Mosquito traps : do they really work ?

JohnnyJazz

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sealed the house up air tight and only have outside lights on with a pir sensor as many Thais have a light on outside their houses all night in some attempt to deter burglars but attract every insect for miles around which then attracts the next pest ... forever crapping jing joks........i get neither and any that do get on the walls get whacked and dispatched, Id rather not have to repaint the house. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the yeast/sugar trap and trapped plenty of mosquitoes. BUT that thing smells like brewery and attracts a lot of mosquitoes that do not find their way into the trap so the overall mosquito population rises. Strictly for outdoor use only!

Next problem, it works only until the sugar has been consumed by the yeast or the yeast died in the alcohol it produced. Whichever way around, after a couple of days this setup loses its mojo.

In the last couple of days we had a significant increase in mosquitoes without anything changed in our environment - other than the weather getting hotter. I just finished off well over 100 buggers with the zapper in bedroom and bathroom. Only in the bathtub I counted over 50 of them! Cannot remember having had it that bad before.

Trapping/zapping mosquitoes is not the answer.

Reducing the population of mosquitoes is.

Most mosquitoes have a limited flight range and breed locally. Cleaning up the local environment, eliminating all stagnant water will reduce the population.

We also have two small fish ponds, one at the front and one at the rear of the house and are rarely bothered with mosquitoes.

Trapping/zapping mosquitoes is not the answer.

Reducing the population of mosquitoes is.

Most mosquitoes have a limited flight range and breed locally. Cleaning up the local environment, eliminating all stagnant water will reduce the population.

We also have two small fish ponds, one at the front and one at the rear of the house and are rarely bothered with mosquitoes.

The problem is everywhere in Thailand, especially Bangkok, are drainage canals...stagnant water that just screams mosquito breeding haven. They can treat this water but they do not because there are other downsides of chemical use. Spraying is the best option for many places where breeding pools (rice fields), drainage canals and ditches are a necessary part of the landscape. But Thailand does not spray a whole lot...I have never seen spraying in BKK, back home in NE USA all summer at regular intervals the trucks would be at it.

I looked all over the perimeter today, no standing water anywhere. The vase in the living room gets the water changed every day. All toilets, showers etc get flushed every day.

The maid said it would be the waste land behind the house where they come from. Looks like we're doomed.

I was in a resort in Khao yai, surrounded with a nice green garden, river, ponds and there were NO mosquito's at all.

How is it posibble? It also was not on the top of a high mountain or so but close to that main road with all the restaurants.

why dont you get the blue light zapper. you can use them indoor and outdoors. much better then traps or nasty chemicals.

(if you can find one, again the knuckleheads in this country just dont get it)

I was in a resort in Khao yai, surrounded with a nice green garden, river, ponds and there were NO mosquito's at all.

How is it posibble? It also was not on the top of a high mountain or so but close to that main road with all the restaurants.

better living thru chemicals ?

An urn full of water and little fish in the yard will help keep the population down. The mossies lay their eggs in the water and the fish eat the larvae.

Yes, I see these urns outside allover. Where do the fish come from and could I set this up in a semi closed area? What would I need to provide for the fish and how long do they live?

An urn full of water and little fish in the yard will help keep the population down. The mossies lay their eggs in the water and the fish eat the larvae.

Yes, I see these urns outside allover. Where do the fish come from and could I set this up in a semi closed area? What would I need to provide for the fish and how long do they live?

the urns might work if they are the only water source around ,

but if there are old tires or buckets around I doubt if the mosquitoes pick one place over the other ,

Have just revisited this article hoping to find someone with really good answers.

I made the "sock" project with mozzie net over the fan front and installed blue and white LEDS on the input side of the fan

Got lots of insects and moths but not one mozzie. Now have some very bright green LEDS to try.

Apparently different varieties of mozzies are attracted to different coloured lights.

Suggestions on this aspect of the project please?

BTW saw a documentary on the effect of Zikka virus on Brazilian babies. How utterly devastating, how sad.

Edited by Jing Joe

The only thing that really works is that liquid with the heater you plug into a socket. Occasionally also one finds their way into the ultraviolet trap, but that's rare. Anything ultrasonic will not work, mosquitoes can't hear.

Other than that these burning spirals do work too, but that's not something you want in your bedroom.

Also, look out for any standing water, there is larvae poison in small green/white/blue bags, the locals call it "sand", looks like sand. Put it in any place where water could sit for a couple of days. Will get rid of the beasts.

Nice to say keep it clean 100 meters around you , but that is a HUGE area , and probably you do not own all that property ,

it really needs to a community thing , Every night on TV showing what to do , cartoons showing what to do , billboards etc ,

it really needs to be a war on mosquitoes , a war you never win because when you slack off they come back ,

They did this "war" years ago in Brazil and most of the mosquitoes in that area were gone......but since they were gone no one kept up the work since they had "WON" .....well you see what happened ,,,,,,,

Nice to say keep it clean 100 meters around you , but that is a HUGE area , and probably you do not own all that property ,

it really needs to a community thing , Every night on TV showing what to do , cartoons showing what to do , billboards etc ,

it really needs to be a war on mosquitoes , a war you never win because when you slack off they come back ,

They did this "war" years ago in Brazil and most of the mosquitoes in that area were gone......but since they were gone no one kept up the work since they had "WON" .....well you see what happened ,,,,,,,

One can never win when faced with human stupidity !

The answer to the problem is known -----it takes no real effort to implement and maintain the solution but if people are just to idle to be bothered they and their children will suffer --------reflect the "blame" back to those responsible for failing to clean up !

• 3 weeks later...

step one achieved. got some yeast. this has taken me weeks of intermittent looking.

step 2 sugar. i hate this stuff and the thought of having it in my possession is distasteful. think i will pilfer some from a place which has in on the table rather than buy a bag which i will have to hold.

Edited by fatdog 702 inches

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to stop mossies.

The mossie traps worked, but still lots of mossies around so I got fed up with cleaning out the trap.

The coils also work to drive them away - but often they're not practical for different reasons, mainly to do with noxious fumes.

My house is pretty isolated and the only source of water (apart from the sea) are my ponds and aquariums - obviously all have fish in them - and yet mossies are still a problem.

I even used the services of mossie/ant exterminators for a couple of years (they come round monthly and spray everywhere) - but that didn't get rid of the mossies.

I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to stop mossies.

The mossie traps worked, but still lots of mossies around so I got fed up with cleaning out the trap.

The coils also work to drive them away - but often they're not practical for different reasons, mainly to do with noxious fumes.

My house is pretty isolated and the only source of water (apart from the sea) are my ponds and aquariums - obviously all have fish in them - and yet mossies are still a problem.

I even used the services of mossie/ant exterminators for a couple of years (they come round monthly and spray everywhere) - but that didn't get rid of the mossies.

not actually true. i had a way which was so effective that a close relative destroyed it claiming the the gekkos were screaming too much because they had nothing to eat. no not going to tell you. wasnt instant, took sometime to clear the area. Edited by fatdog 702 inches

When you are outdoor what works is to have fans all around the area, for example when you have 4 or 6 fans around a dining table it's hard to find any mosquito.

It's so easy to avoid mosquitoes that I wonder why people keep complaining that it's not easy to eat outdoor. What must be difficult is to be them and never be able to have a single idea to find a single solution to a single problem :-)

When you are outdoor what works is to have fans all around the area, for example when you have 4 or 6 fans around a dining table it's hard to find any mosquito.

It's so easy to avoid mosquitoes that I wonder why people keep complaining that it's not easy to eat outdoor. What must be difficult is to be them and never be able to have a single idea to find a single solution to a single problem :-)

We have 2 fans above us and 1 at the floor when we eat outside but still get stung sometimes.

Fans on the floor also work well but can't find a waterproof one.

When we had a small pond with waterfalls there were far more mosquito's around the house.

We have 2 fans above us and 1 at the floor when we eat outside but still get stung sometimes.

When we had a small pond with waterfalls there were far more mosquito's around the house.

You should have put fish in the pond !

We have a pond, fish and no mosquitoes ..............................

Useless.

You need to have fans all around the table, I mean at least 4, and if it is always windy around your legs mosquitoes won't come close.

• 2 weeks later...