caju in India (Johal et al., 1992), but nothing has been reported about C. bifacies.

Edited by tamone
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/28/2016 at 9:04 PM, tamone said:

What do you plan to do next ?

But before you do anything, I would suggest you to visit other farm as many as you can. You will get alot of good idea to adapt to use at your farm. When i get start, I did like you do tried experiment myself. I've got meny problem then I go to visit other farm that allow me to go to look and ask my question. But some(most) farmer just lying to me (I think you already know this), that's why need to I go to many farm ask the same question but got difference answer. And there a lot of place to go to learn as one day course that you can find from internet.

Today I just finish my bagging job. They will ready to send to my customer in the next 25-30 days (mycelium fully covered). If you have time, you and your wife can come to visit me at my place, so I can explain you a lot better than this about detail of how I grow my mushroom(don't worry, I have not thing to sell to you biggrin.png) and bring you to my customer's farm if you want. It's a long distance, I know, just tell you.

Sir, are you engage in mushroom farming? I've learned so much of your technique.