Every Picture Tells a Story: It’s the People You Meet Every Day

It’s the People You Meet Every Day
story-6.jpg
Every Picture Tells a Story #6
Welcome to “Every Picture Tells a Story”; a weekly post about living in Thailand. Each week we’ll post a picture that illustrates some of the little things those of us fortunate enough to live here hold dear.
You can come here on holiday for a few weeks or months and never really get to know any Thai people. They aren’t all that intrusive a bunch of folks and if you want to be left alone, they’ll oblige.
But, if you come here to stay, meeting and forming relationships with Thai people is inevitable.
The maintenance guy at my condo building cannot understand my Thai and he does not speak English. So, he speaks to me in Thai … I reply in English … and somehow we manage to communicate some pretty difficult concepts and instructions to each other.
He takes care of my plants while I’m gone. He started my car every day for 3 months when I was on an extended trip. I bring him new baseball hats when I return from trips back home. He acts insulted when I try to give him money.
The other day I was introducing a newcomer to the wonders of Rompho Market in Jomtien Beach. As I walked him around to each part of the market, I found myself engaged in conversation with all my favorite vendors and explaining to my friend, “And this is K. Lek, she is my fruit lady” or “this is K. Da, she is my somtam lady”.
The story this week’s picture tells is about K. Team, she is my chicken lady. When I introduced her to my newcomer friend, I said, “K. Team has been feeding me delicious grilled chicken for … how many years Team?” “Six years” she replied, and added “Two times one week”.
I was stunned it had been that long. Six years … twice a week … that’s a lot of chicken! I thought back to when I first moved to the neighborhood and the long conversations she and I would have; me always trying to obtain her secret recipe … her smiling and not giving it up.
I’ve had the same dentist for 10 years … same manicure/pedicure lady 8 years … same laundry girl for 6 years … same accountant for 7 years … same pest control guy 7 years … same Indian tailor making me shirts since 1999.
One of the best parts of living in Thailand … the people you meet every day that become part of your life.
Orlando Barton
inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-02-13

I feel the same.I was the first customer at one friends coffee shop she still has my 20 baht in front of her register.It is a good reminder of knowing her 8 years.I go to a party at friends and see their children and see how they have grown I feel part of the community. Some times it is good to reflect.

Well done. I love this idea.

As a foreigner, simply smiling at Thai people brings instant pleasure and a micro-moment of joy - because it is inevitably returned, and just beautiful to see.

I cannot think of any other country where the people have this delightful ability.

One way or another all the "lovely" Thai people in the OP, with whom he has met and formed a "relationship", seem to be employed by or providing a "paid for product" to Orlando.

Yes, you can see the hard-hearted cynicism written all over her bitter and twisted features in the staged photo. Heaven forbid that she actually likes any of her long standing regular customers - especially any falang ones.

One way or another all the "lovely" Thai people in the OP, with whom he has met and formed a "relationship", seem to be employed by or providing a "paid for product" to Orlando.

I wonder if you got a smile from your trash collector that you would presume it was because his income came from your rubbish.

To Orlando--------- good on ya mate keep it up.I feel the same way with the people around me--- 9yrs now----- and yes they are indeed friends and lovely people even though we have a frustrating language barrier.I do not think I will ever be able to speak more than a smattering of Thai but I realised a long time ago that trying to make a conversation with these people is half the fun,and my mistakes quite often make them laugh.Treat it as all part of living in Thailand.,and to all you Falang that whine and bitch about so many facets of life here------- TRY IT--- YOU MIGHT LIKE IT