How To Tie Sarong Without Slit For Waist Ties ?

WaiWai

Here's a question for those who aren't as challenged by practical matters as I and who have some spare time over the long weekend.

Sarongs I have bought previously have had a slit in the waist band through which you can pass the tie. This is drawn around to meet the other tie and the two ends are then easily fastened together. It serves to keep the waist fitting snugly and the hemline even.

I have bought a couple of sarongs that have no such slit. Do I just wind the ties over the top of the waist section and fasten or am I supposed to make a slit to fit my waistline ? What's the proper technique ?

Lady and gentleman sarong afficionadoes, please help this sartorially and practically challenged wannabe.

Edited by WaiWai

my sarongs I wear around the house are just a straight tube , no strings/ties , and I just fold them back and roll to secure

Yep mine are the same, fold in the excess at the front, roll the top like you do your bath towel :o

Had to wear a Malay sarong (different name I think) to a wedding, cheated by rolling a belt into the top (a dropped sarong can lead to embarrassment) :D:)

I can probably offer advice based on tying the Burmese Longyi - again the straight tube. Securing for men and woman differ so i'll try to describe them both.

Men: Bit of a knack needed here. Whilst wearing the garment, have the thumbs inside and at either side of the body pulling it tight (move arms away).now in one movement, you've sort of got to get the left hand over to the right, and the right over to the left, whilst keeping the middle portion where it is...if you do it right, you'll end up with both ends overlapping each other. You then tuck one end into the other, like a towel and there you go.

Female: bit different. Pull only one side with your thumb away from your body. Put your other hand on the opposing waist - and then fold the part you pulled away around your body and tuck - a bit like a wrap..

I hope that makes sense.

K

Female: bit different. Pull only one side with your thumb away from your body. Put your other hand on the opposing waist - and then fold the part you pulled away around your body and tuck - a bit like a wrap..

K

I always tie mine the female way, its looks far neater and is a dam site easier to do.

MM