UK and Thai Law

toryboy1979

I have issued a petition to divorce my Thai wife through the county court in my home town in the UK and the papers have been sent to her. Forgetting whether she will acknowledge the petition, thats another matter, I am being told by her that she proposes to sue for divorce in the Thai court. Can she do this and will the Thai court allow her action to proceed having already been sent the UK divorce petition. Anyone and knowledge on this matter rather than conjecture.

/coninuing on from my original question I have been given two different answers by colleagues.

1. If the marriage takes place in Thailand and the divorce in England, the Thai courts will not recognised the divorce.

2. If the marriage takes place in Thailand and the divorce in England, in order for it to be recognised it the Decree Nisi and Absolute have to be translated into Thai and legalised by the Legalisation Office at the MOFA in Bangkok.

Anybody know the answer. No conjecture please.

I married in Thailand and divorced in the UK,went to the Amphur in Bang Rak?,Bangkok(where we married) to check if we were still classified as married in Thailand,we are.

My ex would not meet to sign the divorce papers here,but the officer said to get a certified copy of my Degree Absolute and this would allow me to re-marry in Thailand and my ex would get into trouble for not advising them about the divorce as its her responsibly to inform them.

Which I did for 2500b?,I've not re-married yet. So a translation may be required if I ever did and of course the freedom to marry etc or possibly for the Amphur to divorce.

If you could get your ex to agree to meet and I believe you have to state the financials have been agreed etc,before the divorce is granted.

Its very easy and cheap to divorce at the Amphur,if both parties agree,not so thru the courts.

Hope this helps.

Archived